Amica Nostra

Sorry, Comcast: Voters say “yes” to city-run broadband in Colorado

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Voters in Fort Collins, Colorado, yesterday approved a ballot question that authorizes the city to build a broadband network, rejecting a cable and telecom industry campaign against the initiative.

FURTHER READING
Comcast has a lot to lose if municipal broadband takes off
Fort Collins voters said "yes" to a ballot question that gives the city council permission "to establish a telecommunications utility to provide broadband services," The Coloradoan wrote. "Unofficial, partial returns as of 12:42 a.m. showed the measure passing with 57.15 percent of the vote."

The vote doesn't require the city to build a broadband network, but it gives the city council the permission it needs to move forward on the plan if it chooses to do so.

“Misinformation” campaign

Industry groups tried to convince voters to reject the municipal broadband network; the city's mayor called it a "misinformation" campaign by the broadband incumbents. "I was very encouraged with the passage today, and particularly with the headwinds of incumbents trying to misinform the electorate," Mayor Wade Troxell said, according to The Coloradoan.

The anti-municipal broadband group, called "Priorities First Fort Collins," spent $451,000 campaigning against the broadband network ballot question. Priorities First Fort Collins received nearly all of its funding from the Colorado Cable Telecommunications Association and a group run by the city's chamber of commerce. Comcast is a member of both groups that funded the anti-municipal broadband campaign, while CenturyLink is a member of the chamber.

The pro-municipal broadband group in Fort Collins, the Fort Collins Citizens Broadband Committee, spent less than $10,000 in the campaign.

"This is another David vs. Goliath battle," Glen Akins, who helped lead the Citizens Broadband Committee, told Ars last week.

Today, Akins told Ars:

We overcame the opponents' massive, record-setting negative advertising campaign because we had a group of dedicated and passionate volunteers who believed in our cause. Our volunteers' passion inspired our community and our community once again affirmed their desire for better broadband and denounced the influence of outsized spending campaigns in our local politics. Big money can buy ad spots and air time but it can't buy votes in Fort Collins. Affordable, symmetric gigabit broadband will make Fort Collins an even more incredible place to live.
The anti-municipal broadband campaign had funded ads warning that a publicly funded network in Fort Collins would take money away from other infrastructure initiatives. The network would be funded by bonds, and supporters say it will be self-sustainable because of subscriber fees.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/11/voters-reject-cable-lobby-misinformation-campaign-against-muni-broadband/

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Timeline
56 minutes ago, CaliCat said:

the only good thing about Comcast is that their configuration allows you to mask your IP address and use one of their firewalls instead. 

wondering why Calicat has a use for this skill...

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Timeline
45 minutes ago, Il Mango Dulce said:

It comes in handy if your IP address is widely known. It affords you some anonymity. It's like going shopping wearing fleece, sunglasses, and a baseball cap.  

Timeline
4 minutes ago, CaliCat said:

It comes in handy if your IP address is widely known. It affords you some anonymity. It's like going shopping wearing fleece, sunglasses, and a baseball cap.  

whaaat?  I always dress like that

Image result for fleece sunglasses cap

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

1 hour ago, Il Mango Dulce said:

Catfishing maybe????

Edited by cyberfx1024

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My Repub controlled County also voted to do this.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

We used to use comcast because you don't have alot of options out here. But we have since got rid of everything besides internet with them. Got rid of their modem though - using my own, their settings suck. Using amazon fire tv instead of their cable and only using cellphones for a phone. I can't stand that company. For security/privacy I just use Windscribe VPN, definitely don't need comcast for that either.

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!