crj83

B2 VISA HELP

33 posts in this topic

Hello I have been rejected for a B2 visa what do I need to do to get a visa I am 34 years old and have been with my fiancé ( both UK citizens)  for 12 years and have a son 10 and wanted to go to Disney world I been to Slovene ,Turkey ,Greece ,Spain and France I earn about £1000 a month I don’t own a house and am self-employed I have a criminal record and was told that my record did not stop me getting in to the USA it was 214b.

I tried to show the consular officer my travel info my flights to and from the US and were i was staying at Disney world and his response was so what you have bought a ticket  

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
35 minutes ago, crj83 said:

I earn about £1000 a month I don’t own a house and am self-employed I have a criminal record

These all are negatives... 1,000 per month is below poverty level 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
9 hours ago, crj83 said:

Hello I have been rejected for a B2 visa what do I need to do to get a visa I am 34 years old and have been with my fiancé ( both UK citizens)  for 12 years and have a son 10 and wanted to go to Disney world I been to Slovene ,Turkey ,Greece ,Spain and France I earn about £1000 a month I don’t own a house and am self-employed I have a criminal record and was told that my record did not stop me getting in to the USA it was 214b.

I tried to show the consular officer my travel info my flights to and from the US and were i was staying at Disney world and his response was so what you have bought a ticket  

Hope this helps

Section 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act

In 2015 and 2016, more than 5 million nonimmigrant visa applications were denied under Section 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. US law places the burden on nonimmigrant visa applicants (except for H-1B and L-1s) to show that they are not intending immigrants. Nonimmigrant visitor visa applicants (B) must show that they have a foreign residence that they have no intention of abandoning and are visiting the US temporarily for business or pleasure. Student visa applicants (F) have the additional burden of showing they have the qualifications necessary to pursue a full course of study and the intent to return to their home country upon the completion of their studies.

Applicants refused nonimmigrant visas are handed standard rejection letters stating that the reason they were denied is because they lack strong ties to their home countries and do not meet the standards for issuance of the visa. In fact, the actual reasons for the denial vary greatly. As is often the case, the actual reason may not be a legitimate, valid reason. Over the course of many years, we have compiled a list of actual reasons used by consular officers to deny applicants under Section 214(b). The most popular are:

