slk1995

Fiance Not On Board With K-1 Process?

74 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Do you know anybody who can joint sponsor, odd when it is the foreigner finding one.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Do you know anybody who can joint sponsor, odd when it is the foreigner finding one.

No, no. He's not the one DOING the looking. I would prefer it if he is the one who talked to our mutual USC friends about it. That's all. I don't think they'd take me as seriously. 

Timeline

A joint sponsor does not need to be a mutual friend. Not sure I have seen this situation before.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

A joint sponsor does not need to be a mutual friend. Not sure I have seen this situation before.

I know that; but who else would I ask? Relatives are against this, so who else? Can't just go randomly asking strangers on the street to do that. Lol. 

OP: Why do you feel a potential cosponsor would not take you seriously? Asking someone to cosponsor is a serious situation - if they don't take you seriously, then you need to ask yourself some questions if they are the right person to assist.

His roommate should not be involved in anything regarding your relationship or past career choices, and if his opinion matters this much to your fiancé to not stand up for you.. you've got bigger issues coming.

If your relatives do not feel comfortable with assisting, is their a particular reason why? Is it something to do with his overall behavior toward you right now that may have put up red flags for them? There are of course persons that feel uncomfortable getting into a legally binding government contract for financial and personal responsibility reasons - but this is often compounded if they don't feel the individual trustworthy.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

8 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

OP: Why do you feel a potential cosponsor would not take you seriously? Asking someone to cosponsor is a serious situation - if they don't take you seriously, then you need to ask yourself some questions if they are the right person to assist.

His roommate should not be involved in anything regarding your relationship or past career choices, and if his opinion matters this much to your fiancé to not stand up for you.. you've got bigger issues coming.

If your relatives do not feel comfortable with assisting, is their a particular reason why? Is it something to do with his overall behavior toward you right now that may have put up red flags for them? There are of course persons that feel uncomfortable getting into a legally binding government contract for financial and personal responsibility reasons - but this is often compounded if they don't feel the individual trustworthy.

I'm not sure. I just don't want to be the one to ask about it. Agreed about the roommate part.  They are against the relationship. He's 53, I'm 22. So that's why. They want me with someone from the US and someone my age. 

Timeline

That is understandable.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

I would suggest having a serious conversation and sorting out your relationship and your feelings first. It sounds fragile and you seem to be on the edge of giving up probably for many reasons.. Waiting for 6-9 months after sending the petition won’t be getting easier. There is stress, there is inpatience and also feeling of being stuck when you want to move forward... and start a life toghether. 

My fiancé can get super busy, he is working 24 h long shifts sometimes, waking up extremely early and also doing schools and online courses on his free time + working out bcs he has to be physically top condition.So I tried to help him as much as I could with paperwork, sorting out what we need etc. But he did everything that was necessary during his days off.

We have huge time zone difference and we always try to call each other everyday. I think you can’t make a relationship work with one sided effort. And there is no point staying with people who make you feel unhappy. There will be always trials and stressful situations in the future.. You probably don’t want to go through them totally alone without his support, bcs that’s not how it should work. Don’t settle for mediocre, hope things will sort out for you well! Good luck! 

The only reason I the beneficiary did all of the paperwork and research is because my husband hates forms due to his dyslexia, he finds them super difficult where as I am quite good at them and almost ocd in checking they are right. So it made sense for me to do all the work on my immigration paperwork. 

OP if he can’t even send you the basic things that are required then you can’t proceed, if there is no real reason that he isn’t doing it then yeah he isn’t as invested as you.

This might be typical of his expectations once here, you do all of the paperwork/ household bill management. If that isn’t something you want to do then maybe talking to him about expectations is needed. For example - My husband and I share that, I research any work that needs to be done or the rates of local companies and catalogue all paperwork that is related to it. where as he will deal with all phone calls to them as I hate that part. We work to our strengths for the benefit of our relationship 

Edited by Illiria
Auto correct

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

I've sent a message to him. All it says is, "I want closure. I want you to admit you no longer are interested or care." 

I've been beyond miserable in the last like two months of this. It used to be far better. 

5 minutes ago, Dee elle said:

You deserve to be treated with respect. You are worth more than this. Hard to hear, but you are young, focus on your own goals, growth and journey of life, take the time now to stand on your own two feet, get yourself pointed in a good maturing adult direction, give yourself permission to cut yourself loose from this man, choose to close this whether or not he gives you closure like you asked. Don’t look back. Breathe, then take your next step. 

It's pretty depressing. 

Somehow, I still love this person. I think I haven't left because I literally already lost close to everything from him. I have little to no friendships anymore. Most of those so called "friends" ran off the moment they heard his age. So, I sit in a delicately isolated world now. I basically hide in a bedroom now and escape reality on Youtube. 

Age is a number.  People who can't understand that don't deserve your friendship.

On the other hand, however, this man doesn't seem to be as invested in your relationship as you.  So your decision is if that's okay or not.  If it's not, don't wait for some closure from him.  Decide for yourself.  Make a choice.  Do I want to keep putting effort into something when the other person isn't interested?  If the answer is no, then say, I don't think you're interested, I'm worth more than what you're giving, so I'm moving on. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

3 hours ago, slk1995 said:

I'm not sure. I just don't want to be the one to ask about it. Agreed about the roommate part.  They are against the relationship. He's 53, I'm 22. So that's why. They want me with someone from the US and someone my age. 

Wouldn't it be easier for you/you two to have you move to him instead?  I am sure he is more established and it can get tricky to leave [career/pension and savings plans/children/etc.] - not impossible, many have done it... but what is tying you up to the U.S.?  However, if he really is avoiding you, that is another matter and then you might want reconsider your engagement.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.