Diesira59

Marriage based Interview I-485 Checklist Question

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

Hello Everyone!

We got our interview set (after a serious scare in September) for the day before thanksgiving. I wanted to make a list of me and my husband's (the person adjusting) items we will be taking to the interview and was curious if it was enough as well as a question regarding 3 items.

1: Immigration Documents: 

• Passport
  • All USCIS Correspondence Including address changes and re-opening of our case documentation.
  •  i-94,
  • EAD 
  • social security card,
  • State Issued ID.

2: Marriage certificate

3: Bonafides:

• 5 Notarized letters from longtime friends,
  • Apartment lease with shared names,
  • Letter of Responsibility for Utilities with both our names 
  • Bank statement from Joint account with both our names
  • Insurance letter stating my husband is a beneficiary
  • 401K  letter stating my husband is the beneficiary if I die
  • List of benefits from work showing change to add my husband as a beneficiary 
  • Pictures of us on vacation(s) 

4: My passport

In regards to the letters, i have only one family member that was willing to do a letter do this being a gay relationship. My mother who lives in Mississippi (we live in CA) filled out a letter, signed it, and had two of her friends sign it as witnesses. She didn't feel comfortable taking it to notary in her area. Should i bother adding it/taking it with? 

In regards to pictures, all of our pictures are taken with phones. I intend to color print them, put a cover explaining the destination and time frames of each set. Do you think this will suffice?

Lastly, my husband's I-693 was obtained by the immigration officer when he entered to United States. The officer did not return it and we assumed it was provided to USCIS. When we applied for the adjustment of status it was still with in 1 year of issuance. We called USCIS customer service to find out if we needed a new one performed before the interview and were informed no, we didn't need to worry.  Anyone see any concerns we should have with this?

Thanks in advance! And thanks for being an awesome community too!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
19 minutes ago, Diesira59 said:
  • 5 Notarized letters from longtime friends,
  • Apartment lease with shared names,
  • Letter of Responsibility for Utilities with both our names 
  • Bank statement from Joint account with both our names
  • Insurance letter stating my husband is a beneficiary
  • 401K  letter stating my husband is the beneficiary if I die
  • List of benefits from work showing change to add my husband as a beneficiary 
  • Pictures of us on vacation(s) 

notarized letters are low on the evidence poll

bank statement should show joint income going in and common household expenses / entertainment

you can add : health insurance cards, car insurance cards, renter's insurance - all with both names

pictures should also include family events / public events

you would probably need more financial shared liabilities - maybe car loans, credit card accounts

• sending I130 05/16/2007
  • cheque is cashed on 06/11/2007
  • NOA1 in mail 06/13/2007 (who said 13 is badluck )
  • 07/30/2007 After no touches and no other signs we just got an email with the APPROVAL of I130....Thank God !....now what ?

• 08/07/2007 Case received by NVC and case number assigned :))

• 08/13/2007 DS3032 and AOS bill were generated

• 08/14/2007 Emailed choice of agent ...i'm so curious when they will accept it...hopefully soon

• 08/21/2007 DS3032 and AOS fee bill arive in mail

• 08/27/2007 paid AOS fee bill
  • 8/28/2007 DS3032 choice of agent accepted
  • 9/3/2007 IV fee bill generated

Timeline

you could also add some medical / dental bills to show same address / benefits

• 07/30/2007 After no touches and no other signs we just got an email with the APPROVAL of I130....Thank God !....now what ?

• 08/14/2007 Emailed choice of agent ...i'm so curious when they will accept it...hopefully soon

Timeline
12 minutes ago, candybabe said:

notarized letters are low on the evidence poll

bank statement should show joint income going in and common household expenses / entertainment

you can add : health insurance cards, car insurance cards, renter's insurance - all with both names

pictures should also include family events / public events

you would probably need more financial shared liabilities - maybe car loans, credit card accounts

I am the only one working at the moment so its only my incoming that is coming in. However it will show the variety of outs for everything under the sun since that is the main account.

I can definitely add in our health insurances cards but he does not drive so hes not insured. 

I only have the one car loan that I am trying to pay off so as to get out of debt, so i don't know about creating brand new debt right now.... 

16 minutes ago, candybabe said:

you could also add some medical / dental bills to show same address / benefits

we definitively have dental bills and a medical bill to add there 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Diesira59 said:

I am the only one working at the moment so its only my incoming that is coming in. However it will show the variety of outs for everything under the sun since that is the main account.

I can definitely add in our health insurances cards but he does not drive so hes not insured. 

