GoBig

suggestions for uploading documents when e-filing N400 ?

7 posts in this topic

had read lots of folks talking about the uploading glitch and duplicates issue when filing N400 online. i am on 5-year-rule and about to file in a week and i have 10+ supporting evidences documents to upload including required and optional evidences.  here is my questions.

1, does it  have  file number limit when uploading ? i have 10+ individual PDF files, total  8.7 MB (  becomes  4.1 MB after merged all into a single PDF file ).  I read someone here said the maximum is 6 files to upload, and 6 MB maximum. Can anyone clarify?

i read from here that someone combined all evidence documents  into  a single PDF  file and uploaded ...of course, this wouldn't cause duplicate problem at all. BUT i am concerned if the  officer will love to read and print them all as they can't pick whatever evidence they need.

2, technically, should i click one  PDF file ,to upload,wait its finished,and the click the next PDF file to upload... Would this way be able to avoid the duplicate file name issue

here is the full list of my supporting documents in PDF:

1.      Cover Letter(1 page with e-signature )

2.      Copy of the U.S. Permanent Resident Card (front and back).

3.      Copy of the Court Order for Legal Name Change.

4.      Copy of the Marriage Certificate and Notarial Certificate .

5.      Copy of the Notarial Certificate of Birth 

6.      Copy of the Government ID(passport bio page, state driver license, etc )

7.      Copy of the IRS Joint Tax Return Transcript for 2016-2012 years.

8.      Copy of the family Health Insurance Card and Joint Auto Insurance Card.

9.      Copy of the house property joint ownership and property Tax Document.

10.   Statement of  Oversea travel history

11.   Statement of  Traffic Ticket Citation

12.  Original U.S. passport photo (2x2 inch size).

H1b ---> EB-1A (I-140) ---> I-485 AOS(Green Card) ---> 5 years --->  US Citizenship N400 application

• Day 011/16/2017, e-filing N400
  • Day 3069/18/2018,  interview day--passed and in line for oath.
  • Day 332: 10/15/2018, Oath Day

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
17 minutes ago, usdreamer said:

had read lots of folks talking about the uploading glitch and duplicates issue when filing N400 online. i am on 5-year-rule and about to file in a week and i have 10+ supporting evidences documents to upload including required and optional evidences.  here is my questions.

1, does it  have  file number limit when uploading ? i have 10+ individual PDF files, total  8.7 MB (  becomes  4.1 MB after merged all into a single PDF file ).  I read someone here said the maximum is 6 files to upload, and 6 MB maximum. Can anyone clarify?

i read from here that someone combined all evidence documents  into  a single PDF  file and uploaded ...of course, this wouldn't cause duplicate problem at all. BUT i am concerned if the  officer will love to read and print them all as they can't pick whatever evidence they need.

2, technically, should i click one  PDF file ,to upload,wait its finished,and the click the next PDF file to upload... Would this way be able to avoid the duplicate file name issue

here is the full list of my supporting documents in PDF:

1.      Cover Letter(1 page with e-signature )

2.      Copy of the U.S. Permanent Resident Card (front and back).

3.      Copy of the Court Order for Legal Name Change.

4.      Copy of the Marriage Certificate and Notarial Certificate .

5.      Copy of the Notarial Certificate of Birth 

6.      Copy of the Government ID(passport bio page, state driver license, etc )

7.      Copy of the IRS Joint Tax Return Transcript for 2016-2012 years.

8.      Copy of the family Health Insurance Card and Joint Auto Insurance Card.

9.      Copy of the house property joint ownership and property Tax Document.

10.   Statement of  Oversea travel history

11.   Statement of  Traffic Ticket Citation

12.  Original U.S. passport photo (2x2 inch size).

Just to note----the tax return transcripts are required for those filing under the 3-year eligibility.  You can just bring yours to the interview in case it's asked for if you wish. 

Same with the Health Insurance, Auto Insurance, house ownership and property document....not required under the 5-year eligibility rule.  Most likely, USCIS won't even look at them since they won't be using them to determine your approval/denial.

Also----a passport photo is required only if filing from outside of the United States.  They will take your photo at your biometrics appointment, otherwise, and use that one for the certificate.  

You *can* upload all of that if you wish, but it's not needed since you are filing under the 5-year residence terms.

By leaving the above out, it will cut down on the size of your uploads if that is your concern :) 

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

i took some time later today to try to go through the e-file process, by creating a fake account and finished all the steps till the "Pay and Submit" window...here is some of the key things important to me. hopeful useful to you as well.

