wewillmakeit

We got approved waiting for the passport

41 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, phildinftlaudy said:

When they are telling him that it is at the embassy - are they saying that it is at the embassy ready for him to pick it up?  For various parts of the process, I had to be real clear with my partner exactly what to ask (so, in this situation, I would have said to him, call and ask the embassy if it is ready  --- and if they say it is here at the embassy, ask if you can come and pick it up). Of course, I am such a control freak, I would have probably called the embassy myself. lol

My partner (he's Dominican) is pretty passive... not assertive at all... and he will simply ask, take the first answer that is given, and not ask any follow up questions for clarity, etc....... So, I always have to guide him through doing that... Even now, with him here in States, I still have to do that... He simply accepts the first answer given... I don't.  :-)       

I know the process has slowed down a bit and there was the Thanksgiving break.... but, I would think that it should be at the MBE sometime this week for pickup.... (Did you elect to pick it up at an MBE or at the embassy?)  

I swear mine is the same way he says they keep telling me the same thing when I call lol we did not elect where to pick it up my attorney who set everything up but in one of the emails it says the location pick up which is MBE...when I go to the web to track a passport it says it's at the embassy 

2 minutes ago, justus2017 said:

I swear mine is the same way he says they keep telling me the same thing when I call lol we did not elect where to pick it up my attorney who set everything up but in one of the emails it says the location pick up which is MBE...when I go to the web to track a passport it says it's at the embassy 

I'm almost betting it is at the embassy ready for pickup. You may want to call the embassy yourself and speak to someone. Just let the rep know that he is coming from 1 hour away and wanted to know if he needs an appt. to pick up the passport, if it is ready for pickup, etc.....    Maybe give it another day or two since today is two weeks since your interview (right?)    Flights from DR right now are expensive because of Christmas...  They will be dropping a lot after 12/25....   

1 minute ago, phildinftlaudy said:

I'm almost betting it is at the embassy ready for pickup. You may want to call the embassy yourself and speak to someone. Just let the rep know that he is coming from 1 hour away and wanted to know if he needs an appt. to pick up the passport, if it is ready for pickup, etc.....    Maybe give it another day or two since today is two weeks since your interview (right?)    Flights from DR right now are expensive because of Christmas...  They will be dropping a lot after 12/25....   

That was my next question if I can call them myself because he is 4 hours away from the embassy 😔😔😔😔 today is 2 weeks more like 10 days to be exact if you don't count Saturday & Sunday 

5 minutes ago, justus2017 said:

That was my next question if I can call them myself because he is 4 hours away from the embassy 😔😔😔😔 today is 2 weeks more like 10 days to be exact if you don't count Saturday & Sunday 

You should be able to call them yourself. 

If I remember correctly, I called them at some point in the process to ask a question.

You will just need to have his relevant information and your information.

1-809-567-7775

Definitely tell the rep that he is 4 hours away from the embassy and that is why you want to check and see if the passport/visa is there and ready for pick up (and if he can come there to pick it up --- and whether or not he needs an appointment to do so or if there is a certain time that he has to be there to do so) or if the passport/visa is still pending, or if it is going to be sent to the MBE location.  If he is 4 hours away, I would think that your lawyer would have selected to have it sent to an MBE near your boyfriend so he wouldn't have to travel to the embassy... but, give them a call and see what you find out... 

6 minutes ago, phildinftlaudy said:

You should be able to call them yourself. 

If I remember correctly, I called them at some point in the process to ask a question.

You will just need to have his relevant information and your information.

1-809-567-7775

Definitely tell the rep that he is 4 hours away from the embassy and that is why you want to check and see if the passport/visa is there and ready for pick up (and if he can come there to pick it up --- and whether or not he needs an appointment to do so or if there is a certain time that he has to be there to do so) or if the passport/visa is still pending, or if it is going to be sent to the MBE location.  If he is 4 hours away, I would think that your lawyer would have selected to have it sent to an MBE near your boyfriend so he wouldn't have to travel to the embassy... but, give them a call and see what you find out... 

I will give them a call bc from the looks of it & what they are telling him we gonna be waiting another 10 months seriously 

23 minutes ago, justus2017 said:

I will give them a call bc from the looks of it & what they are telling him we gonna be waiting another 10 months seriously 

If you had the interview, got approved, then the passport should be to the pickup point (embassy or MBE) within 2 weeks. 

If you had the interview, got approved, then the passport should be to the pickup point (embassy or MBE) within 2 weeks. 

Yes the interview was the 27th of November & we got approved & I agree but it's not from what embassy is saying

Definitely call the embassy yourself. There would not be a wait of 10 months to process the passport/visa once the approval has been made. 

