geena23

Help with filling up marital status in DS-160 form

14 posts in this topic

Hi. so I'm applying for a B2 visa to visit a family member in the US. I'm engaged to my fiancé in my country so I was wondering which option I should select in the marital status question in the DS-160 form? There's no "engaged" option but there's a "single" option but that too would be incorrect. Should I just select the "other" option and write engaged in the info box? Thank you. 

22 hours ago, Sm1smom said:

Engaged is not a recognizable marital status for immigration purpose. Marital status is defined as the state of being married or not married - the recognized states are married, single, divorced, or widowed. So you should be selecting “single” on that form. 

But I'm not "single"... I'm in a relationship.

what about the "Other" option??

Edited by geena23

1 hour ago, geena23 said:

But I'm not "single"... I'm in a relationship.

what about the "Other" option??

Note they ask for marital status, not relationship status. You can flash your engagement ring at the CO if you want, but they are not interested in fiance, boyfriend, girlfriend, sugar daddy, whatever. Just what your legal marital status is.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

This is not Facebook.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

56 minutes ago, geena23 said:

One more question, I want to appear for the visa interview two months before my intended date of travel to the US... Is that okay??

Yes, but they won’t delay issuing the visa (assuming it’s granted), although that shouldn’t make a diffence for a short visit (earlier issuance = earlier expiry date).  Always better to have the visa in hand before booking tickets etc anyway.

On 11/18/2017 at 3:45 AM, SusieQQQ said:

Yes, but they won’t delay issuing the visa (assuming it’s granted), although that shouldn’t make a diffence for a short visit (earlier issuance = earlier expiry date).  Always better to have the visa in hand before booking tickets etc anyway.

Ok got it. Btw my father who lives in India is going to pay for my trip even though I work in my country and earn money. So I'm going to put my father's details under "entity paying for the trip". Would that possibly cause a rejection? It's just that my father is adamant he wants to pay for the trip.

Any untold number of reasons "could cause a rejection". State facts as they are, whoever is paying.

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Tell the truth

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.