1. Limited ties to home country. These are individuals who are young, unemployed or have a low- paying or new job; have no children; are not married; live in rural areas; and/or own no property or assets.
  2. Interview problems. The importance of the interview cannot be underestimated. How the applicant conducts himself; his honesty in answering questions; how he is dressed; reactions; facial expressions; eye contact; hesitation in answering questions; discrepancies in answers to questions and information contained in the application form; nervousness — all go into weighing the applicant’s intentions, credibility, and eligibility for a visa.
  3. Inaccurate consular understanding of facts or law. Consular mistakes in the review of visa applications are manifold. Officers have limited time and resources; are often deficient in the local language; and are inadequately trained in a very complicated area of the law.
  4. Fit overstay profile. If the applicant matches a profile that validation studies have shown tend to overstay visas, the applicant is likely to be denied. For example, during the late 1990s, Russians would buy timeshares in the US and use that as a pretext to visit the US. When several individuals did not return to Russia, the Embassy clamped down on such applicants, with both legitimate and not-so-legitimate timeshare owners paying the price with a 214(b) denial.
  5. Numerous, long-term visits to the US/extending status while in the US.  A consular officer may believe that:
    • the applicant is no longer residing in his home country;
    • may be engaging in unauthorized employment in the US;
    • and/or not in the appropriate visa status.
    It is usually the case where the applicant indicated a brief planned visit to the US in the initial application. By staying for a prolonged period of time and indicating a short planned visit in the subsequent application, the issue becomes one of credibility more than the above-mentioned factors. This problem frequently arises for grandmothers and grandfathers who spent substantial time in the US visiting and helping out with a newly-born grandchild and are denied visas because they have spent too long, in the opinion of the consular officer, in the US.
  6. Indicating a prolonged visit in application. A Catch-22 situation arises when an applicant indicates an intended prolonged visit in the initial application. In the above situation, the applicant received the initial visa by not being truthful and later paying the price; conversely, indicating the truth in the initial application may prompt a 214(b) denial.
  7. Change of status in the US. Notwithstanding USCIS approval of a change of status, a person returning to his home country to receive a new visa after changing status often is denied a visa. A consular official may feel deceived, that the applicant’s true intent at the time of the first application was to change status. For example, the applicant stated that he planned to visit the US for tourism purposes and then upon arrival, changed his status to H-1B.
  8. Student-specific problems. Consular officers often deny students because
    • of planned enrollment in a community college or a “non-brand name” university;
    • lack of adult-like economic ties to their home country;
    • enrollment in perceived non-career enhancement courses (e.g., a writer who enrolls in a business management program);
    • enrollment in a program with little practicality in the home country;
    • applications of older students (over the age of 30);
    • and a perceived poor track record while in the States (e.g., poor grades or poor attendance on an initial F-1 visa;
    • inadequate progress in the English language while located in the US for a summer work-travel program).
  9. “Hostage” situation. A family member may be denied if traveling together with the rest of the family. For example, a college student who applied together with his parents to attend his K-1 sister’s wedding in the United States was denied a visa — “held hostage” in his home country — while his parents were issued visas.
  10. Other relatives who previously emigrated. This category of applicants with relatives in the US may be denied for a couple of reasons:
    • the fact that an individual has a close relative in the US may be a negative consideration because it would be easier for the applicant to settle in the US;
    • if the relative in the US obtained status in a manner objectionable to a consular officer (e.g., B to asylum), the officer may find the applicant less trustworthy or simply punish the applicant for the perceived transgression by the relative in the US.
    Consular officers often ask in what status did the relative arrive in the US and legalize his status. Even a benign situation where an individual on a J Summer Work and Travel visa meets, falls in love with, and plans to marry an American citizen can lead to a visa denial for the parents to attend the wedding. There also does not appear to be a “statute of limitations” on this line of inquiry: a person with a green card for several years still may be the target of consular wrath and the applicant left to suffer the consequences.
  11. Pending or previously denied immigrant petition/application.Immigrant visa registration is usually treated as a “no-brainer” by consular officers: registration to immigrate is tantamount to an intent to immigrate.
  12. Submission of a DV Lottery entry. While most consular officers do not give weight to the mere submission of an entry in the Lottery, there are some that do. For example, the Embassy in Ukraine’s website states: “Although participation in the DV lottery does not disqualify one for a tourist or any other visa, it does indicate a desire to immigrate to the US, which is a factor in evaluating one’s ties to Ukraine.” Of course, if an alien is selected as a “winner” of the Lottery and she submits an immigrant visa application, then she will be considered to have shown immigrant intent and obtaining an NIV during the pendency of the immigrant process or after IV denial will be problematic.
  13. Applicant suspected of fraud. A consular officer may have a strong suspicion that a document (employment reference, bank statement) submitted is fraudulent, but does not have the time or resources to investigate. It is easier to just deny the application under 214(b) than to pursue a 212(a)(6)(c) finding.
  14. Lack of travel to Europe. In some consulates, holding a UK or Schengen visa may be deemed a prerequisite to “graduating” to an American visa. Such travel to Europe may reflect the availability of discretionary income; a return to the home country after having the opportunity to stay in a European country may evidence ties to the home country. Travel to beach resorts such as Thailand or Cyprus may not address this second concern because an individual would be less likely to live and work in that beach resort country.