1, there is no place to save all information you put in there. Once you logout in the middle way and login again later, there is only about 20% information(randomly ) saved and you have to re-add everything from the beginning.

2, for the EVIDENCES, you are allowed to upload up to  5 files per "section" (you select each single file at a time and it will show on the list, but its just pending , not uploaded yet, until you finish selecting all of the rest files, and  then click "SAVE EVIDENCES".  the system will upload all 5 files at the same time in a few seconds...Soon, your status shows all the 5 files are 100% uploaded with their own correct file name (no duplicate name or anything) ...then you can click "browse for files " again to continue the same process in the  2nd " section " to upload another 5 files and click"SAVE  EVIDENCE"...and the 3rd "section"... i tried  to upload 12 PDF files and 1 .jpg passport photo and all uploaded smoothly with the correct file name. No duplicate occured!

see the pictures below for details.

3, what's your USCIS online account number ?     i chose "i do not have a USCIS online account number",  as i have no idea what it is and where i can get it.. Can anyone clarify this number ?

01.jpg

H1b ---> EB-1A (I-140) ---> I-485 AOS(Green Card) ---> 5 years --->  US Citizenship N400 application

• Day 011/16/2017, e-filing N400
  • Day 3069/18/2018,  interview day--passed and in line for oath.
  • Day 332: 10/15/2018, Oath Day

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, usdreamer said:

3, what's your USCIS online account number ?     i chose "i do not have a USCIS online account number",  as i have no idea what it is and where i can get it.. Can anyone clarify this number ?

If you have never filed an application online with USCIS, and did not have a previous online account, you would not have an online account number.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
14 hours ago, usdreamer said:

i took some time later today to try to go through the e-file process, by creating a fake account and finished all the steps till the "Pay and Submit" window...here is some of the key things important to me. hopeful useful to you as well.

1, there is no place to save all information you put in there. Once you logout in the middle way and login again later, there is only about 20% information(randomly ) saved and you have to re-add everything from the beginning.

2, for the EVIDENCES, you are allowed to upload up to  5 files per "section" (you select each single file at a time and it will show on the list, but its just pending , not uploaded yet, until you finish selecting all of the rest files, and  then click "SAVE EVIDENCES".  the system will upload all 5 files at the same time in a few seconds...Soon, your status shows all the 5 files are 100% uploaded with their own correct file name (no duplicate name or anything) ...then you can click "browse for files " again to continue the same process in the  2nd " section " to upload another 5 files and click"SAVE  EVIDENCE"...and the 3rd "section"... i tried  to upload 12 PDF files and 1 .jpg passport photo and all uploaded smoothly with the correct file name. No duplicate occured!

see the pictures below for details.

01.jpg

this is very helpful  - I am curious though how they did not say you were not eligible if you put in a fake A# - I would have thought they would verify that somehow - kind of like the e-Verify app....

• sending I130 05/16/2007
  • cheque is cashed on 06/11/2007
  • NOA1 in mail 06/13/2007 (who said 13 is badluck )
  • 07/30/2007 After no touches and no other signs we just got an email with the APPROVAL of I130....Thank God !....now what ?

• 08/07/2007 Case received by NVC and case number assigned :))

• 08/13/2007 DS3032 and AOS bill were generated

• 08/14/2007 Emailed choice of agent ...i'm so curious when they will accept it...hopefully soon

• 08/21/2007 DS3032 and AOS fee bill arive in mail

• 08/27/2007 paid AOS fee bill
  • 8/28/2007 DS3032 choice of agent accepted
  • 9/3/2007 IV fee bill generated

everything information  you provide in the form will not be verified untill being submitted.  So you definitely can create a fake account and put in random numbers and fake name for your A# and SSN for this purpose.  but just dont submit!

ATTENTION!!!   Minneapolis N400 filers,  please use the link below to review others or update your status .!  Changes will be saved automatically. Best luck to all of us! 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zAp0TsKmPJf_9JiQxsUnfh2F9kLzbr9cpfyuGv2RjfQ/edit?usp=sharing 

My immigration journey:

• 08/2011,H-1b entry
  • 05/2012, EB-1A 140 approval
  • 02/2013AOS / I-485 approval and received green card
  • 11/2017, N-400 e-filed (5-year term)
  • 09/2018, N-400 approval 
  • 10/2018, oath day
  • 11/26/2018, minor child N-600 mailed out(USPS)
  • 04/12/2019, N-600 approval letter  

• 6 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.