Lisbeth

Taxes- Moving to US

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Dear All, 

I have been living and working (and paying taxes) in United Kingdom. I moving next month to US and I know I need to fill a form to declare my taxes as I have been LPR since 1/03/2017 when I flew to US and activated the Visa. 

All my savings are in pounds and I already paid taxes on that earnings. What will happen when I transfer my money to any Bank account in the US, will be that considered as an income? How could I declare that money?

Additionally, I would like to tell that I am a little bit anxious about entering the US as on 1/03/2018 expired my year, I left the country on 08/03/2017 and I am planning to go the second week of Feb. They reason why I stayed until now it was to save money. Could I still be denied when the date is so close to the year or is still valid?? I am staying, but I can not afford one way ticket as the difference is 1:5 .

Thanks for all the guidance and advice :) 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline
58 minutes ago, Lisbeth said:

Additionally, I would like to tell that I am a little bit anxious about entering the US as on 1/03/2018 expired my year, I left the country on 08/03/2017 and I am planning to go the second week of Feb. They reason why I stayed until now it was to save money. Could I still be denied when the date is so close to the year or is still valid?? I am staying, but I can not afford one way ticket as the difference is 1:5 .

For clarification, do you mean

January 3 (1/3/2018) and August 3 (8/3/2017),

or March 1 (3/1/2018) and March 8? (3/8/2017)?

In the US, dates are written month-day-year.

Best of luck with your upcoming move!

Timeline

Oh Thanks! Ok I have activated my Visa 1st of March 2017 and I left the country 08th of March 2017. 

I will be traveling by 2nd week of February 2018 just before 1 year from the activation date. I already have my GC with me (plastic one).

It’s not activation date that matters, it is when you left that the one year starts being counted from. Still so close to the end you can certainly expect some questioning and it may help if you take proof to show you have a return ticket only because it’s cheaper than one way (not all airlines work this way).

transferring money will not incur tax but if it’s over $10k there will be a little bit of admin to ensure no money laundering is involved (nothing complicated). If over this amount there’s also another form to fill in with your tax return just declaring the balance and what bank it is/was at abroad.

there is a thread elsewhere in the forum of tax and finances during immigration, you will have to file a tax return for 2017 declaring your worldwide income, most people do not end up with an extra tax liability but some do, especially with high income and/or if you have capital gains or something else where there is a large disparity in tax rates between the US and where you originally paid tax on it.

Timeline

Thanks Sussie, but they could revoke my GC because it is to close to a year from when I left the country? Am I in risk of being rejected? I also have other profs such as expiring working contract and I my applications (email confirmation) that show my intention to work and live in US. 

19 minutes ago, Lisbeth said:

but they could revoke my GC because it is to close to a year from when I left the country? Am I in risk of being rejected? I also have other profs such as expiring working contract and I my applications (email confirmation) that show my intention to work and live in US. 

Could they? Yes. More specifically, they could determine that permanent residency was abandoned and let you either relinquish LPR status or they can refer you to an immigration judge to make a determination.

Will they? Well, that depends on the officer and circumstances. Having employment and housing abroad, with so little time in the US and being abroad for so long, does usually raise some eyebrows about where you are actually living. At the same time, DV immigrants do tend to take longer to "close out" ties abroad (like employment) due to the nature of the visa program.

What ties to the US did you create and maintain while abroad?

So you'll probably be fine this time (but any extended stays abroad in the near future may raise more concern). And if not, you can present your case to an immigration judge before they can actually revoke LPR status.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

Thanks Geo! I am not planing to go back and live abroad and do doggy actions to keep the GC. In case that I need to leave the country for job purposes I am clear that I need to apply for a re-entry permit. 

As I said, the reason why I stayed until now if because I needed to save money to start a new live as I have no sponsor and I am not earning a huge salary in UK. I have been complying with all the legal things and I have not plans to change my behavior. 

You’ll probably be fine, just be prepared for some questions (possibly aggressive) and to stand your ground and convince them of your move. They can’t take away your green card at the border, if they really feel you’ve abandoned residence they’ll refer you to an immigration judge. But it’s highly unlikely for a first absence of less than a year on a DV visa....I know plenty of people who’ve done it this way.

Timeline

Thanks Sussie. Thanks to all the members! you are awesome! When they say take me to the judge is in the airport? I will be staying at the airport? could they ask me to buy a return ticket to come back to UK or proceed with deportation?

I know this is too much Drama, but I would like to know the chances of worst case scenarios.

18 minutes ago, Lisbeth said:

Thanks Sussie. Thanks to all the members! you are awesome! When they say take me to the judge is in the airport? I will be staying at the airport? could they ask me to buy a return ticket to come back to UK or proceed with deportation?

I know this is too much Drama, but I would like to know the chances of worst case scenarios.

No no no, they would “parole” you into the US and set up a date, but honestly don’t worry, this is highly unlikely. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.