10 minutes ago, phildinftlaudy said:

Definitely call the embassy yourself. There would not be a wait of 10 months to process the passport/visa once the approval has been made. 

I was being sarcastic about the 10 months but I am definitely calling them today 

Just now, justus2017 said:

I was being sarcastic about the 10 months but I am definitely calling them today 

LOL -   Hey, with some of the stories I have been hearing....  I thought 10 months might be the real deal. lol

What part of DR is your fiance from? 

Mine lived and was raised in Santo Domingo. 

He is adjusting pretty good to the U.S..  I think the thing that tripped him out the most when he first arrived was the supermarket. He wasn't used to there being so many different brands of food within each type of food category to choose from --- kind of overwhelmed him.  lol

LOL -   Hey, with some of the stories I have been hearing....  I thought 10 months might be the real deal. lol

What part of DR is your fiance from? 

Mine lived and was raised in Santo Domingo. 

He is adjusting pretty good to the U.S..  I think the thing that tripped him out the most when he first arrived was the supermarket. He wasn't used to there being so many different brands of food within each type of food category to choose from --- kind of overwhelmed him.  lol

Mine is from Santiago & I'm sure u heard a lot of stories I have done too but the whole situation got me on pins & needles 

2 minutes ago, justus2017 said:

Mine is from Santiago & I'm sure u heard a lot of stories I have done too but the whole situation got me on pins & needles 

Give the embassy a call to get the clarification needed and if it is ready find out if he needs appt or needs to be there at a certain time to pick it up... Then let him know and tell him to hop on the bus, taxi, or gau gau and get there and pick it up. Once he enters the U.S., you have 90 days to get married AND file the adjustment of status.

My partner arrived on May 13th, we did marriage on June 17th, and file adjustment of status at end of July.  Oh, and before he comes, make sure he brings an extra official birth certificate in extensa (long form).  You need to include that with the adjustment of status application. My partner didn't bring and we had to have his relatives go and get it and FedEx it (of course that was money for the FedEx and a few extra dollars for their time/trouble to go get it). 

Are you going to fly over with him?  My partner had never flown before or been through/behind the security line at the airport. I wanted to accompany him. It was so worth it to see his face when we took off and landed and to be with him going through security on the front end and through customs/immigration on the back end of the trip. 

3 minutes ago, phildinftlaudy said:

Give the embassy a call to get the clarification needed and if it is ready find out if he needs appt or needs to be there at a certain time to pick it up... Then let him know and tell him to hop on the bus, taxi, or gau gau and get there and pick it up. Once he enters the U.S., you have 90 days to get married AND file the adjustment of status.

My partner arrived on May 13th, we did marriage on June 17th, and file adjustment of status at end of July.  Oh, and before he comes, make sure he brings an extra official birth certificate in extensa (long form).  You need to include that with the adjustment of status application. My partner didn't bring and we had to have his relatives go and get it and FedEx it (of course that was money for the FedEx and a few extra dollars for their time/trouble to go get it). 

Are you going to fly over with him?  My partner had never flown before or been through/behind the security line at the airport. I wanted to accompany him. It was so worth it to see his face when we took off and landed and to be with him going through security on the front end and through customs/immigration on the back end of the trip. 

Lol that's funny bc mine have never flown before either and yes I'm going to fly down there again bc I just came back after the interview. Just waiting on the passport now so I can buy the tickets but the longer I wait the more expensive it becomes so that is why I'm stressed out about this. 

1 minute ago, justus2017 said:

Lol that's funny bc mine have never flown before either and yes I'm going to fly down there again bc I just came back after the interview. Just waiting on the passport now so I can buy the tickets but the longer I wait the more expensive it becomes so that is why I'm stressed out about this. 

You will probably be able to get some good deals for after Christmas. The pre-Christmas prices are crazy. My partner's parents live in the US and they were going to fly to Santo Domingo for the holidays but it was going to cost over $800 roundtrip for each ticket. The rates go down significantly first week of January. Try JetBlue.. they usually have good rates... That is what we flew back on... and unlimited snacks   :-)

2 minutes ago, phildinftlaudy said:

You will probably be able to get some good deals for after Christmas. The pre-Christmas prices are crazy. My partner's parents live in the US and they were going to fly to Santo Domingo for the holidays but it was going to cost over $800 roundtrip for each ticket. The rates go down significantly first week of January. Try JetBlue.. they usually have good rates... That is what we flew back on... and unlimited snacks   :-)

Yea I'm not trying to wait till January lol  that's 2 long for me lol 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.