kg nervez

Student visa

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Are you already studying in the US and have an F1 visa? 

Local Field office: Raleigh, NC

Filed I-130, I130A, I-485, I-765 & I-864
Date Mailed: 01/25/2018
Date Received: 01/30/2018
Date Received NOA Letters: 02/06/2018
Received Biometrics Letter: 02/17/2018
Biometrics Done: 02/26/2018
RFIE (I485): 02/23/2018
RFIE in mailbox: 3/3/2018
RFIE received by USCIS: 3/8/2018
USCIS update - EAD being produced and sent to me: 5/25
EAD sent me to: 5/31
I-485 "ready to schedule interview: 6/1
EAD in hand: 6/4
i485 interview notice has been sent in the mail: 6/4

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Who will issue the F1 in the first place? I am pretty sure that you are then bound to that school since the school will be your F1 visa sponsor. 

Local Field office: Raleigh, NC

Filed I-130, I130A, I-485, I-765 & I-864
Date Mailed: 01/25/2018
Date Received: 01/30/2018
Date Received NOA Letters: 02/06/2018
Received Biometrics Letter: 02/17/2018
Biometrics Done: 02/26/2018
RFIE (I485): 02/23/2018
RFIE in mailbox: 3/3/2018
RFIE received by USCIS: 3/8/2018
USCIS update - EAD being produced and sent to me: 5/25
EAD sent me to: 5/31
I-485 "ready to schedule interview: 6/1
EAD in hand: 6/4
i485 interview notice has been sent in the mail: 6/4

23 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

You have to be e full-time student at a university so you cannot be full-time student  in two places at the same time. Is that what you are planning to do or what? It is confusing.

I'm going to finish an Associate Degree first in a Community College. After that, I will move forward to taking a Bachelor's degree to a University. 

4 hours ago, kg nervez said:

I'm going to finish an Associate Degree first in a Community College. After that, I will move forward to taking a Bachelor's degree to a University. 

Then you have to do a visa for the associate degree. At this point you do not even have been admitted to a university for a bachelor degree. 

Edited by Coco8

21 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

Then you have to do a visa for the associate degree. At this point you do not even have been admitted to a university for a bachelor degree. 

Will the embassy give me student visa for 4yrs if I say that I am going to pursue Bachelor's degree after the Associate degree? or I should be the one applying for an extention of my visa once I am there and my Associate degree is almost finished?

1 hour ago, kg nervez said:

Will the embassy give me student visa for 4yrs if I say that I am going to pursue Bachelor's degree after the Associate degree? or I should be the one applying for an extention of my visa once I am there and my Associate degree is almost finished?

No, they cannot do that. They will give you a visa for the length of the associate degree. 

You can worry about the other stuff later, but you will have a new i-20. It is hard to predict in terms of dates, etc., but if you associate program ends on May and you Bachelor starts on September, you cannot stay in the US 4 months for the summer anyway. Your associate program ends and you have a 4-month gap so they will not extend your status for 4 months to start at the end of August/September. You will have to go home and get a new F-1 with the new i-20 from the other university.

I do not know why you are so worried about this. It is a long time from now and you have to travel to your country at some point.

21 minutes ago, Coco8 said:

No, they cannot do that. They will give you a visa for the length of the associate degree. 

You can worry about the other stuff later, but you will have a new i-20. It is hard to predict in terms of dates, etc., but if you associate program ends on May and you Bachelor starts on September, you cannot stay in the US 4 months for the summer anyway. Your associate program ends and you have a 4-month gap so they will not extend your status for 4 months to start at the end of August/September. You will have to go home and get a new F-1 with the new i-20 from the other university.

I do not know why you are so worried about this. It is a long time from now and you have to travel to your country at some point.

Thank you!! I am just thinking about thr expenses of going back and forth.. It will be quite expensive. Thanks again!

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
On 1/10/2018 at 9:31 PM, Coco8 said:

Yeah, that's not true.

When transferring schools, the visa does not matter. You could literally have a visa for 3 months, what matters is that you are in status. When transferring schools, especially from associate to bachelors, you are in a single continuous "student status", if you will. So summer vacation is just like taking a summer break in regular college - given that you have a valid I-20 and the record has been properly transferred to the receiving (4 year) institution, you can stay in the US.

@kg nervez make sure that you talk to your DSO once you are in the US about regulations on transfers. You will be doing a change of level, and an institution transfer.

6 hours ago, KurosawaSan said:

Yeah, that's not true.

When transferring schools, the visa does not matter. You could literally have a visa for 3 months, what matters is that you are in status. When transferring schools, especially from associate to bachelors, you are in a single continuous "student status", if you will. So summer vacation is just like taking a summer break in regular college - given that you have a valid I-20 and the record has been properly transferred to the receiving (4 year) institution, you can stay in the US.

@kg nervez make sure that you talk to your DSO once you are in the US about regulations on transfers. You will be doing a change of level, and an institution transfer.

Thank you! so to clear things, the embassy can give me 4yrs even if in thr meantime, I am only enrolled in an Associate degree and not yet in Bachelor's degree?

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

@kg nervez No. The US embassy, if they accept your visa application and grant you a visa, will decide for how long they give you a visa. Your input has no influence on that decision. It can be 4 years, or it can be 6 months.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.