Melissa19886

Traveling with green card extension sticker

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello,This past August I went for my greencard renewal appointment and I was given an extension sticker on my old card which extends it till august 2018. I'm traveling to Africa next month and I'm so worried about traveling with it and hoping I don't have any problems. I'm going on Turkish airlines. Anybody been through this? Thank you ...

On 8/15/2017 at 2:29 PM, gapped said:

Wondering if anyone has any recent experience with processing times for forms I-130 and I-485 that are being processed at the National Benefits Center? Specifically, for children under 21 of US citizen parent.

Our receipt numbers all begin with MSC, but the USCIS "processing time" website doesn't list times for either form I-130 or form I-485. I tried calling the customer service line, but the agent was less than helpful - couldn't tell me where our cases were being processed, and seemed unaware that some cases are transferred based on USCIS case loads.

A bit of background: my daughters were born in Canada and entered the US on a J2 (non-immigrant) visas. In order for them to acquire their US citizenship (through Section 320 of the INA), we applied for immigrant visas and change of status concurrently at the end of April 2017. They've already had their bio-metric appointments and I expect that their USCIS interview will be waved.

I've read estimates online that say it takes approximately 5-6 months, but it would be reassuring to know if that's accurate. I don't want to leave the US until this is all settled, but would like to make plans to take the girls back to Canada for a visit.

Thanks

I filed in December 2016 and still waiting, both my i130 and i485 was transferred to local office in May 2017. Since you filed in April your case should have been transferred by July or August the latest if it was being transferred. Call back to speak with a tier 2 officer and they will give you details. Please share your updates here 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
10 hours ago, Melissa19886 said:

Hello,This past August I went for my greencard renewal appointment and I was given an extension sticker on my old card which extends it till august 2018. I'm traveling to Africa next month and I'm so worried about traveling with it and hoping I don't have any problems. I'm going on Turkish airlines. Anybody been through this? Thank you ...

So long as you have the extension, it should not be a problem. 

On 11/15/2017 at 10:28 PM, Spudnick08 said:

I filed in December 2016 and still waiting, both my i130 and i485 was transferred to local office in May 2017. Since you filed in April your case should have been transferred by July or August the latest if it was being transferred. Call back to speak with a tier 2 officer and they will give you details. Please share your updates here 

Spudnick08 - is a Tier 2 officer the person who you speak with when you get a call back from customer service? If so, I haven't had much luck getting any information out of them :-/

35 minutes ago, gapped said:

Spudnick08 - is a Tier 2 officer the person who you speak with when you get a call back from customer service? If so, I haven't had much luck getting any information out of them :-/

I know what you mean. I'm confused too I'm so happy I found someone going through this with USCIS. They requested evidence in Jan which they received in Feb and that's the last time my case was updated nothing more. I called and requested an inquiry in July they said it's still with in processing time so I called back in November and they said in 120 days I'll get a decision. Everytime I call I get something different and I don't get anything in writing unless I launch an inquiry. My daughter's medical is about to expire next week :( so tired of waiting and spending. Please let's keep this chat going so we can keep each other posted. My friend told me that when interview is waived it can take up to 16 months. All I can do is call them and wait because they're no date available for my field office for an info pass. 

16 minutes ago, Spudnick08 said:

I know what you mean. I'm confused too I'm so happy I found someone going through this with USCIS. They requested evidence in Jan which they received in Feb and that's the last time my case was updated nothing more. I called and requested an inquiry in July they said it's still with in processing time so I called back in November and they said in 120 days I'll get a decision. Everytime I call I get something different and I don't get anything in writing unless I launch an inquiry. My daughter's medical is about to expire next week :( so tired of waiting and spending. Please let's keep this chat going so we can keep each other posted. My friend told me that when interview is waived it can take up to 16 months. All I can do is call them and wait because they're no date available for my field office for an info pass. 

16 months?! That's ridiculous. If it takes that long then we're going to end up abandoning our application since we're planning to move back to Canada soon. I expected this process to take 6 months maximum - this is a gong show.

9 hours ago, gapped said:

16 months?! That's ridiculous. If it takes that long then we're going to end up abandoning our application since we're planning to move back to Canada soon. I expected this process to take 6 months maximum - this is a gong show.

9 hours ago, gapped said:

That's what she said a year to 16 months and if they were being interviewed it would have been way less time. I am going to call again today to see if there is any change. Seems to be something different most times I call, funny how it's one organization with different department but feels like I'm dealing with 50. So draining! 

14 hours ago, gapped said:

I just called today again! Nice officer he told me my case was assigned to an officer on the this week, fingers crossed. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2017 at 11:08 AM, Spudnick08 said:

I just called today again! Nice officer he told me my case was assigned to an officer on the this week, fingers crossed. 

Hi Spudnick08, wondering if you've heard anything back about your case? I called last week and spoke with a Tier 2 officer, and once again got a different answer to what each customer service officer has told me before. This person said that they have 60 days (not just 30) to answer our letter, but he couldn't tell me when that 60 days would come to an end, because they haven't even put receipt of our letter/response into the computer system .... erg.

1 hour ago, gapped said:

Hi Spudnick08, wondering if you've heard anything back about your case? I called last week and spoke with a Tier 2 officer, and once again got a different answer to what each customer service officer has told me before. This person said that they have 60 days (not just 30) to answer our letter, but he couldn't tell me when that 60 days would come to an end, because they haven't even put receipt of our letter/response into the computer system .... erg.

I called last week again but the tier 2 officer was very rude and told me 120 days. The one I spoke with about 2 weeks ago told me that I should have an answer by the end of the month since the case was assigned to an officer sometime in November. They might tell you 120 days when you get a letter should you launch an inquiry. I'll keep you posted as you do the same. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2017 at 1:35 PM, Spudnick08 said:

I called last week again but the tier 2 officer was very rude and told me 120 days. The one I spoke with about 2 weeks ago told me that I should have an answer by the end of the month since the case was assigned to an officer sometime in November. They might tell you 120 days when you get a letter should you launch an inquiry. I'll keep you posted as you do the same. 

Checking in Spudnick08 - any progress? We got letters in mid-December, asking for "a copy of an original birth certificate" for the girls ... sigh.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.