12 posts in this topic

My fiance and I just applied for the k1 visa, our lawyer is sending the petition in the next days. A couple days a go we found out I was pregnant. My question and concern is:

By the time my visa is approved I'll be 7-8 months pregnant ( I'm from spain), so if i fly to the us to have the baby there with my fiance, does anyone knows is there some kind of insurance that I can get that will cover maternity. I've read that sometimes giving birth without an insurance can cost up to 20.000 dollars?? 

I've also read that as an immigrant I won't qualify right away for Medicare Medicaid. So what are my options??? 

I also appreciate if someone has flight 15 hours being 7-8 month pregnant and could tell me about it

Edited by Helena22

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations on your new arrival!  

However, I think you  need to do a bit more research.  A birth in the United States will cost, without insurance, a bit more than $2000.  Also, speak to you fiance and see what options his insurance company may be able to offer you.  Then look in to travel insurance to see if you can find one that covers a birth in the US.  

Lastly, look in to having the child in Spain.  Sadly, not all petitions take 7-8 months to process.  Many take much longer.

Good luck 

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Definitely more than 2,000 dollars. Birth in America is crazy expensive. 

Most travel insurance doesn't cover maternity care, but I'm sure there are some that do. So, research like crazy. 

You'll be lucky to get approved before you give birth, I'd definitely recommend a backup plan like previously stated. Always have a backup, immigration can be unpredictable and can be a lot lengthier than expected. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Along with the above mentioned, on the off chance you are approved before giving birth, you'll also want to research airlines and their respective rules/requirements regarding air travel in your third trimester.   

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

There are so many variables regarding pregnancy such as cost, potential complications, travel restrictions, visa delays, etc.  I suggest you make plans to have the baby in your country.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the IMBRA subforum to the Moving to the US forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

As others have said, the chances of having the K1 already within 9 months are relatively slim.  I read somewhere (I think on this forum) that every week at the moment is adding 16 business days (so functionally another 3 weeks) to processing times at USCIS. Not sure if that's the truth or not, but planning for the worst seems to be the clever thing when it comes to Immigration matters.

There are some travel insurances which may cover pregnancy related issues - ie if you have premature labour or etc, but I doubt that there are any which will cover a trip specifically for childbirth - the amount you're paying in vs. what they're paying out doesn't even have the element of a gamble for them, it's basically a certainty. Insurance is basically you pay for the chance that you'll need it, but for the company they're betting on the odds that you wont - which is why so many insurances don't cover pre-existing conditions for X amount of time - they'd rather get some money in from you before they're starting to gamble with their profits that the pre-existing condition will cost them to treat.  Best advice I can give is start researching now.   Ask your Fiance to find out if his health insurance would cover any of the cost given that it's his child. Honestly I don't know if there's any insurer which would do that, since technically the costs are incurred by you to have the child, and until you're married I doubt he can add you to his insurance.

As for the cost - my best friend is a USC and has excellent health cover through her employment.  She had her son nearly 4 years ago now and at the time the out-of-pocket cost to her was $17,000. I shudder to think what it would have cost without any kind of insurance.

Travelling before the birth - well that's dependant on finding an airline that allows for it (there are some that seem to not like it and impose so many restrictions on pregnant women as to make them functionally unable to fly - the potential problems and resultant delays probably aren't worth it to them) and once you've found an airline willing to take you, then it's a matter of getting your doctor to clear you (assuming you're healthy and able to fly long distance at the time). If you don't have a K1 yet and want to travel to give birth in the USA, you may still come across problems at POE as a heavily pregnant woman with a USC Fiance wanting to give birth in the USA who has shown previous immigration intention (ie: applying for the K1) - you'll have to show some iron-clad, dead-bolted ties to your country and demonstration of your intention to leave to be allowed in. 

Personally as long as childbirth is safe in your country, I'd say that it's going to be all around easier, less stressful and cheaper if your Fiance comes to you to be there for the first and as much time after the baby arrives as possible.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:27 PM, Helena22 said:

My fiance and I just applied for the k1 visa, our lawyer is sending the petition in the next days. A couple days a go we found out I was pregnant. My question and concern is:

By the time my visa is approved I'll be 7-8 months pregnant ( I'm from spain), so if i fly to the us to have the baby there with my fiance, does anyone knows is there some kind of insurance that I can get that will cover maternity. I've read that sometimes giving birth without an insurance can cost up to 20.000 dollars?? 

I've also read that as an immigrant I won't qualify right away for Medicare Medicaid. So what are my options??? 

I also appreciate if someone has flight 15 hours being 7-8 month pregnant and could tell me about it

I am thinking that in your place and assuming your fiancé has employer health insurance he can add you to it would be better to get married in your home country, file for CR1, and either get the baby's passport / CRBA from the embassy after the baby is born or if by some miracle your case is finished before the baby is born have your baby on his health insurance in the US. 

That's just me.  Marriage is a life event that immediately opens health insurance enrollment for a new spouse (and child).

I would never suggest having a baby in a US hospital without insurance unless you want to start your life tens of thousands of dollars in debt.

54 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

As for the cost - my best friend is a USC and has excellent health cover through her employment.  She had her son nearly 4 years ago now and at the time the out-of-pocket cost to her was $17,000. I shudder to think what it would have cost without any kind of insurance.

She might think she had great coverage, however her out of pocket costs clearly show she does not.

My maximum out of pocket per year is $300 - so prenatal care, delivery and care of the baby would cost is $300...  $600 if the pregnancy spreads over two calendar years. $17k is... not good coverage. At all.

OP: in your shoes, I would plan a delivery in your country - with the current delays you'll probably be there anyway...  Otherwise, look into maternal care results by countries.

8 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

She might think she had great coverage, however her out of pocket costs clearly show she does not.

My maximum out of pocket per year is $300 - so prenatal care, delivery and care of the baby would cost is $300...  $600 if the pregnancy spreads over two calendar years. $17k is... not good coverage. At all.

OP: in your shoes, I would plan a delivery in your country - with the current delays you'll probably be there anyway...  Otherwise, look into maternal care results by countries.

She has normally great coverage with a small deductible and very little co-pay. She had complications that ended up with her needing to have an emergency C-section in an out of network hospital/doctor, though apparently did manage to get some of it covered in the end, but from memory (it was a few years ago) she still ended up paying about half of the $17k bill.   Said it was worth it to have a healthy, happy boy though. 

That said, daaaaamn thats some amazing insurance you've got!    

My partner and I are discussing if we will have kids or not, and I've said explicitly that if we decide that we do, I'll be flying back home to Australia for the latter part of any pregnancy and intend on giving birth here - for the cost of a plane ticket (and a decent chunk of time to spend with family and friends) I can have world class healthcare without the concern of a huge bill at the end of it. 

2 hours ago, dentsflogged said:

2 hours ago, dentsflogged said:

That said, daaaaamn thats some amazing insurance you've got!    

We are very lucky, the premiums are paid by my husband's employer... Moving out of the US soon and looking for complementary insurance in another country - no fun...

Life made it that we didn't have kids, but it was clear that I would try to have the delivery in another country [where we had plans to move anyway].

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.