M&JB

Bring parents to US for a visit while AOS is pending. Possible?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi. Plain curiousity, can my parents or any family members visit me here while my AOS application is pending? If so, how?

I apologize if I am on the wrong forum.

TIA!

Yes of course they can.

As long as they're eligible to get a tourist visa or use the Visa Waiver Program then they can visit.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, BenjaminKeating said:

Yes of course they can.

As long as they're eligible to get a tourist visa or use the Visa Waiver Program then they can visit.

Thanks for the response.

My main concern is wouldn’t the immigration officer on the interview ask for a proof of my legal presence in the US? Or it doesn’t really matter?

Edited by Ehri&Mark

No.

I've had two friends visit me from the UK and my parents came out a month ago.

CBP at the airport to my parents:

CBP: Purpose of your visit?

Parents: To visit our son

CBP: When is your flight home?

Parents: On xxxx date.

CBP: Welcome to the US

Timeline
9 minutes ago, BenjaminKeating said:

No.

I've had two friends visit me from the UK and my parents came out a month ago.

CBP at the airport to my parents:

CBP: Purpose of your visit?

Parents: To visit our son

CBP: When is your flight home?

Parents: On xxxx date.

CBP: Welcome to the US

That’s great to hear, especially from your personal experience.

Thank you so much!

EDIT: One more thing though, does UK citizen can go under VWP? Because I am from the Philippines and it will for sure need a visitor visa before they can go.

Edited by Ehri&Mark

11 minutes ago, Ehri&Mark said:

That’s great to hear, especially from your personal experience.

Thank you so much!

EDIT: One more thing though, does UK citizen can go under VWP? Because I am from the Philippines and it will for sure need a visitor visa before they can go.

You're welcome.

+

Yes my friends and family came using the VWP as they're all British Citizens.

Sure, they can visit if they have a valid tourist visa. Proof of your legal presence is not required, but if asked about it for whatever reason then they would just say that he/she came on a K-1 visa and are currently undergoing processing for a green card with his/her spouse.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
4 hours ago, geowrian said:

Sure, they can visit if they have a valid tourist visa. Proof of your legal presence is not required, but if asked about it for whatever reason then they would just say that he/she came on a K-1 visa and are currently undergoing processing for a green card with his/her spouse.

One more thing, both of my parents are retired ( they’re only 58 but they are not working anymore, my sisters provide for them ), so how much chance do they ( parents ) have in getting a tourist visa? Since the immigration for sure will look for strong ties to the Philippines. What else can they show the embassy during interview? 

1 minute ago, Ehri&Mark said:

One more thing, both of my parents are retired ( they’re only 58 but they are not working anymore, my sisters provide for them ), so how much chance do they ( parents ) have in getting a tourist visa? Since the immigration for sure will look for strong ties to the Philippines. What else can they show the embassy during interview? 

That's a tough one...approval rates for PH are pretty poor, tbh. Sorry. :( No job, US-based daughter (although not being a USC yet is a benefit), and presumably not much in terms of financial assets (since your sisters provide for them) all put them at pretty high risk, IMHO, of overstaying.

Do they have property? They can bring evidence of that. Beyond that, I'm not really sure what they would even consider (if they even ask to see documentation).

I don't mean to get your hopes up or exaggerate their chances...really the only way to know is to apply and find out.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Timeline
4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

That's a tough one...approval rates for PH are pretty poor, tbh. Sorry. :( No job, US-based daughter (although not being a USC yet is a benefit), and presumably not much in terms of financial assets (since your sisters provide for them) all put them at pretty high risk, IMHO, of overstaying.

Do they have property? They can bring evidence of that. Beyond that, I'm not really sure what they would even consider (if they even ask to see documentation).

I don't mean to get your hopes up or exaggerate their chances...really the only way to know is to apply and find out.

Yes, they have a house and they own it. Would that be enough? I’m only worried about my parents, since my sisters have good jobs and more chance to get a tourist visa and prove a strong tie to PH. 

On overstaying part, they don’t even want me to petition them for a GC one day since “PH is their home”, and I REALLY just wanna see them already since it’s been 4 years since I came home. But of course, they can’t just tell the embassy that. 

I’m curious, would a property evidence be enough or there is really no way of knowing unless they apply for it and see?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I own property in the UK, live in the US.

What visa are you adjusting from?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, Ehri&Mark said:

Yes, they have a house and they own it. Would that be enough? I’m only worried about my parents, since my sisters have good jobs and more chance to get a tourist visa and prove a strong tie to PH. 

On overstaying part, they don’t even want me to petition them for a GC one day since “PH is their home”, and I REALLY just wanna see them already since it’s been 4 years since I came home. But of course, they can’t just tell the embassy that. 

I’m curious, would a property evidence be enough or there is really no way of knowing unless they apply for it and see?

Property by itself is probably not going to be enough for PH. But it's something so showing evidence of it, if requested, is better than nothing. I wish I had better news but that's just the reality. The only way to know for sure is to apply...the "only" thing to lose is the $160 fee.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

I own property in the UK, live in the US.

What visa are you adjusting from?

I came to the US with K1 in 2013 and only filed for AOS this year, hubby was waiting for SSDI approval and the story goes on and on. 

So far I haven’t really seen or heard or read a successful story about getting approved for a tourist visa from the Philippines without strong tie so I am just looking for options.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The only option is a Tourist Visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Property by itself is probably not going to be enough for PH. But it's something so showing evidence of it, if requested, is better than nothing. I wish I had better news but that's just the reality. The only way to know for sure is to apply...the "only" thing to lose is the $160 fee.

Exactly. AND $160 is still a big money to lose, especially in PH, if you know what I mean. Thanks for the informations, though!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.