I only have the one car loan that I am trying to pay off so as to get out of debt, so i don't know about creating brand new debt right now.... 

we definitively have dental bills and a medical bill to add there 

ok  - one thing I would think to mention is that he is unemployed - you would not want the officer reviewing the case to think his income is stashed somewhere else....

so you could mention that during the interview just to clarify .... and also provide an explanation as to why (waiting for authorization,  he is studying, looking for work etc) so that again they do not worry he may become a public charge....

Timeline
9 minutes ago, candybabe said:

ok  - one thing I would think to mention is that he is unemployed - you would not want the officer reviewing the case to think his income is stashed somewhere else....

so you could mention that during the interview just to clarify .... and also provide an explanation as to why (waiting for authorization,  he is studying, looking for work etc) so that again they do not worry he may become a public charge....

Great advice, Ill make a note of it for sure. Does homemaker count for this answer? He is currently looking for work but not aggressive since we've been so focused on immigration, our recent move, and homelife. I make more than enough to support us both comfortably right now so we haven't pressured ourselves too much on it. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Diesira59 said:

Great advice, Ill make a note of it for sure. Does homemaker count for this answer? He is currently looking for work but not aggressive since we've been so focused on immigration, our recent move, and homelife. I make more than enough to support us both comfortably right now so we haven't pressured ourselves too much on it. 

the answer is what the answer is so if home maker it is than that's what you should say  -

what you need to keep in mind is that USCIS tends to be over protective of the US Citizen - they do not want anyone taking advantage in any way -

so if you applied for his employment authorization and received it , then obviously there was some interest in him working - if he does not have employment authorization then no issue there , he can't work anyway ....

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Diesira59 said:

the only reason my advice may seem a bit paranoid is that it is an AOS Interview, this will be his first interaction with a USCIS officer in the same room with  you in the US - so they will try and figure out everything about the two of you , from finances to toothbrushes per se.... so you want to be prepared for whatever kind of weird question they may ask.... you may be lucky and simply breeze through which would be ideal - or you may get someone that is grumpy and grill you ....

Timeline
9 minutes ago, candybabe said:

the answer is what the answer is so if home maker it is than that's what you should say  -

what you need to keep in mind is that USCIS tends to be over protective of the US Citizen - they do not want anyone taking advantage in any way -

so if you applied for his employment authorization and received it , then obviously there was some interest in him working - if he does not have employment authorization then no issue there , he can't work anyway ....

Got it. And we do an EAD and he has the interest to work.  So we'll be honest (as we should be regardless) on the subject with the agent. 

We're super excited and super nervous about this. :) 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Diesira59 said:

Got it. And we do an EAD and he has the interest to work.  So we'll be honest (as we should be regardless) on the subject with the agent. 

We're super excited and super nervous about this. :) 

don't worry - they are trained in psychology so they can spot love from a mile away :-) you will do great !!

Timeline
8 minutes ago, candybabe said:

the only reason my advice may seem a bit paranoid is that it is an AOS Interview, this will be his first interaction with a USCIS officer in the same room with  you in the US - so they will try and figure out everything about the two of you , from finances to toothbrushes per se.... so you want to be prepared for whatever kind of weird question they may ask.... you may be lucky and simply breeze through which would be ideal - or you may get someone that is grumpy and grill you ....

I understand entirely. Its putting a lot of out of our control at the end of it. No matter how prepared and confident we feel about each other in every way, someone may just be having a bad day and grill us like you said. My husband is a quiet person around strangers as it is and says um a lot normally so im doing my best to build him up as much as possible. 

I am a bit worried since its the day before thanksgiving and this person may want to just go home but i also know its a lot of weight on their shoulders deciding someones fate on something thats kind of ineffable. 

8 minutes ago, candybabe said:

don't worry - they are trained in psychology so they can spot love from a mile away :-) you will do great !!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Diesira59 said:

I understand entirely. Its putting a lot of out of our control at the end of it. No matter how prepared and confident we feel about each other in every way, someone may just be having a bad day and grill us like you said. My husband is a quiet person around strangers as it is and says um a lot normally so im doing my best to build him up as much as possible. 

I am a bit worried since its the day before thanksgiving and this person may want to just go home but i also know its a lot of weight on their shoulders deciding someones fate on something thats kind of ineffable. 

I was grilled at naturalization like you wouldn't believe although I had been here for almost 10 years - it was unexpected and in the end the lady just smiled and approved me - but I was in shock because I had not expected any of it - she was firing up questions all the way back to 2006 ?!? - which is fine but it just frazzled me -

so ever since then - hope for the best and prepare for the worst :-)

it may be to his advantage that he is quiet - I was babbling away and it didn't help lol

if he doesn't understand a question he should ask for clarification even if he is nervous - I remember a questioned she fired quickly as I was still answering the prior one, as she was taking notes, not even making eye contact " so you married him to come to the States ? " and I had to be vehement and say " no I married him so I could be with him ..."  - she was messing with me trying to get me busy with the first one and interrupt my answer ....but this kind of things ....just have to be very careful what the question is ....

