LionessDeon

LPR traveling to Canada with Green Card Only

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I was just curious if anyone here has had the experience of traveling from the USA to Canada and back on strictly a green card.  My husband is a Jamaican citizen.  Normally, he would need a visa to enter Canada.  Family members tell us he can travel to and from Canada by using his green card alone.  I'm extremely concerned of re-entry issues.  Any one not from Canada tried using their green card to go back and forth?  If so, any problems??

Edited by LionessDeon

Timeline
9 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

Thank you for this!  I was hoping to get some personal experience also.  What we know to be true on government websites and forums doesn't always happen at the border.  I guess I'm more concerned with the USA re-entry part.

Edited by LionessDeon

@LionessDeon,

My wife and I have traveled to Canada numerous times with her green card and her Dominican passport and there was absolutely no problems. The first time we drove through the custom's border, my wife was shocked on how easy and fast it was. They simply ask if you have anything on you (drugs, weapons, etc) and how long you plan to stay. All of our crossings have been road crossings so I don't have info on flying to Canada.

Hope this helps.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
1 minute ago, NuestraUnion said:

@LionessDeon,

My wife and I have traveled to Canada numerous times with her green card and her Dominican passport and there was absolutely no problems. The first time we drove through the custom's border, my wife was shocked on how easy and fast it was. They simply ask if you have anything on you (drugs, weapons, etc) and how long you plan to stay. All of our crossings have been road crossings so I don't have info on flying to Canada.

Hope this helps.

Yes, exactly what I was looking for.  We will most likely cross at the ambassador bridge/windsor location.  After everything we went through, the last thing I want to do is start over or have to get a lawyer again lol.  Slightly paranoid.  Thank you NuestraUnion!

Technically,  a green card gets you entrance (pending approval from Canadian immigration) to enter Canada. 

It's always up to the people at the border whether you'll be allowed in or not. 

Edited by Redheadguy03

11 minutes ago, LionessDeon said:

Yes, exactly what I was looking for.  We will most likely cross at the ambassador bridge/windsor location.  After everything we went through, the last thing I want to do is start over or have to get a lawyer again lol.  Slightly paranoid.  Thank you NuestraUnion!

Trust me, I remember your case and understand why you are cautious. You should not have any problems.

Enjoy your trip!!!

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
1 hour ago, NuestraUnion said:

Trust me, I remember your case and understand why you are cautious. You should not have any problems.

Enjoy your trip!!!

I've been talking with a friend who is a Canadian immigration lawyer and advised to bring some back up documentation just in case.  I have a folder we travel with just for that reason.  Thanks again

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Glad you asked this, was researching this recently. And I did see where they could travel to Canada on green card. I’m away s nervous as well, especially in the current political climate. Just curious, what other documentation are you taking as back up?

Timeline
2 hours ago, angelbrown said:

Glad you asked this, was researching this recently. And I did see where they could travel to Canada on green card. I’m away s nervous as well, especially in the current political climate. Just curious, what other documentation are you taking as back up?

His passport, our marriage certificate, the I-485 approval letter, social security card, birth certificate, and we will add in proof of employment.   

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Getting back into the US should be the easy part since you have a green card. Thats like going to any other country and returning to the US what you need is the green card to enter the US. You will need an eTA if you're flying to Canada tho. 

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.