kellee

K1 expired, invalid (not used), Re-issuing

33 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

my K1 was approved this summer after the interview. Per the 6-months rule, I was supposed to enter the US until mid-Dec (which means: by now).

As life sometimes unfortunately throws obstacles in the way, my father contacted me during summer and told me about some health and financial issues he's having. Nothing "emergency"-like, but potentially chronic health issues.

I am his only child, my parents divorced, he has no partner, so essentially he has no one to take care of him but me.

I wanted to wait and see if his health issues cleared up or at least would be manageable enough for me to leave without guilty conscience, or even to see if I would have to organize a few things here before I leave so far away. That dragged out till fall because of blood tests etc.

Thankfully, there's a light at the end of the tunnel and it seems manageable.

But due to all of that, I didn't (wasn't able to) to quit my job on time (have a lengthy cancellation period of a few months) and now I'm still here even though I was supposed to enter the US already per date of the issued visum.

My fiance and I contacted the embassy because I already read on here that in some circumstances, re-issuing the visum is possible. But so far, I've only read about cases where the fiancee either a) already entered the US and then left again before marrying within 90 days or b) emergency cases of relatives.

None of that applies to me. I didn't even "use" the visum so to speak, didn't enter the US, and my father's case wasn't an absolute "emergency", yet serious enough for me to wait things out because as I said, potentially he has no one else to take care of him but me.

So we contacted the embassy about re-ssuing. They cordially replied that re-issuing is possible in general - I am supposed to send in all my documents with a letter explaining why I couldn't use the (now) invalid visum and then they will decide based on that.

So do you guys think there is any hope of me getting the visum re-issued based on your experiences from other cases here or is a re-application likely? I do have some emails from my dad about those health issues as "proof", should I attach them? They're not in English, though.

Thanks for any replies as to how to proceed in this case.

Edited by kellee

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

If I'm understanding you correctly, at first you could not emigrate due to your father's illness and then you could not emigrate because your job requires a lengthy notice for you to leave your job?  If that is the case, then you should have just quit your job.  Since you would be emigrating to the USA, you should not be caring about a lengthy notice with your employer in your home country.  For that reason, I think you may have a difficult time getting the visa re-issued.  It makes it appear as though you put your job ahead of your future spouse.  You can try to get the visa re-issued and maybe they will do it or maybe not.  Suggest your bring some kind of statement from doctors/hospitals for your father's treatment.  I don't think emails from your dad about his health issues will be much help.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, kellee said:

Thanks for any replies as to how to proceed in this case.

Quit your job.  Like, literally walk out of the office.  Fly to the US.   Easy-peasy.

I'm curious what you do for a living that requires a few months notice to quit employment?

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

I know things work differently in the US and other countries, but here you can't just quit your job on a whim and walk out. I work in the public service / government sector and simply not showing up anymore before the cancellation period is over can have expensive contract breaking fees as a consequence. And yes, in my country, a few months cancellation notice is not uncommon at all. It's actually the norm - workers' protection laws and all that.

And why I didn't quit my job earlier: in the worst case, had my dad needed longer financial help or my support with his health issues, I would have been forced to stay here longer anyway, but THEN in that case without a job. So I waited things out - maybe too long, but I can't change the situation now.

But thanks for your replies. I'll just try my luck and see how it turns out. The reason with my dad was the primary reason, the job quitting reason and the subsequent difficulties with that were just a consequence of that.

Edited by kellee

Well it depends on if the contract breaking fees are more expensive than refiling for the K1. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
1 hour ago, kellee said:

I know things work differently in the US and other countries, but here you can't just quit your job on a whim and walk out. I work in the public service / government sector and simply not showing up anymore before the cancellation period is over can have expensive contract breaking fees as a consequence. And yes, in my country, a few months cancellation notice is not uncommon at all. It's actually the norm - workers' protection laws and all that.

Workers protection laws usually make it harder for the employer to let an employee go, and don't require the employee him/herself to give such a big advance notice. They're protecting the worker, not the employer. That would defeat the whole purpose of the law. And expensive contract breaking fees with the government? That also sounds odd (except if you're a consultant or contractor). 

