Rhythmlicious

Advice needed!

27 posts in this topic

@Rhythmlicious

I did the J1 with GACCA as well. They have a pool of companies that offer internships. Might be worth checking out which openings they have. I was doing my internship at a Alternative Marketing and Branded Entertainment company in Downtown Los Angeles. 

6 minutes ago, Californiansunset said:

He can provide the housing on any visa you are on but I would never use the word "sponsor" in front of a CO talking about your partner. For both B and J1 you need to show ties to your home country so selling your house wouldn't be ideal at all for either of those visas.

B visa extensions are taking around 7 or 8 months to process, so even if it gets denied you can stay in the U.S. until a decision is made... that just as a side note....

I agree with Boiler though that J1 could be a better option for you. You will have to find a company in Los Angeles that is willing to go through the hassle of doing the J1 paperwork for you though. 

Ah, sorry I didn't know that. I'm still really new to all this. 

I think I'll just go find some information about the J1 first. Thanks for all the information though!

Just wondering, how long would a J1 take in case I actually would end up finding a company? Best case scenario?

Weddingday - 07-17-2018

Sent I130 - 10-01-2018

Received NOA1 - 10-15-2018
Received NOA2 - 07-05-2019

DQ - 05-11-2020
Interview - 08-04-2020

Filed N400 - 01-05-2024
Biometrics appt - 02-01-2024
Interview - 04-03-2024

14 minutes ago, Rhythmlicious said:

Ah, sorry I didn't know that. I'm still really new to all this. 

I think I'll just go find some information about the J1 first. Thanks for all the information though!

Just wondering, how long would a J1 take in case I actually would end up finding a company? Best case scenario?

It depends how fast your future company is in providing your training plans and other documents. If you end up with a company that has had J1 interns before they usually just tailor the documents to your needs and it can be pretty fast. I think my total turn around was only 1-2 months. I'm pretty sure my skype interview with the company was in june and I had the visa in hand beginning of August or even late July. But finding the company is the part that takes so long. For my sister for example it took a good 3 months of just going back and forth with her J1 company until she had the necessary documents. That's when a helping organization like GACCCA comes in handy cause they assist the company in getting your papers ready. Downside is that I had to pay GACCA I think almost 1,000EUR to help me with finding the company and helping with the documents. They also prepare you for the interview at the consulate and brief you in answering the questions the CO will have. You have to figure out whether it's wirth the money or whether you think you can find a company on your own (cause that's the difficult part). 

13 minutes ago, Californiansunset said:

It depends how fast your future company is in providing your training plans and other documents. If you end up with a company that has had J1 interns before they usually just tailor the documents to your needs and it can be pretty fast. I think my total turn around was only 1-2 months. I'm pretty sure my skype interview with the company was in june and I had the visa in hand beginning of August or even late July. But finding the company is the part that takes so long. For my sister for example it took a good 3 months of just going back and forth with her J1 company until she had the necessary documents. That's when a helping organization like GACCCA comes in handy cause they assist the company in getting your papers ready. Downside is that I had to pay GACCA I think almost 1,000EUR to help me with finding the company and helping with the documents. They also prepare you for the interview at the consulate and brief you in answering the questions the CO will have. You have to figure out whether it's wirth the money or whether you think you can find a company on your own (cause that's the difficult part). 

Thanks so much! At least it gives me something more specific to look into. 

Weddingday - 07-17-2018

Sent I130 - 10-01-2018

Received NOA1 - 10-15-2018
Received NOA2 - 07-05-2019

DQ - 05-11-2020
Interview - 08-04-2020

Filed N400 - 01-05-2024
Biometrics appt - 02-01-2024
Interview - 04-03-2024

Filed: F-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Hi OP, I'm from the Netherlands too.

If you can get your partner support you with the financial funding, you can opt for a student visa.

Some community colleges don't require that much, around 18000. Is still a decent amount of money, but I've seen a lot of international students who were able to show that kind of money.