  15. Previous denial/Lack of change in circumstances since previous denial. Consular officers often reflexively defer to a previous denial, citing to a lack of change in circumstances. Obviously, there may be personal or political considerations as well. This may occur even if an applicant is re-applying within days of the original approval, presenting new evidence. “What has changed since your last application?” is a common initial question. A widespread myth among applicants is that if they change the purpose of their trip — instead of going to visit Disneyworld, they decide to enroll in an ESL program — they will increase their chances of obtaining a visa. In doing so, they are of course digging their own visa “grave” deeper, exhibiting desperation, which may reflect on their ability to get a visa for years to come.
  16. Application at a non-home post/re-application at new post after denied at a different consulate (“Post-shopping”). An application at a non-home post may arouse suspicions that the applicant has attempted to circumvent the home post. For example, the home post may have a bad reputation among visa applicants, and a third country post may be viewed as more amenable to favorable review. The applicant who engages in the “post shopping” may attempt an application at the “favorable” post, only to have the application formally denied with a referral back to his home post. Similarly, an application at a different consulate after a refusal is more than likely doomed to failure.
  17. Guilt by association. An officer may deny every individual in a group because of the misdeeds of one or two individuals. For example, if an unrelated individual’s application is surreptitiously included in a baseball team’s group submission by the organizers, and the officer becomes aware of this, all members of the baseball team and its group may be denied.
  18. Inadequate finances to support the purpose of the trip. If the purpose of the trip is medical, then the applicant should have the financial wherewithal to pay the bills, either personally or have the support of a sponsor. An applicant in need of the medical treatment who opens a bank account immediately before submitting his visa application and places funds on the account may arouse suspicion that the funds are not his. Similarly, an affidavit of support from a non-relative submitted as a part of a student visa application may elicit a 214(b) finding because the officer may question the intention of the sponsor.
  19. Spouses/Children of F-1 Student. It is not uncommon for spouses and children to be denied where 214(b) is an issue, such as spouses and children of students who are located in the United States.
  20. Intent to visit the US to give birth in B status. The attraction for foreigners is obvious: to secure US citizenship for their soon-to-be-born child. While this activity is not specifically prohibited or permitted under regulations, the overwhelming majority of officers will not issue a visa to an expecting mother.
  21. Applicant previously gave birth in the US on a B visa. This issue has several fact-based mutations: 
    • at time of initial application for a B visa, the applicant was pregnant;
    • at time of initial application for a B visa, applicant was not pregnant;
    • applicant failed to pay the hospital bills associated with the birth.
    If at the time of the initial application the applicant was not pregnant and during the course of the validity of the visa gave birth in the US, this is less likely to be considered as a negative factor when reviewing the application. If the applicant was pregnant at the time of initial application and was not honest in disclosing the reason for going to the US, this may be held against the applicant upon subsequent application in the form of a 214(b) denial. This is particularly true if the applicant did not pay the hospital bills. In one case, it was only after 15 years, eight 214(b) refusals, and a donation to the hospital that delivered the baby that an applicant was able to obtain a visa.
  22. Suspicious-looking invitations. Inviting parties with little or no connection to the applicant may arouse suspicion about the legitimacy of the trip. Invitations in very general language or in poor English may also trigger a 214(b) finding. Inviting parties or invitations certified by notaries in the post’s “black list” will also lead to a 214(b) (or 212(a)(6)(C)) finding. Knowledge of a bogus support letter, for example, will be imputed to the applicant and usually lead to a 212(a)(6)(C) decision.
  23. Get-acquainted trip to see significant other. Invitations from Americans to their romantic interests often lead to denials. There does not seem to be regard for the stage of the relationship, whether the couple met last week over the Internet or have known each other for years and met each other in the applicant’s home country or in third countries. Usually, little regard is given to the applicant’s ties. There seems to be an assumption that the applicant will do anything to get out of her home country; that the American is her “ticket out”; and that the parties will marry upon her arrival in the States.
  24. Failure to comply with a post’s specific application requirements. Some posts may require original documents, such as bank statements, tax returns stamped by the tax inspectorate, or previous international passports. Some of the requirements may seem hyper-technical or irrelevant, but they are often prompted by high fraud rates. Thus, failure to adhere to the requirements may lead to a denial.
  25. Failure to meet the criteria for issuance of a work visa. The temporary employment visa requirements can be technical, and an applicant failure to meet the requirements may lead to a denial.
  26. Real estate ownership in the US. Those who own real estate in the US may be viewed as a heightened risk to stay in the US.
  27. 2-time participants in the Summer Work Travel Program. They may have difficulty obtaining a visa to visit friends because they are perceived as already having established ties to the United States.
  28. Elderly applicants. They may be viewed as more likely to become a public charge or tempted to retire in the US.
  29. Previous contact with police. An individual with an arrest record not rising to the level of 212(a)(2)(A) (e.g., a shoplifting conviction and two shoplifting arrests) may be considered a danger to engage in criminal behavior in the US.
  30. Pending immigrant applications to another country.  If an individual is in the process of immigrating to another Western country, for example, Canada, and applies for a visitors visa, he may be deemed to be a danger of remaining in the US.

