TM92

TPS Beneficiaries That Entered Illegally May Adjust Status If They Reside in the 6th Cir. or 9th Cir.

65 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline

I'm sharing my personal AOS experience of trying this approach (without a lawyer). If you see my timeline, I'm in the very early stages of the AOS process. I'll provide future updates of my AOS progress.

As you can read for yourself in this recent cheat sheet for immigration lawyers, two different circuit courts have found that when USCIS grants TPS it counts as an “admission” for purposes of AOS. The two cases are Flores v. USCIS, 718 F.3d 548 (6th Cir. 2013) and Ramirez v. Brown, 852 F.3d 954 (9th Cir. 2017). But you can only use this approach if you reside in the Sixth Circuit (Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, and Tennessee) or the Ninth Circuit (Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington (state)). Regular AOS applicants usually submit a copy of their I-94 as proof of admission, but I provided a copy of the 20 page Ramirez v. Brown decision (because I reside in the Ninth Circuit).

I concurrently filed the I-130 (by my USC 21 year old son), AOS, EAD, and AP. I'll post as replies below my cover letters for each application (without personal info). Feel free to ask any questions if you are in the same situation.

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Timeline

[Street Number and Name]

[City, State ZIP]

[Month Day, Year]

USCIS

P.O. Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

RE: I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

Applicant: [Applicant's Full Name]

A-Number: [A-Number]

To Whom It May Concern:

The applicant is filing an Adjustment of Status (I-485) application concurrently with my Petition for Alien Relative (I-130).

I am enclosing the following documents in support of my Petition for Alien Relative:

1. Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

2. Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

3. Filing fee of $535 in the form of a personal check payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security

4. Copy of my birth certificate showing birth in the U.S. My birth certificate already reflects and references my court ordered name change from [Year]

5. Copy of applicant and my mother’s marriage certificate, showing that their marriage occurred when I was under the age of 18

I am requesting that your office promptly approve my Petition for Alien Relative. If you have any questions or concerns, please call me at (000) 000-0000. Thank you for the time taken in this case.

Sincerely,

[Petitioner's Full Name]

Timeline

[Street Number and Name]

[City, State ZIP]

[Month Day, Year]

USCIS

P.O. Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

RE: I-485, Application to Adjust Status

To Whom It May Concern:

My Petitioner is filing his Petition for Alien Relative (I-130) concurrently with this Adjustment of Status (I-485) application. I’m also filing my Employment Authorization (I-765) and Advance Parole Document (I-131) applications concurrently with this I-485 request.

I am enclosing the following documents in support of my application for Adjustment of Status:

1. Form I-485, Application to Adjust Status

3. Filing and biometric services fees of $1225 in the form of a personal check payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security

4. Copy of my birth certificate, translation, and certificate of translation

5. Copy of my current [State] Driver’s License

6. Inspection and Admission: I entered the U.S. illegally without inspection but I later applied and was granted Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for [Country]. Earlier this year in Ramirez v. Brown, No. 14-35633, __ F.3d __ (9th Cir. 2017), the 9th Circuit affirmed that under the TPS statute, 8 U.S.C. section 1254a(f)(4), a TPS recipient is deemed to be in lawful status and thereby has satisfied the requirements to become a nonimmigrant, including inspection and admission, for the purposes of adjustment of status. Therefore, I can adjust status as a resident of the state of [State] which is under the jurisdiction of the 9th Circuit. I have included a copy of the 9th Circuit Ramirez v. Brown opinion.

7. Sealed Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record

8. Proof of Relationship: Copy of petitioner’s birth certificate. Petitioner’s birth certificate already reflects and references his court ordered name change from [Year]. Copy of applicant and petitioner’s mother’s marriage certificate, showing that the marriage occurred when petitioner was under the age of 18.

9. Two identical passport-style color photographs

10. Form I-864W, Intending Immigrant’s Affidavit of Support Exemption, along with my SSA earnings statement showing that I have earned over 40 credits

I am requesting that your office promptly approve my request for Adjustment of Status. If you have any questions or concerns, please call me at (000) 000-0000. Thank you for the time taken in this case.

Sincerely,

[Applicant's Full Name]

Timeline

[Street Number and Name]

[City, State ZIP]

[Month Day, Year]

USCIS

P.O. Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

RE: I-765, Application for Employment Authorization

To Whom It May Concern:

I’m filing my Adjustment of Status (I-485) and Advance Parole Document (I-131) applications concurrently with this request for an Employment Authorization Document (I-765). I’m filing the I-485 after July 29, 2007, and paying a one-time filing fee. Therefore, as an Adjustment of Status applicant, I am not required to pay additional USCIS fees for this I-765 request.

I am enclosing the following documents in support of my application for Employment Authorization:

1. Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization

3. Copy of my current Employment Authorization Document (Front and back)

4. Two identical passport-style color photographs

5. Copy of I-797, Notice of Action, approval notice of current I-765

I am requesting that your office promptly approve my request for an Employment Authorization Document. If you have any questions or concerns, please call me at (000) 000-0000. Thank you for the time taken in this case.

Sincerely,

[Applicant's Full Name]

Timeline

[Street Number and Name]

[City, State ZIP]

[Month Day, Year]

USCIS

P.O. Box 805887

Chicago, IL 60680-4120

RE: I-131, Application for Travel Document

To Whom It May Concern:

I’m filing my Adjustment of Status (I-485) and Employment Authorization (I-765) applications concurrently with this request for an Advance Parole Document (I-131). I’m filing the I-485 after July 29, 2007, and paying a one-time filing fee. Therefore, as an Adjustment of Status applicant, I am not required to pay additional USCIS fees for this I-131 request.