About your house, there is an organisation that can find you tenants and they do all the paperwork for you for a reasonable price. They make a special contract which protects your rights. I did that for almost three years because I wanted to make sure I had something to go back to.

Also, if you opt for a F-1 student visa, by Dutch law you're required to keep your Dutch health insurance which is a GREAT benefit. On the other hand most colleges require you to have their insurance, but sometimes they will wave  this requirement if you can proof that you're insured.

Let me know if you want more information.

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
3 hours ago, Rhythmlicious said:

That 'job' does sound interesting!

I'm not saying it's too short. I mean I already know that I want to be with this guy. To me it's way easier to just deal with it and choose between k1 or cr1. It's mainly my partner.

My main problem with the 6 months is that I wouldn't have an income that will pay for my house in NL. And it's too short to me to actually sell the place already since I'll need a place to live when I come back. And renting is not easy here.

Not sure where your house is located, but maybe you can Air B&B it. Rent it to travelers as a way to pay the note on the house. If you have a friend to kinda watch over it for you, and you can throw them some of the cash for helping, might work out.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
10 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Not sure where your house is located, but maybe you can Air B&B it. Rent it to travelers as a way to pay the note on the house. If you have a friend to kinda watch over it for you, and you can throw them some of the cash for helping, might work out.

Banks in the Netherlands usually don't allow this. She has to ask for permission.

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

I think that your only chance of a visa is through marriage unfortunately. Because no matter what other visa you apply to they will see if you have a boyfriend in the states and will consider you at high risk of immigrating. That’s a big red flag. They’ll find out that he lived with you for a while and they’ll see that it looks like you’re trying to make the move there without the proper channels. There is a really high chance of you getting denied. From all you’ve said you don’t have a lot of strong ties to your home country. 

You can can always apply for a K1 Visa. You don’t have to get married right away, you have 90 days. And applying for a K1 isn’t a fast process either. If you apply now, it will be very close to 2 years until you have to be married. That’s plenty of time. He can come visit you more times during the process and so can you. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
2 hours ago, -Trinity- said:

Banks in the Netherlands usually don't allow this. She has to ask for permission.

That is interesting, I knew these forums would be an excellent source of information. I would never had known that. You learn something new every day. I can understand why, due to insurance and liability, etc. guess if I ever get to the Netherlands I won't be Air B&B it.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
18 hours ago, Boiler said:

If he is prepared to fund your further education I would go with that.

I believe you can also apply for the DV Lottery.

DV lottery is closed until October 2018 for 2019 

in case it is still there/  Senator from Arkansas started a motion to cancel it

and Trump wants this done

further education:   apply to a higher instirution usually by Novemeber (community colleges anytime)  for the following school year and ask the university attorney to help with immigration / still this is not a fast process

If you are not wanting marriage why not just stay where you are comfortable and study and get to know him / as seen in past posts the US can be quite lonely and scary even to be with a loved one?

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

That is interesting, I knew these forums would be an excellent source of information. I would never had known that. You learn something new every day. I can understand why, due to insurance and liability, etc. guess if I ever get to the Netherlands I won't be Air B&B it.

You can rent through AirB&B, although Amsterdam just changed some legislation which restricts people to rent their place. I think limit it's going to be 30 days a year. 

As far as renting out your house when you have mortgage, persmission is needed because tenants are protected by Dutch law. Banks don't want to end up with messy situations, like tenants who break the house down, don't want to leave or even worse start a  certain plant growing business.

For me it gave me peace of mind to do it the legal way, I would have been stressing out otherwise.

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Imo...you have vwp...it's easiest to keep working and visiting and then decide either k1 or cr1...those are your BEST options. Just give it a few more visits and explain to him your option to be together is k1 or cr1.

Basically keep living your.live in the Netherlands and continue to make visits to each other and see if this is what you want. 

But if he isn't ready for marriagenit will make your relstio ship tough so then u mayh need to move on. 

Edited by caliliving

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.