The elasticity of Section 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act is truly a unique phenomenon in immigration law. As noted, many of these reasons are not valid reasons, and in fact, are specifically prohibited by Department of State regulations. Therefore, it is necessary to understand the consular officer’s rationale for the refusal, and when appropriate, challenge it. Failure to do so — silence — is viewed as agreement with the decision.

As can be seen, every denial is specific to that individual’s circumstances.

Edited by TBoneTX
to edit out contact link

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

214b basically means they think you have immigrant intent. It's nothing personal - that's their default position regarding all visitors - the onus is on you to convince them that you just want to visit, then return home. Unfortunately for you, though, the most convincing evidence would involve owning your own home and working for someone other than yourself. Unless you do both, you're unlikely to get a B2 visa any time soon. Cancel the Florida plans and stick to Disneyland Paris.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, NYCruiser said:

Limited ties to home country. These are individuals who are young, unemployed or have a low- paying or new job; have no children; are not married; live in rural areas; and/or own no property or assets.

7 minutes ago, NYCruiser said:

Previous contact with police. An individual with an arrest record not rising to the level of 212(a)(2)(A) (e.g., a shoplifting conviction and two shoplifting arrests) may be considered a danger to engage in criminal behavior in the US.

Yowser! Way too much irrelevant detail in that post for OP. These two are the most likely reasons for denial.

Timeline
21 minutes ago, crj83 said:

I would of thought my 10 year old son and his mum who are coming on the trip and  i have been with for 12 years would be more than motivation to come back to the UK i only want to go to disney world with my son as we have done pairs and did not think much of it 

But they would both be travelling with you - that's not really much incentive for you to go home. 

17 minutes ago, crj83 said:

The consular officer  told me my criminal record  was ok to get in  to the US 

That probably just means they didn't deny you outright because of your record - it can still factor into their decision - you've broken the law once, so in their opinion, you're more likely to break it again by abusing a visitor visa.

Ultimately, though, there's very little reasoning with officials when it comes to immigration. You've been denied. You're free to apply again, but will likely be denied again unless you can show stronger ties to the UK.

my last arrest was 2006 before my son was born. I don't particularly want to go to US but that's were Disney world is.

so what the USA are saying is get married which i technically am get a better job and buy my house then i would have £100000 in assets to sell and go on the run in the US i just hope we make it as hard for US citizens to come to the UK as it is a real scumbag way to discriminate so one over there wages.   

1 hour ago, crj83 said:

my last arrest was 2006 before my son was born. I don't particularly want to go to US but that's were Disney world is.

so what the USA are saying is get married which i technically am get a better job and buy my house then i would have £100000 in assets to sell and go on the run in the US i just hope we make it as hard for US citizens to come to the UK as it is a real scumbag way to discriminate so one over there wages.   

You are looking at it the wrong way. The people to blame are the millions of foreigners who used a visitor visa to enter the US and illegally stay. Visitor visa abuse is one of the biggest immigration problems that the US have. So obviously there are measures that have to be put into place. It is unfortunate but good people suffer because of a few bad.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

1 hour ago, crj83 said:

28 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

You are looking at it the wrong way. The people to blame are the millions of foreigners who used a visitor visa to enter the US and illegally stay. Visitor visa abuse is one of the biggest immigration problems that the US have. So obviously there are measures that have to be put into place. It is unfortunate but good people suffer because of a few bad.

NuestraUnion is 100% correct. Unfortunately people in lower wage brackets are more at risk for illegal immigration and a lot do actually take their whole families over. Personally I think it makes little sense for someone from the UK to do this as you'd also be giving up the NHS, decent social welfare net etc to do so, but I do think it's a case of certain boxes being ticked and you being denied as a result. I know that it is increasingly difficult for people from my home country to get US visit visas precisely because the numbers of illegal overstays has been rising steadily. (It's also possible the CO was a bit suspicious of the cost of the vacation in terms of your income, park tickets being as expensive as they are.)

(It's probably no consolation at all, but as someone who had to get visitor visas for both UK and US I can tell you that the UK visa application process is WAY more tedious, labor-intensive and difficult, as well as way more expensive, than the US.)

10 minutes ago, crj83 said:

The CO  did not even look at the holiday info. To me he had his mind made up before i went in to the room he had a young woman watching over his shoulder and seamed very smug in telling me i was denied entry 

Is your income info on the application? if so then yes unfortunately that probably was the key factor in their risk profile. It sucks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There is a Disney in Paris.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.