slk1995

Fiance Not On Board With K-1 Process?

74 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, usmsbow said:

I'm 100% ignorant on Australia immigrant laws, but is there a reason why you don't move there instead? As a couple others noted, it is probably harder for him to move than you. When I was 22, I sought out opportunities to live and work abroad. As I quickly approach 40? Not really. I have a job that is very America-centric, a homeowner, etc. And if I were in my 50s, I'd be even more skeptical about moving, unless I worked a in a profession with global demand (such as nursing).

I'm not excusing him nor advocating for you two to work things out, but if I were him, I don't think I'd be very thrilled about moving to another country, no matter how much I was in love. Instead, I'd definitely be doing what I could to encourage my significant other to move to where I was. It doesn't sound like he's done that though either...

you, me and several others have suggested this option to OP in this thread and in another thread, but OP is adamant that she does not want to even consider the thought of moving to australia. 

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
7 hours ago, David & Zoila said:

And seriously, who works 72 hours per week?  That might not be totally true.

I do, not everybody gets to work a nice 9-5

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

18 hours ago, MacUK said:

I do, not everybody gets to work a nice 9-5

I work 4 10s.. so does hubs.  Unless you are salary based you likely arent working much more then 40 a week at a job.  Businesses dont like paying overtime. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

9 minutes ago, NikLR said:

I work 4 10s.. so does hubs.  Unless you are salary based you likely arent working much more then 40 a week at a job.  Businesses dont like paying overtime. 

When you're a consultant and your business gets to bill a client for the time, working over 40 hours a week isn't an issue. Although my occupation is exempt from 1.5x pay for overtime in my state...

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
3 hours ago, NikLR said:

It probably just depends on the job.  My husband is hourly and some weeks he will work 60+ hours, sometimes he'll work less than 40, just depends.  He gets overtime for anything above 40 hours and anything outside the normal 7am-6pm operating hours M-F.  There are a couple of large-building project companies around here who routinely employ for 50+ hours, pay overtime and pay per diem expenses on top of that (hotel, food, etc.).  The only downside of that is being away from home during the week.

It is cheaper for them to pay overtime than to find another qualified worker or not finish a job on time.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

2 hours ago, N-o-l-a said:

It probably just depends on the job.  My husband is hourly and some weeks he will work 60+ hours, sometimes he'll work less than 40, just depends.  He gets overtime for anything above 40 hours and anything outside the normal 7am-6pm operating hours M-F.  There are a couple of large-building project companies around here who routinely employ for 50+ hours, pay overtime and pay per diem expenses on top of that (hotel, food, etc.).  The only downside of that is being away from home during the week.

It is cheaper for them to pay overtime than to find another qualified worker or not finish a job on time.

Trades are different obvs. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Long work hours is way more common than the other. My previous job, hours every day, with only maybe 20-30 minutes for lunch break when I had one. And a question I am asked the most, boy you must have made a ton of money no? And the answer is no way! I worked for cheap a$$ business owners who did not treat their employees well. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a 9-5 job. 

Edited by TNJ17

On 12/4/2017 at 1:09 PM, usmsbow said:

I'm 100% ignorant on Australia immigrant laws, but is there a reason why you don't move there instead? As a couple others noted, it is probably harder for him to move than you

Sadly, not the case that it's any easier to get into Australia than the USA. Australia is a very tough country to immigrate to, and only getting tougher. Our current government has cracked down on all sorts of working holiday visas/short & long term work visas and the partner visa is an incredibly long, complicated and expensive process, including a form that needs to be filled out by TWO friends of EACH of the couple stating that they know the couple, believe them to be in a genuine relationship, and giving details of how you met each party.   I believe the cost now is close to $7,000 (Australian). Plus, that doesn't give you any kind of rights to use Medicare (the Australian public health system). 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
17 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

Sadly, not the case that it's any easier to get into Australia than the USA. Australia is a very tough country to immigrate to, and only getting tougher. Our current government has cracked down on all sorts of working holiday visas/short & long term work visas and the partner visa is an incredibly long, complicated and expensive process, including a form that needs to be filled out by TWO friends of EACH of the couple stating that they know the couple, believe them to be in a genuine relationship, and giving details of how you met each party.   I believe the cost now is close to $7,000 (Australian). Plus, that doesn't give you any kind of rights to use Medicare (the Australian public health system). 

Just to clarify: I didn't mean easier cost wise or process wise. I just meant it would be easier for a 22 year old to immigrate to another country than someone in his 50s. 

But wow, that is crazy expensive! USCIS now seems like a bargain. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

1 minute ago, usmsbow said:

But wow, that is crazy expensive! USCIS now seems like a bargain.

It really does!

My partner and I are starting the paperwork for USCIS tonight - he looked a little shocked when he saw the cost of it.  I showed him the cost for an Australian visa and he winced. Then I pointed out that $500ish for him NOW, vs. the cost of medical for me, the cost of visa fee at interview, the cost of flights back and forth for my visits (he doesn't get enough time off work to make it worthwhile), the cost of moving for me... is going to FAR outstrip $500 now. 

I mean, not that we're keeping score or anything, but it was an eye opener for him, and I don't think he'd really considered the fact that it's going to cost me a huge amount in the long run financially AND emotionally. 

On 12/11/2017 at 12:21 PM, dentsflogged said:

It really does!

My partner and I are starting the paperwork for USCIS tonight - he looked a little shocked when he saw the cost of it.  I showed him the cost for an Australian visa and he winced. Then I pointed out that $500ish for him NOW, vs. the cost of medical for me, the cost of visa fee at interview, the cost of flights back and forth for my visits (he doesn't get enough time off work to make it worthwhile), the cost of moving for me... is going to FAR outstrip $500 now. 

I mean, not that we're keeping score or anything, but it was an eye opener for him, and I don't think he'd really considered the fact that it's going to cost me a huge amount in the long run financially AND emotionally. 

I don't see how moving someplace when your friends and family already don't approve of your relationship matters?  It's a huge amount of emotional and financial from him too.  No matter who moves. 

On 12/13/2017 at 8:38 PM, NikLR said:

don't see how moving someplace when your friends and family already don't approve of your relationship matters?  It's a huge amount of emotional and financial from him too.  No matter who moves. 

I never said that my friends and family don't approve of our relationship.  In fact some of them are aggressively enthusiastic about my move.

I'm presuming that you confused me & OP since their partner is an Aussie and I am, which is I guess fair enough.

I'm well aware that there are huge financial and emotional obligations and compromises on both sides of a long distance relationship, but at the end of the day, the party leaving their home country, friends, family and (generally) the only place they've ever known is the one giving up a LOT more. 

41 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

I never said that my friends and family don't approve of our relationship.  In fact some of them are aggressively enthusiastic about my move.

I'm presuming that you confused me & OP since their partner is an Aussie and I am, which is I guess fair enough.

I'm well aware that there are huge financial and emotional obligations and compromises on both sides of a long distance relationship, but at the end of the day, the party leaving their home country, friends, family and (generally) the only place they've ever known is the one giving up a LOT more. 

Probably did confuse you with the OP.   Sorry. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.