Michelle PA

Costs for employer

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hey VJ friends,

I'm trying to get some information together. My cousin , from Germany, wants to come over to the states to work for a season. He wants to refresh his English before he starts his career as a pilot in the German arme. 

I could get him employed here with friends and family of mine,  but I'm not sure what they have to do to hire him. And I'm not sure if they have to pay money for the process. 

Thanks for your help!!! 

57 minutes ago, Michelle PA said:

Hey VJ friends,

I'm trying to get some information together. My cousin , from Germany, wants to come over to the states to work for a season. He wants to refresh his English before he starts his career as a pilot in the German arme. 

I could get him employed here with friends and family of mine,  but I'm not sure what they have to do to hire him. And I'm not sure if they have to pay money for the process. 

Thanks for your help!!! 

In order to be able to fully answer your question, you need to give us a few more details:

What would be the job he'd be doing for your friends and family?

What educational background does he have?

I think the easiest route would be to get a J1 visa which is an internship. Even that requires a lot of paperwork for your friends and family, has restrictions (e.g. his "work" would have to be relevant to his education) and the company he'd be interning for would have to meet a few requirements but I've seen people getting around it.

An actual work visa is pretty difficult to get, if he doesn't have a Bachelor or Master's degree it would be pretty impossible. In addition the chances of ending up "winning" a work visa are pretty slim (you get a work visa through a lottery system). It costs around $3,000 in fees and usually another $1,500-$3,000 for a lawyer to handle your case. 

Filed: Other Timeline
15 hours ago, Michelle PA said:

Hey VJ friends,

Thanks for your help!!! 

He should consider and English language school and an F-1 visa.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

What he should consider is already pretty safe. My question is just if the employer needs to pay for the petition that he needs to file? We are just talking about a season over here, not a career.  That career of his is going to be in Germany. 

44 minutes ago, Michelle PA said:

What he should consider is already pretty safe. My question is just if the employer needs to pay for the petition that he needs to file? We are just talking about a season over here, not a career.  That career of his is going to be in Germany. 

So what visa exactly would he go for? I suggest finding the most appropriate one from this list: https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-nonimmigrant-workers

H-2B sounds like the closest option. Check the requirements to see if the position is eligible and that he is qualified. This - like most employment-based visas - is typically not a DIY job...normally the company's attorney would complete the research and and paperwork.

Keep in mind there is also a cap on the number of visas issued each year for many categories, including H-2B (which I think is met for the year already). There are some exemptions, but the criteria is more strict.

Employment-based visas must be petitioned by the employer (and the petition would be paid by the employer). The visa itself would be paid for by the visa applicant. But the petition aspect is usually the longest and most expensive part of the process.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
On 12/6/2017 at 7:46 AM, Michelle PA said:

The Employer pays the bulk of the costs, with a work visa usually the major element are the legal fees. Of course these can vary significantly depending both on the case and the rates charged by the Lawyer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.