I am enclosing the following documents in support of my application for Advance Parole:

1. Form I-131, Application for Travel Document

3. Copy of my current Employment Authorization Document (Front and back)

4. Two identical passport-style color photographs

5. Copy of I-797, Notice of Action, approval notice of current I-765

I am requesting that your office promptly approve my request for an Advance Parole Document. If you have any questions or concerns, please call me at

(000) 000-0000. Thank you for the time taken in this case.

Sincerely,

[Applicant's Full Name]

Timeline

Filing Tip for I-765:

Even if you already have an EAD based on TPS, make sure to select "Initial application" on Form I-765. I realized my mistake yesterday.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I would be very careful using this approach. First, these rulings can be overturned.  In fact, the 9th Circuit Court is very frequently overturned.  Secondly, are you stating that federal law is applied differently to those people outside the 2 districts you named?

I give you an A for effort....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, missileman said:

are you stating that federal law is applied differently to those people outside the 2 districts you named?

Yes. This is how appellate circuit courts work at the federal level. 

There are certain immigration benefits (usually extremely nuanced) that may only be available in some circuits and not others. 

It would likely take intervention by the US Supreme Court to make certain decisions apply nationwide. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Hypnos said:

Yes. This is how appellate circuit courts work at the federal level. 

interesting...i didn't know that.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, missileman said:

are you stating that federal law is applied differently to those people outside the 2 districts you named?

If we go back to 2011, in Serrano v. United States Attorney General, 655 F.3d 1260 (11th Cir. 2011), the Eleventh Circuit (Alabama, Florida, and Georgia) held that a grant of TPS was not an "admission" for purposes of AOS. Given this circuit split, the Justice Department could seek Supreme Court review of the Ninth Circuit's decision (but they haven't done so).

And for those that reside outside the Sixth, Ninth, and Eleventh if they try the approach USCIS will most likely deny the AOS. But then they can appeal to their local District Court. Then the losing parties would most likely appeal the decision at the appropriate Circuit Court. But all this takes time, and strong legal help (so not a DIY process).

Edited by TM92

37 minutes ago, Hypnos said:

It would likely take intervention by the US Supreme Court to make certain decisions apply nationwide. 

Technically, one federal court ruling could explicitly make it apply nationally (like the travel bans). But that really pushes it upstream for SCOTUS to look at...especially when there are conflicting rulings in the lower courts (like with this).

5 minutes ago, TM92 said:

But all this takes time.

And money.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to General Immigration from Bringing FAmily of USC to America~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline
On 12/15/2017 at 10:12 PM, TM92 said:

I'll provide future updates of my AOS progress.

Here's an update:

I received an AOS RFE today. The RFE listed 2 items: evidence of lawful admission or parole into the US and SSA earnings statement showing 40 quarters of work history. I resent a copy of the 9th Circuit Ramirez v. Brown opinion and a copy of my SSA earnings statement. I also sent a cover letter that was pretty much a copy-paste of the AOS cover letter above (posted below as a reply).

Edited by TM92

Timeline

[Street Number and Name]

[City, State ZIP]

[Month Day, Year]

U.S. Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

National Benefits Center

P.O. Box 648004

Lee’s Summit, MO 64002

RE: Request for Initial Evidence (I-485)

Receipt: [Receipt Number]

Robert M. Cowan, Director, USCIS National Benefits Center:

Inspection and Admission: I entered the U.S. illegally without inspection but I later applied and was granted Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for [Country]. Last year in Ramirez v. Brown, No. 14-35633, __ F.3d __ (9th Cir. 2017), the 9th Circuit affirmed that under the TPS statute, 8 U.S.C. section 1254a(f)(4), a TPS recipient is deemed to be in lawful status and thereby has satisfied the requirements to become a nonimmigrant, including inspection and admission, for the purposes of adjustment of status. Therefore, I can adjust status as a resident of the state of [State] which is under the jurisdiction of the 9th Circuit. I have included a copy of the 9th Circuit Ramirez v. Brown opinion. Below is a front and back copy of my current Employment Authorization Card under category A12 (Temporary Protected Status granted).

[Front of Employment Authorization Card] [Back of Employment Authorization Card] 

Affidavit of Support Exemption: I have included a copy of my SSA earnings statement showing that I have earned over 40 credits.

I am requesting that your office promptly approve my request for Adjustment of Status. If you have any questions or concerns, please call me at (000) 000-0000. Thank you for the time taken in this case.

Sincerely,

[Applicant's Full Name]

Timeline
10 hours ago, TM92 said:

Here's an update:

I received an AOS RFE today. The RFE listed 2 items: evidence of lawful admission or parole into the US and SSA earnings statement showing 40 quarters of work history. I resent a copy of the 9th Circuit Ramirez v. Brown opinion and a copy of my SSA earnings statement. I also sent a cover letter that was pretty much a copy-paste of the AOS cover letter above (posted below as a reply).

Do you still think this is a DIY. Case?  Even if you successfully did AOS based on that 9th circuit court case, what happens if the SCOTUS reverses it? You could find your AOS revoked, couldn't you?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.