wtrav

B2 aplication - visiting boyfriend

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Hello to all VJ followers,

I read a lot of topics about B2 applicants wanting to visit boyfriends/girlfriends in the US. My B2 interview is scheduled for this coming Friday (Nov, 17th) and I am kind of nervous about it. I have been in the US 3 times on a J1 visa and have never overstayed.

I want to visit my boyfriend in Houston for 2 weeks in February 2018 and do sightseeing with him. The supporting documents that I have prepared are:

1) Boarding passes from previous trips (Japan in April 2017, Spain in June 2017) + invoices for accomodation and plane tickets about upcoming trips to Netherlands (3 days) and Turkey (1 day) (in December 2017), Malta  (6 days for NYE).

2) Letter from employer that I am on a indefinite employment contract (been working there for 2 years now) and confirmation that I am obligated to use 20 days of paid leave in 2018 + my work contract (about 80 pages) that says that if I want to quit I need to give them a minimum of 30 days notice that may be up to 12 weeks depending on my work experience. 

3) Bank statements proving that I have sufficient funds to pay for my trip (around $7000).

4) Certificate that I own a car since 2015 (it's not an expensive car).

5) Invitation letter form my boyfriend and a picture of his US passport.

However I am concerned about two things:

1) I listed my boyfriend's name as a contact person on the DS-160 and his current address. However he will be changing it soon, so I listed a hotel address that I will be staying at. Do you think this may be a red flag?

2) I definitely will not lie about my intentions to visit him. As an addition my best friend lives in Miami and she said she will try to come to Houston to meet me if my visa is approved. However based on what I read, it would be better not to mention that I have a boyfriend unless they ask me. The thing that bothers me is how should I answer if they ask "What is the purpose of your trip?". Do you think it may sound wrong if I say "I want to do sightseeing and meet up with my American friends."

Thank you a lot for your help and advises. Your help would be much appreciated!

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

You should take number 5 out from your package. 

Do do you own a house? 

You list looks a lot better then the most in here who try and go for tourist visa. 

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I do not own any property besides my car. I currently live with my parents therefore I do not pay rent nor have any bills coming to my name. 

I agree, leave out the invitation letter. I have yet to read about that being in any way being beneficial (harmful, yes.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Hello VJs, 

Just wanted to give some feedback on how my interview went as I know a lot of people are in the same situation and get stressed out.

I took the invitation letter out of my package. However my boyfriend's name, phone number and address were listed on the DS-160. 

C: What is the purpose of your travel?

Me: I want to visit on vacation and do some sightseeing.

C: Who is XYZ?

Me: He is my boyfriend.

C: How do you know him?

Me: I know him from work.

C asked smth about his status in the US (don't remember the exact question)

Me: He is a US citizen.

C: What does he work?

Me: He works in XYZ company. We used to work together but he quit in January this year.

C: What is that flight to Doha?

Me: I went to Japan and my connection flight was in Doha.

C: When did you go?

Me: April this year.

C: Did you meet him there?

Me: No.

C: Your visa will be ready within 2 days.

I know it seems hard to tell about your bf on the interview, but hopefully my story will give you hope that it's not 100% chance to get rejected. Wishing everyone good luck! :)

Edited by wtrav
Add info

Timeline
1 hour ago, geena23 said:

Wow great you got it! Did the VO ask to look at any supporting documents?

He had them behind the window but didn't really look at them. Only asked about a boarding pass from a previous trip. I guess someone may check them out later as they usually return them with the passport. Or maybe they did while I was waiting  for them to call my name. Not sure.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Very rare documents would help.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.