Jump to content
Leah09

Marriage in the US

16 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

55 minutes ago, MyJourney said:

It is up to you what to send the original or copy, but you won't get it back in either case. 

This isn’t for NVC.. it’s for the interview. Normally foreign marriage certificates need to be legalized but mine is from the US. So I have it as plain as they gave it to me when I got married. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The marriage certificate needed is a certified copy of the actual marriage certificate registered appropriately in the country the marriage took place.  In the case of the USA, it would be the State where the marriage took place.  This is generally something you "order" after the marriage is officially recorded by the applicable government agency.   For all purposes other than the actual visa interview, a photocopy of a certified copy is what is filed.


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

The marriage certificate needed is a certified copy of the actual marriage certificate registered appropriately in the country the marriage took place.  In the case of the USA, it would be the State where the marriage took place.  This is generally something you "order" after the marriage is officially recorded by the applicable government agency.   For all purposes other than the actual visa interview, a photocopy of a certified copy is what is filed.

What if I just bring the original certificate plus a copy for them? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure what you guys are talking about. "Apostille" means endorsement and it is for endorsing documents issued in Country A to be recognized/honored by Country B if they are both the signatories of the Hague Convention of 1961. There is no need to apostille a document issued in the USA for the US consulate. Just bring the original and a photocopy if that makes you feel better prepared. 

Edited by MyJourney

Relax, this is not a race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MyJourney said:

I am not sure what you guys are talking about. "Apostille" means endorsement and it is for endorsing documents issued in Country A to be recognized/honored by Country B if they are both the signatories of the Hague Convention of 1961. There is no need to apostille a document issued in the USA for the US consulate. Just bring the original and a photocopy if that makes you feel better prepared. 

That’s what I’m planning to do cause that’s what I have ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of people get married in the US and then do the CR/IR-1. You need to send a copy of the marriage license/certificate with your petition and then bring the original to your interview. What your license/certificate looks like depends on your state but it has to be the official one or a certified copy. In Texas, for example, the marriage license is signed by the minister/person ordaining the wedding, he/she then sends it to the county clerk, who signs it and put their seal on it and the license then becomes the marriage certificate. 


Met online October 2010


Engaged December 31st 2011


heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif



USCIS Stage


September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center


September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received


March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:



NVC Stage


March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid


April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid


May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application


May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents


May 18th 2015 - Scan Date


June 18th 2015 - Checklist received


June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC


June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review


Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team


Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests


Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:



Embassy Stage


Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam


Dec 21st 2015 - Interview


Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms


Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning


Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864


Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning


Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:



In the US


April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.


April 14th 2016 - SSN received


May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:


May 27th 2016 - Green Card received


June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mallafri76 said:

Lots of people get married in the US and then do the CR/IR-1. You need to send a copy of the marriage license/certificate with your petition and then bring the original to your interview. What your license/certificate looks like depends on your state but it has to be the official one or a certified copy. In Texas, for example, the marriage license is signed by the minister/person ordaining the wedding, he/she then sends it to the county clerk, who signs it and put their seal on it and the license then becomes the marriage certificate. 

Thanks, mine is from NY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2017 at 4:51 PM, Leah09 said:

What if I just bring the original certificate plus a copy for them? 

Perfect.  However, they would already have a "copy" because you submitted copies to both USCIS and NVC already.


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bring to the interview exactly what is requested. When I had mine at the London embassy last December there was someone there with a whole file of copies of everything plus originals. The document gathering in London is done in full view and earshot of the waiting area. This person was called to the desk and asked to hand over originals of his marriage certificate, etc. He kept trying to give extra copies as well. He frustrated the clerk hugely! In the end the clerk said "just give me what I have asked you for, nothing more, nothing less". 


event.png

Reunited at last!

event.png

US permanent resident since December 19, 2016

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JFH said:

Bring to the interview exactly what is requested. When I had mine at the London embassy last December there was someone there with a whole file of copies of everything plus originals. The document gathering in London is done in full view and earshot of the waiting area. This person was called to the desk and asked to hand over originals of his marriage certificate, etc. He kept trying to give extra copies as well. He frustrated the clerk hugely! In the end the clerk said "just give me what I have asked you for, nothing more, nothing less". 

Haha. The funny part is they do ask to bring originals + copies to the interview, but I dont think they ever ask for the copies. I think they’re just backup in case they lost the copies I sent already.

Edited by Leah09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is from NY I brought it exactly as I got it from the courthouse. I brought original and a copy, as per the checklist I got, but didn't get asked for either at the interview. 


Cateogory: CR1

  • NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:
August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×