Timeline
10 minutes ago, candybabe said:

I was grilled at naturalization like you wouldn't believe although I had been here for almost 10 years - it was unexpected and in the end the lady just smiled and approved me - but I was in shock because I had not expected any of it - she was firing up questions all the way back to 2006 ?!? - which is fine but it just frazzled me -

so ever since then - hope for the best and prepare for the worst :-)

it may be to his advantage that he is quiet - I was babbling away and it didn't help lol

if he doesn't understand a question he should ask for clarification even if he is nervous - I remember a questioned she fired quickly as I was still answering the prior one, as she was taking notes, not even making eye contact " so you married him to come to the States ? " and I had to be vehement and say " no I married him so I could be with him ..."  - she was messing with me trying to get me busy with the first one and interrupt my answer ....but this kind of things ....just have to be very careful what the question is ....

"hope for the best prepare for the worst" is my mantra! Though in this case preparing for the absolute worst involves me and him in the fetal position bawling our eyes out as step 3. Joking (kind of)

Oh wow, from 2006? Im sorry you got grilled heavily but glad to hear it was an approval in the end! :) 

And yeah thats something I mentioned to my husband could be in the questions. Be very clear/understanding of what youre answering. Its good to know we can ask questions for clarifications!

I know i cant answer for him, but can I help him understand the question? Like if they ask what size is your bed and he tries to answer 6 feet cause his brain shorts out on american measurements, can i guide him and suggest "like queen, twin, full,..." or should i just keep my mouth shut and let the USCIS help him out?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Diesira59 said:

"hope for the best prepare for the worst" is my mantra! Though in this case preparing for the absolute worst involves me and him in the fetal position bawling our eyes out as step 3. Joking (kind of)

Oh wow, from 2006? Im sorry you got grilled heavily but glad to hear it was an approval in the end! :) 

And yeah thats something I mentioned to my husband could be in the questions. Be very clear/understanding of what youre answering. Its good to know we can ask questions for clarifications!

I know i cant answer for him, but can I help him understand the question? Like if they ask what size is your bed and he tries to answer 6 feet cause his brain shorts out on american measurements, can i guide him and suggest "like queen, twin, full,..." or should i just keep my mouth shut and let the USCIS help him out?

ideally you would let him speak - you don’t want to be perceived as “leading the witness “

and of course he can ask for clarifications - he can even say he does not remember if that is the case - 

i have seen cases on here where the officer got annoyed when the spouse was trying to help the applicant or even hold hands with them - the only acceptable way is if you are the interpreter he is using for his case and you have signed the form as such - 

The reason they are so strict is because they are really reviewing his application for benefit not yours per se and in some fraud cases the couple has all kind of hand signals or whatever to match answers so they want the answers to be clear and clean. 

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 11/8/2017 at 4:26 PM, candybabe said:

ideally you would let him speak - you don’t want to be perceived as “leading the witness “

and of course he can ask for clarifications - he can even say he does not remember if that is the case - 

i have seen cases on here where the officer got annoyed when the spouse was trying to help the applicant or even hold hands with them - the only acceptable way is if you are the interpreter he is using for his case and you have signed the form as such - 

The reason they are so strict is because they are really reviewing his application for benefit not yours per se and in some fraud cases the couple has all kind of hand signals or whatever to match answers so they want the answers to be clear and clean. 

Hey There just wanted to give an update,

We had our interview with a nice lady who she herself was an immigrant, and it was incredibly easy. She had us both take an oath and then asked some very rudimentary "legal" questions such as:
Ever been apart of a terrorist group

Ever been deported

Ever been a drug trafficker

Ever tortured someone 

etc

Then she asked how we met, looked through our package (Which she gave us a lot of compliments on stating we had WAAAAAAAAY too much and that it was refreshing to see someone take this meeting seriously) The only things she wanted extra was a copy of MY insurance card and both our debit cards but only the front. 

We talked a little bit about how applicants reactions give her more legitimacy for their case and how its intertwined with job satisfaction for her. 

Then we chit chatted about the current political climate a bit, the difference between California and East Coast interview styles regarding Race, and then done.  She got on the phone, called someone for a form, then looked at us and said "Oh by the way, if you didnt guess from the call, youre approved for conditional green card." 

She came off like someone I would hang out with in general. And my husband, who is shy with strangers, warmed up to her very quickly. 

And now for a the year and 9 month vacation before we apply to remove the conditional! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.