katbee247

Can a formal k1 holder get a Visa Waiver Program?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this.. I'm sorry if it's not!              

I'm a formal k1 holder and I'm in the USA trying to figure out if I can get a waiver program so I can come visit with my husband in the future. Things changed and we do not intend to live in the US. I've looked everywhere and it doesn't seem like there's an answer. We can not afford a lawyer so please if anyone knows something and could provide us some answers I would appreciate it     

Thank you! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Tourist Visas, from K1 P&P - As the OP is asking about visiting and not continuing the AOS process.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

8 minutes ago, katbee247 said:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this.. I'm sorry if it's not!              

I'm a formal k1 holder and I'm in the USA trying to figure out if I can get a waiver program so I can come visit with my husband in the future. Things changed and we do not intend to live in the US. I've looked everywhere and it doesn't seem like there's an answer. We can not afford a lawyer so please if anyone knows something and could provide us some answers I would appreciate it     

Thank you! 

Formal? You mean former? So you haven't applied for AOS? If you do not continue through to citizenship, you will of course not be able to keep a GC if you have that already, but I assume you know that. If you are from a VWP country, have never violated any immigration provisions, I can't see a problem with travelling on that VWP.

K1 Visa & AOS

Spoiler

2016-03-19         i-129F Sent
2016-03-24         i-129F NOA1
2016-06-14         i-129F NOA2
2016-07-08         NVC Rec'd
2016-07-12         Case #
2016-07-13         NVC Left
2016-07-14         Consulate Rec'd
2016-07-19         Medical
2016-08-11         Interview Date (approved)
2016-09-06         Issued
2016-09-09         Visa In Hand
2016-10-19         POE Dallas Fort-Worth
2016-10-30         Our Halloween Wedding

2016-11-16         AOS package sent (i-485, i-131, i-765, i-864, g-325a, DS-3025)
2016-11-17         AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox
2016-11-23         NOA1's by e-mail and text (@ 10:30 pm CT)
2016-11-26         NOA1 hard copies
2016-12-03         Biometrics appointment in mail
2016-12-07         Biometrics (Early walk-in Desoto, appointment was for Dec 13th)

2017-02-17         Notice of card in production by email and text (@8:00 am CT, i-765) - Day 92

2017-02-22         Notice of approval by email and text (@1:00 pm CT, i-765 and i-131) - Day 97

2017-02-22         Notice of card being mailed by email and text (@7:00 pm CT, i-765) - Day 97

2017-02-25         EAD/AP combo card arrived in mail - Day 100

2017-03-03         Notice of green card in production by email and text (@4:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-03         Notice of approval by email and text (@6:00 pm CT, i-485) - Day 106

2017-03-11          Green card arrived in mail  - Day 113

2018-12-03          First day to file for ROC (i-751)

giphy.gif

You information is confusing. I understand the following:

1- You had K1 before

2- You entered with the K1 and got married

3- Did you file for AOS? Do you have a green card? Why do you want to leave? 

4- Does your husband plan to stay in the US and you plan to live somewhere else? Or is it both of you who plan to live somewhere else? For how long?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I'm sorry if I'm being confusing.

So I had a k1 and I entered the USA.

We got married and applied for AOS.

I don't have my GC yet but I understand that I can't have the GC and being out of the US.

We are moving to my home country and not planning on living in US...

We're worried that if I apply for a Visa Waiver Program to visit family and friends I'm going to be denied cause they'll think I intent on staying in US. 

1) Did you file for AOS before or after the 90 days of entry? If after, your VWP days are over (but a tourist visa is still possible).

2) It's definitely possible they will suspect immigrant intent on a somewhat-near entry attempt with a previous AOS application. Not impossible to visit again by any means, but it would be difficult IMO.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

6 minutes ago, katbee247 said:

I'm sorry if I'm being confusing.

So I had a k1 and I entered the USA.

We got married and applied for AOS.

I don't have my GC yet but I understand that I can't have the GC and being out of the US.

We are moving to my home country and not planning on living in US...

We're worried that if I apply for a Visa Waiver Program to visit family and friends I'm going to be denied cause they'll think I intent on staying in US. 

Yes, being denied entry is a possibility. A lot of people went through that. 

If you are thinking of moving permanently to Italy, then there is no point on waiting for the green card. But if you are moving for 1 or 2 years, you can wait for the green card and when you leave, apply for a reentry permit. That way, if you move back, you can still keep your green card (remember though, that you will get a temporary 2 year GC and you need to do ROC).

What if my trip abroad will last longer than 1 year?

If you plan on being absent from the United States for longer than a year, it is advisable to first apply for a reentry permit on Form I-131. Obtaining a reentry permit prior to leaving the United States allows a permanent or conditional permanent resident to apply for admission into the United States during the permit’s validity without the need to obtain a returning resident visa from a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad.  Please note that it does not guarantee entry into the United States upon your return as you must first be determined to be admissible; however, it will assist you in establishing your intention to permanently reside in the United States.  For more information, see the “Travel Documents” page.

If you remain outside of the United States for more than 2 years, any reentry permit granted before your departure from the United States will have expired. In this case, it is advisable to consider applying for a returning resident visa (SB-1) at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. An SB-1 applicant will be required to establish eligibility for an immigrant visa and will need a medical exam.  There is an exception to this process for the spouse or child of either a member of the U.S. Armed Forces or civilian employee of the U.S. Government stationed abroad on official orders.  For more information on obtaining a returning resident visa, see the Department of State’s webpage on returning resident visas.

Additionally, absences from the United States of six months or more may disrupt the continuous residency required for naturalization.  If your absence is one year or longer and you wish to preserve your continuous residency in the United States for naturalization purposes, you may file an Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes on Form N-470. For more information, please see the “Continuous Residence and Physical Presence Requirements” page.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As long as you have not overstayed.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Spammer reported

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.