John Petrocelli

K1 - Arrest record - Possibility or Immediate Denial ?

14 posts in this topic

In thailand, you can get arrested for playing cards at a friends house. I have a friend that is applying for K1 visa whose girlfriend 6 years ago was driving a motor bike and pulled over. Her friend had a small quantity of drugs on her, but they were both arrested. From what I read, this is an immediate denial. Any information someone dealing with the same issue or resources I can pass on to my friend? thanks in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Playing cards and driving around with narcotics are two different things.

What matters is what type of narcotics and what was the exact charge of the girlfriend?

Good luck 

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Yes, depending on the charge, and whether or not it resulted in a conviction, this may or may not be possible to overcome. Your friend should probably enlist the services of a lawyer. VisaJourney is a great source of advice for people with uncomplicated applications, but drug-related charges of any kind make their case very complicated, indeed, with the potential need for waivers, pardons, etc etc etc.

Not really something we laypeople can give reliable advice on.

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, John Petrocelli said:

Any information someone dealing with the same issue or resources I can pass on to my friend?

Without more pertinent details, hard to give proper advice.

Did she appear before a judge?  What was the official charge (possession or intent to sell)?  What was the final disposition in her case?  

What kind of drug?  What was the amount?

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

The story as I was told is, my friend's fiance was charged even though the drug was not on her possession. The girl she was giving a lift to, on her motorbike had a small amount on her (personal use). But the girl (finance of my friend) was charged (because it was her motorbike) and given 2 years, which turned into 6 months and without serving any time at all, she was released on her own with two years probation (this is as I understand it) because his fiance had no record and her record has been clean since. Supposedly this incident happened 7 years ago. It was a small personal amount of whatever speed was available in Thailand at the time. OF course, I may not be relaying the story accurately because of the language barrier and don't have more than this snapshot of the facts relayed in broken english. IF his finance was to wait another 3 years, supposedly after 10 years, your record is wiped clean. Another story going around Thailand, is that with the  installation of the new king, any minor offenses will be wiped clean in the New Year. Of course, this is Thailand and with the current state of affairs, especially with immigration in America, I told him, he had better look to move to Thailand if he wants to marry her, because I doubt she is ever going to get an American K1 Visa

46 minutes ago, John Petrocelli said:

The story as I was told is, my friend's fiance was charged even though the drug was not on her possession. The girl she was giving a lift to, on her motorbike had a small amount on her (personal use). But the girl (finance of my friend) was charged (because it was her motorbike) and given 2 years, which turned into 6 months and without serving any time at all, she was released on her own with two years probation (this is as I understand it) because his fiance had no record and her record has been clean since. Supposedly this incident happened 7 years ago. It was a small personal amount of whatever speed was available in Thailand at the time. OF course, I may not be relaying the story accurately because of the language barrier and don't have more than this snapshot of the facts relayed in broken english. IF his finance was to wait another 3 years, supposedly after 10 years, your record is wiped clean. Another story going around Thailand, is that with the  installation of the new king, any minor offenses will be wiped clean in the New Year. Of course, this is Thailand and with the current state of affairs, especially with immigration in America, I told him, he had better look to move to Thailand if he wants to marry her, because I doubt she is ever going to get an American K1 Visa

Whatever pardon would be granted in Thailand would not have an effect on her US immigration - she will still need to disclose her arrest. 

First step would be to request her record and have it translated, so she can get proper advice from a lawyer. 

*~*~*moved from "IMBRA topics" to "process and procedures" as this is not IMBRA-related because the beneficiary has a criminal record, not the petitioner*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

I would recommend your friend signs up for his own account. Too many stories get twisted and mixed up when posted by third parties. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Lemonslice "First step would be to request her record and have it translated, so she can get proper advice from a lawyer".  You are spot-on, let's know officially what the records say to define problem. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Drugs are a big red flag for immigration. Without knowing any of the story, and I’m sorry but your relay of the story is pretty confusing and not informational at all due to many facts, there is nothing other than “your friend needs a lawyer” that we can say. 

Now, I do have one piece of advice about getting a lawyer: get an immigration lawyer who has done cases from the country at stake here. Because this will not be an easy case even for just any immigration lawyer. They need to be a lawyer who has experience with Thailand criminal laws, because then they would know exactly what to do. Tell them to take their time shopping around for a lawyer for this. It is also gonna be very expensive so be sure to tell them to be prepared for that. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
17 hours ago, JFH said:

I would recommend your friend signs up for his own account. Too many stories get twisted and mixed up when posted by third parties. 

I second this details matter.

Also not sure where the cards come in, did she win the drugs in a card game?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.