Q&W

Co sponsor checklist

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline

hello, june 26th filers here! as the date of our noa2 is (hopefully) approaching, we've been trying to prepare for the interview as best as we can and learn as much as we can so i don't feel rushed and panicked when i finally have the interview date scheduled. more specifically, we're looking for answers about affidavit of support. we've asked my USC fiance's brother to be our co sponsor (because even though my fiance is working full time, he might just barely make the required income or not quite make it at all) but there's a couple nuances to his situation: he requested a tax filing extension for which the deadline, as i understand, was in october but he still hasn't filed his taxes yet, and another thing, he works for a company partly owned by him, so on paper he is not self employed but he doesn't have any actual pay stubs because he'd be the one writing them and he never saw a point in doing that.

so the questions are as follows:

• is the co sponsor required to show tax returns, if so, what if he's still working on filing? 
  • what alternatives are there for showing co sponsor's paycheck stubs?
  • i'm not sure if he files his taxes jointly with his wife, but if so, what impact does that have on what documents i'll have to show at the interview?

Even though the instructions don't say it's required, certain embassies DO require tax info. It's always good to include the transcript and W2s if possible. Trust me, I know that it's VERY difficult to convince co-sponsors to give up their tax information as it shows a lot of personal info including their name, SSN, income, and so on. Good luck!

Alternative would be to show a letter from the employer stating when they started working, how much they make per hour or salary, and that their position is in good standing (not temporary), etc.. Could also show a letter from the bank showing a year's worth of deposits. 

If he files jointly, they will not consider the joint total. They will take the income from the co-sponsor alone. You should not have to show any special document for this as the tax transcript will clearly mark it as a joint filing.

Not sure how your embassy was, but for all of the I-134 documents, I was able to clearly explain during the interview what the evidence was for, so this should help you as well.

Edited by Peot

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.