rooji

Mother-in-law is PR but want to apply for daughter back hom

83 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am looking for advice or guide on this situation. A bit of a background first. My husband just came to US in Jan of this year and so did my mother-in-law (MIL). They both got their respective green card. My MIL was sponsored by her older daughter who is a US citizen now. My husband is new so he is not even going to try to apply for his younger sister. My older sister-in-law (SIL1) wants my MIL to stay in US, however due to my MIL's youngest daughter alone in Pakistan, she has to go back to Pakistan from time to time. My younger SIL (SIL2) is not married and is over the age of 25. Also we have tried to get her to come to US on tourist visa 3 times and each time she was rejected based on that she didn't have strong ties even though she had a job back home.

Now my MIL wants to apply for her daughter but the problem is that she has to travel back and stay a bit longer than 6 months and I know there is a re-entry permission form she has to file in order to do that but she is looking for a permanent solution, in this case petitioning for her daughter. The question that I have is that should she apply and if yes, how long will this whole process take? if she does submit the form, can my SIL2 apply for visit visa while the other process is taking place? can my MIL apply for her daughter while in Pakistan? Also will her chances be affected by the rejection for tourists visa? Unless you have another suggestion or advice that can help move her case faster, that would be great.

Looking forward to some help

Rooj

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Will take 7 years or so, as she is unmarried the quicker option would be to find her a Spouse.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

she can file for her daughter as long as she remains unmarried, the wait can be over 7 years

the reentry permit is only if she plans to stay abroad over a year and up to 2 years. if she is staying less than a year abroad, then she doesn't need a reentry permit

but the GC is for living here so she can't come and go all the time

unless there are changes in the daughter's life, not worth trying for a tourist visa.

13 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Will take 7 years or so, as she is unmarried the quicker option would be to find her a Spouse.

Finding a spouse is harder these days since most of the people want the girl in the country first now.

13 minutes ago, aleful said:

she can file for her daughter as long as she remains unmarried, the wait can be over 7 years

the reentry permit is only if she plans to stay abroad over a year and up to 2 years. if she is staying less than a year abroad, then she doesn't need a reentry permit

but the GC is for living here so she can't come and go all the time

unless there are changes in the daughter's life, not worth trying for a tourist visa.

If the wait can be over 7 years, is it possible that my SIL2 applies for tourist visa while her application is in process?

My MIL can't leave her daughter abroad for more than 3 months so she has to go back every 3 months now which is why the reentry process until something changes in my SIL2 life.

Timeline

Find her a local spouse?

Why can she not be left for 3 months?

She can apply for a B2 as often as she likes.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Try to apply for a tourist visa and see how it goes. It would better to have a tourist visa already in your passport before they apply to petition the daughter (so she can visit the US while the process is ongoing). I don't think they can get a tourist visa once the petition has already been submitted (because there is intent to immigrate).

-=ROC & Naturalization Timeline=-

January 25, 2021 - ROC application received

January 22, 2022 - Case transferred

January 16, 2022 - Naturalization application received

April 7, 2023 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

April 20, 2023 - Oath Ceremony scheduled

Timeline

hi

the reentry permit is to stay abroad and not enter every 3 months, if she gets the reentry permit, she doesn't have to enter every 3 months, she can stay over there up to 2 years

the daughter can apply for a tourist visa, but as I said, it's not worth it unless her situation changes as she has been rejected 3 times

but eventually she will need to leave her daughter alone, even the reentry permit won't be enough to cover 7 years

can the daughter move to another country? she could live in Europe by herself, she is 25 years old

Edited by aleful

Take note though that too frequent visits to the US might raise a red flag at immigration. Daughter should spend more time in her home country than in the US.

-=ROC & Naturalization Timeline=-

January 25, 2021 - ROC application received

January 22, 2022 - Case transferred

January 16, 2022 - Naturalization application received

April 7, 2023 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

April 20, 2023 - Oath Ceremony scheduled

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Find her a local spouse?

Why can she not be left for 3 months?

She can apply for a B2 as often as she likes.

even local spouse is harder without a mother present.
she can't be left alone for 3 months due to safety issues.

Just now, audacieux89 said:

Try to apply for a tourist visa and see how it goes. It would better to have a tourist visa already in your passport before they apply to petition the daughter (so she can visit the US while the process is ongoing). I don't think they can get a tourist visa once the petition has already been submitted (because there is intent to immigrate).

We applied for 3 times but she was rejected 3 times and im afraid she will be rejected again.

Timeline
1 minute ago, audacieux89 said:

she's already been rejected 3 times for a tourist visa

so unless she is able to show stronger ties, it's not worth it

2 minutes ago, aleful said:

hi

the reentry permit is to stay abroad and not enter every 3 months, if she gets the reentry permit, she doesn't have to enter every 3 months, she can stay over there up to 2 years

the daughter can apply for a tourist visa, but as I said, it's not worth it unless her situation changes as she has been rejected 3 times

but eventually she will need to leave her daughter alone, even the reentry permit won't be enough to cover 7 years

we are hoping that by the time she has to be back in states, there is something that has happened or changed in my SIL2 situation, its just that for now we can't leave her alone for more than 3 months.

2 minutes ago, audacieux89 said:

Take note though that too frequent visits to the US might raise a red flag at immigration. Daughter should spend more time in her home country than in the US.

my MIL's daughter is not in US or is able to travel to US so I am not sure what you are suggesting here. My MIL can travel back and forth with her PR.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, rooji said:

we are hoping that by the time she has to be back in states, there is something that has happened or changed in my SIL2 situation, its just that for now we can't leave her alone for more than 3 months.

I do not understand the safety issue but that may not matter, what is likely to change?

Just now, Boiler said:

I do not understand the safety issue but that may not matter, what is likely to change?

Okay Pakistan is not safe for someone to be left alone by themselves that too an unmarried girl. She does have other relatives but she doesn't want to live with them, not a good relationship with them.

We are hoping that by that time she is either married or something but right now the only family she has is us and we all are here in the states. after marriage we will not have to worry about her being alone. plus there is also cultural reason behind that.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, rooji said:

Okay Pakistan is not safe for someone to be left alone by themselves that too an unmarried girl. She does have other relatives but she doesn't want to live with them, not a good relationship with them.

We are hoping that by that time she is either married or something but right now the only family she has is us and we all are here in the states. after marriage we will not have to worry about her being alone. plus there is also cultural reason behind that.

What was plan when her mother immigrated? Not sure how visits by her Mother effect her security  positively. She is very unlikely to get a tourist visa to the US for obvious reasons, so sounds like there needs to be a Plan B.

Edited by Boiler

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.