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the embassy will approve your request. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

You will have to find out. I don't think they will re-issue your visa. At that point you will have a couple choices, re-file for a K-1 or get married where you are and file a CR-1. After failing to leave on time for this K-1 I think going for a CR-1 would be a better option as they may not have faith that you will complete it a second time around.Also a CR-1 is a better choice in case something happens and you need to return home to help your father. With a K-1 you will not be able to leave for several months without abandoning the process and starting over a 3rd time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

The OP already mentioned she kept the job just in case her fathers health condition goes down further.  

Although the embassy said they will consider your case for reissue, make sure (do research) they legally can.  For my fiance they said they can and then later apologized since actually they could not.  I had to refile for K-1 for my fiance.

07/27/17 - K1 packet sent at the end of day.

07/31/17 - NOA1

03/22/18 - NOA2

08/28/18 - expected date for medical completion - Sputum test was needed

09/22/18 - anticipated interview date

1 hour ago, usmsbow said:

Workers protection laws usually make it harder for the employer to let an employee go, and don't require the employee him/herself to give such a big advance notice. They're protecting the worker, not the employer. That would defeat the whole purpose of the law. And expensive contract breaking fees with the government? That also sounds odd (except if you're a consultant or contractor). 

Yes, whether you believe it or not:

"These legal provisions apply only by default where there is no collective agreement. The length of notice periods laid down in collective agreements ranges from one week (before the weekend) for newly hired workers (in construction in general and, in some regions, in the metal and private transport industries) to six months before the end of a quarter (in the public service sector)."

https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/observatories/emcc/erm/legislation/germany-notice-period-to-employees

(that notice period also applies vice versa, means, for the employee).

If you'd like to know more and have some time to spare: https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/downloads/EN/publikationen/2014/federal-public-service.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

Talking to my manager is useless because we're short on staff already anyways.

By contract breaking fees I mean "penalty for breach of contract". If I simply terminated my contract and wouldn't show up anymore, in theory the employer could sue me or take me to court (if it happens in practice is another question, but I don't want to risk it. What if I visit my family here and have an outstanding court order and legal troubles because of that etc.)

Edited by kellee

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

I know my husband couldn't just quit his job and get on a plane. In Saudi if you leave like that (without notice),  or with an debts (he had to pay off all credits and credit cards) they can bar you from ever entering the country once again. His entire family lives in Saudi, so he has to be able to go back if needed. We did not want to risk him being banned from ever getting to enter again.  Sometimes it's not always as black and white as just being able to get on a plane and leave. 

<3  Our K-1 Visa Journey <3

I-129f sent -- 2-18-2016        

NOA1 -- 2-24-2016

NOA2 -- 05-02-2016

NVC received -- 05-13-2016

NVC left -- 05-18-2016

Embassy received -- 5-22-2016

Interview Date -- 8-31-2016

Interview Result -- APPROVED!!!

AP -- (09-07-2016)

Visa Issued -- 9-08-2016

US Entry -- 09-24-2016

<3 MARRIAGE -- 10-21-2016 <3

AOS, EAD, AND AP Filed 01-05-2017

NOA1 -- 01-19-2017

Biometrics -- 02-06-2017

EAD and AP approved -- 05-19-2017

AOS approved -- 08-24-2017

Received card -- 09-01-2017

❤ Baby boy is here!! December 26th 2017 ❤

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Frankfurt is a great Consulate!

i has to have my Visa put on Ice too in 2008.

You will need updated  Affadavit of Support, updated letters of Intent from both of you and explanation why you didn’t use the first issued visa.

i had no problem at all.

First Visa issued May 2007, entry to USA January 2009.

You WILL have another interview as well!

Met on May 17,2005

Got engaged on Sep 15th,2006

Came to the US for good on Jan 27th,2009

and we got married on March 28th,2009

GOD , grant me the serenity

to accept the things I can not change

the courage to change the things I can

and the wisdom to know the difference!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.