Leah09

Marriage in the US

16 posts in this topic

Hi,

Did any of you applying for a CR1/IR1 visa get married in the US? For those who did, is the original marriage certificate good as such or does it have to be “legalized/apostilled”? To bring to the interview.

55 minutes ago, MyJourney said:

It is up to you what to send the original or copy, but you won't get it back in either case. 

This isn’t for NVC.. it’s for the interview. Normally foreign marriage certificates need to be legalized but mine is from the US. So I have it as plain as they gave it to me when I got married. 

Filed: Other Country: Turkey
Timeline

Sorry, I did not know that it was for the interview. Since it is from the US, it should be fine, I guess. Ours is from the US as well and I have no plans of legalizing or anything. 

Relax, this is not a race.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The marriage certificate needed is a certified copy of the actual marriage certificate registered appropriately in the country the marriage took place.  In the case of the USA, it would be the State where the marriage took place.  This is generally something you "order" after the marriage is officially recorded by the applicable government agency.   For all purposes other than the actual visa interview, a photocopy of a certified copy is what is filed.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

13 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

The marriage certificate needed is a certified copy of the actual marriage certificate registered appropriately in the country the marriage took place.  In the case of the USA, it would be the State where the marriage took place.  This is generally something you "order" after the marriage is officially recorded by the applicable government agency.   For all purposes other than the actual visa interview, a photocopy of a certified copy is what is filed.

What if I just bring the original certificate plus a copy for them? 

Filed: Other Country: Turkey
Timeline

I am not sure what you guys are talking about. "Apostille" means endorsement and it is for endorsing documents issued in Country A to be recognized/honored by Country B if they are both the signatories of the Hague Convention of 1961. There is no need to apostille a document issued in the USA for the US consulate. Just bring the original and a photocopy if that makes you feel better prepared. 

Edited by MyJourney

Relax, this is not a race.

2 minutes ago, MyJourney said:

I am not sure what you guys are talking about. "Apostille" means endorsement and it is for endorsing documents issued in Country A to be recognized/honored by Country B if they are both the signatories of the Hague Convention of 1961. There is no need to apostille a document issued in the USA for the US consulate. Just bring the original and a photocopy if that makes you feel better prepared. 

That’s what I’m planning to do cause that’s what I have ^_^

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Lots of people get married in the US and then do the CR/IR-1. You need to send a copy of the marriage license/certificate with your petition and then bring the original to your interview. What your license/certificate looks like depends on your state but it has to be the official one or a certified copy. In Texas, for example, the marriage license is signed by the minister/person ordaining the wedding, he/she then sends it to the county clerk, who signs it and put their seal on it and the license then becomes the marriage certificate. 

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

22 minutes ago, mallafri76 said:

Lots of people get married in the US and then do the CR/IR-1. You need to send a copy of the marriage license/certificate with your petition and then bring the original to your interview. What your license/certificate looks like depends on your state but it has to be the official one or a certified copy. In Texas, for example, the marriage license is signed by the minister/person ordaining the wedding, he/she then sends it to the county clerk, who signs it and put their seal on it and the license then becomes the marriage certificate. 

Thanks, mine is from NY

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
On 11/8/2017 at 4:51 PM, Leah09 said:

What if I just bring the original certificate plus a copy for them? 

Perfect.  However, they would already have a "copy" because you submitted copies to both USCIS and NVC already.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Bring to the interview exactly what is requested. When I had mine at the London embassy last December there was someone there with a whole file of copies of everything plus originals. The document gathering in London is done in full view and earshot of the waiting area. This person was called to the desk and asked to hand over originals of his marriage certificate, etc. He kept trying to give extra copies as well. He frustrated the clerk hugely! In the end the clerk said "just give me what I have asked you for, nothing more, nothing less". 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

7 hours ago, JFH said:

Bring to the interview exactly what is requested. When I had mine at the London embassy last December there was someone there with a whole file of copies of everything plus originals. The document gathering in London is done in full view and earshot of the waiting area. This person was called to the desk and asked to hand over originals of his marriage certificate, etc. He kept trying to give extra copies as well. He frustrated the clerk hugely! In the end the clerk said "just give me what I have asked you for, nothing more, nothing less". 

Haha. The funny part is they do ask to bring originals + copies to the interview, but I dont think they ever ask for the copies. I think they’re just backup in case they lost the copies I sent already.

Edited by Leah09

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Mine is from NY I brought it exactly as I got it from the courthouse. I brought original and a copy, as per the checklist I got, but didn't get asked for either at the interview. 

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

2 hours ago, Keas said:

Mine is from NY I brought it exactly as I got it from the courthouse. I brought original and a copy, as per the checklist I got, but didn't get asked for either at the interview. 

Perfect, thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.