45 posts in this topic

Hi, 

Does anyone know what days/ times Customs & Border Protection (CPB )has "public windows"?  I know that they have this at various Canadian international airports where the public can go & ask them questions. 

I tried calling CBP at Pearson but they only take calls during 11am- 2pm from Monday-Friday.  No one picked up the phone during those hours today & they have a public holiday on Monday.  

I overstayed a month in the US because I was waiting for a renewed Canadian passport.  I didn't realize that I could've returned to Canada as long as I had a government issued id.  That was 3 1/2 years ago.  Am I banned indefinitely or is there a time period that I have to wait until I can return to the US?  Will this affect future visas (eg work, fiance visa etc).  

43 minutes ago, Toronto36 said:

I overstayed a month in the US because I was waiting for a renewed Canadian passport.  I didn't realize that I could've returned to Canada as long as I had a government issued id.  That was 3 1/2 years ago.  Am I banned indefinitely or is there a time period that I have to wait until I can return to the US?  Will this affect future visas (eg work, fiance visa etc).  

Overstays can effect future visas for sure. But your overstay was less than 180 days So I wouldn't be as concerned. It definitely may be harder to convince the USA that you will leave if you get another visa though.

But no you aren't banned indefinitely for 1 short overstay.

Canadians don't need normally need visas to enter the US as a tourist.  CPB told me after the overstay that i needed to get a visa so i did even though US consulate couldn't understand why.  However the visa was just recently revoked with no reason given.  I talked to CBP & they said that i needed to contact the US consulate.  The US consulate denied me a 2nd visa & said that i needed to contact CBP.   They apparently don't coordinate because they are 2 different agencies.  i'm very confused. 

6 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

~~Related threads merged. Please keep all your questions to this one thread. It is actually better to have your questions together for members to follow along and give the best replies possible.~~ 

sorry, i tried to post it under a different thread / topic but it looks like they grouped them

Just now, Boiler said:

Why were you denied a a visa?

Were you offered a waiver?

i showed us consulate that i had strong ties to canada (entire family is here, bank statements, apt purchase) but they said i had to talk to CBP. that's the only reason they gave me for denial.

what is this waiver?  i was not offered one. 

You can try to cross the border with your car. That is the easiest way to find out if you can or not. 

They usually deny visitor visas for people who do not need visas (e.g. Canadians, Western Europe).

Edited by Coco8

Back to Top ↑

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Try asking our VJ Immigration Lawyers.