M&JB

Bring parents to US for a visit while AOS is pending. Possible?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Boiler said:

The only option is a Tourist Visa.

That is what I’m thinking. But as I’ve stated on my post above, my parents are not working anymore so I’m curious as if a property evidence will be enough tie to the home country to be able to get a tourist visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, Ehri&Mark said:

Exactly. AND $160 is still a big money to lose, especially in PH, if you know what I mean. Thanks for the informations, though!

How much would a holiday in the US cost?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ehri&Mark said:

That is what I’m thinking. But as I’ve stated on my post above, my parents are not working anymore so I’m curious as if a property evidence will be enough tie to the home country to be able to get a tourist visa.

Well it would not hurt but pretty immaterial. 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, Boiler said:

How much would a holiday in the US cost?

Well, I guess that is so true. But then again, paying $160 is a risk, on the other hand spending money when you’re already in the US makes it all worth it. My point is, I don’t even know if it’s even worth trying.

Timeline

Would they not both be applying?

How else will they know?

Who would be paying for their trip to the US? I would assume two tickets to the US from the Philippines is not cheap. If you were planning on helping them with their tickets then after your adjustment of status is completed you could use that money to take a trip back home to rid some of the homesickness you are feeling.

Statistically speaking it would be easier (and cheaper) for you to go to them than vice versa.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Bringing Family Members of Permanent Residents to America forum to Tourist Visas forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline
5 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Who would be paying for their trip to the US? I would assume two tickets to the US from the Philippines is not cheap. If you were planning on helping them with their tickets then after your adjustment of status is completed you could use that money to take a trip back home to rid some of the homesickness you are feeling.

Statistically speaking it would be easier (and cheaper) for you to go to them than vice versa.

OP does not seem to have the money.

4 hours ago, Ehri&Mark said:

I came to the US with K1 in 2013 and only filed for AOS this year, hubby was waiting for SSDI approval and the story goes on and on. 

So far I haven’t really seen or heard or read a successful story about getting approved for a tourist visa from the Philippines without strong tie so I am just looking for options.

It usually pretty easy actually for retirees as long have they have some form of income/retirement pay coming in and property. 

5 hours ago, Boiler said:

OP does not seem to have the money.

Actually, OP is awaiting AOS and may not have AP yet, thus they cannot leave the US and return.

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

Timeline

i read the posts, so what?

2 minutes ago, nightingalejules said:

Actually, OP is awaiting AOS and may not have AP yet, thus they cannot leave the US and return.

8 hours ago, Ehri&Mark said:

One more thing, both of my parents are retired ( they’re only 58 but they are not working anymore, my sisters provide for them ), so how much chance do they ( parents ) have in getting a tourist visa? Since the immigration for sure will look for strong ties to the Philippines. What else can they show the embassy during interview? 

Both my parents were granted a US tourist visa. They are both retired. My mom is receiving pension but my dad relies on what we give him. When they both applied they were going to visit my sister who was a green card holder during that time. They were just asked about what the reason for their visit was, how long my sister has been in the usa, & what her job and income is.

This was in 2015.

They were not asked about ties or properties owned in the philippines. They were not asked to provide any documents and such.

There is no sure fire way of getting a tourist visa. Just tell them to be prepared and be honest with all their answers. The decision will all depend on the CO interviewing them.

Edited by audacieux89

-=ROC & Naturalization Timeline=-

January 25, 2021 - ROC application received

January 22, 2022 - Case transferred

January 16, 2022 - Naturalization application received

April 7, 2023 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

April 20, 2023 - Oath Ceremony scheduled

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, nightingalejules said:

Boiler was nodding to the fact it took some 4 years to AOS so money is an issue....or so it seems.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
17 hours ago, geowrian said:

That's a tough one...approval rates for PH are pretty poor, tbh. Sorry. :( No job, US-based daughter (although not being a USC yet is a benefit), and presumably not much in terms of financial assets (since your sisters provide for them) all put them at pretty high risk, IMHO, of overstaying.

Do they have property? They can bring evidence of that. Beyond that, I'm not really sure what they would even consider (if they even ask to see documentation).

I don't mean to get your hopes up or exaggerate their chances...really the only way to know is to apply and find out.

When did that it become poor?? manila is a visa-mill and US immigration is very kind to Filipinos. Or it changed

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.