hasson

B2 visa for Parents

56 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jimbo09 said:

Sorry if i'm hijacking this thread, but I have to add into the inconsistency of how CO approves/denies B2 visas. 

My sister-in-law applied for the B2 visa twice and was rejected both times with the same reason as above.  I call the generic "not enough ties to the home country" excuse BS since my sister-in-law has very significant ties to her home country.  For example, she is a CEO of her own company with a significant amount of cash reserve in the bank.  She has several properties throughout Vietnam and have travel extensively throughout Asia with Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, and Hong Kong on the list.  Adding insult to injuries--she is married with two kids (5yrs & 8yrs old).  During the interview, the CO asked her two generic questions and denied the visa request.  It seems like they had already denied her prior to the interview--it was just like going through the motion.  That's why I think there should be some transparency in this process..

What sort of transparency?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
19 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

A weak argument for immigration.

What is more important, a grandparent seeing their grandchild regardless of where or a grandparent wanting to see if the child's bedroom has enough toys in it?

Why its weak.. I know plenty of approvals with the above reason... 

Timeline
19 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

That is one of the biggest reasons for denials. A US citizen child can help change the status of their parent if that parent comes on a visitor visa and stays. It is a way to get them here without having to wait in their country for a family visa. That is one of the most common ways visitor visas are abused. And it is why most CO's ask about immediate family in the US.

I don't know if its based on the region.. I know many applicants from South India got B2 approved bec only reason they are parents of USC. They specifically states that they are coming over to see their children. Also the children submit I-134 to support them and the parents provide satisfactory documents. 

The reason is this as parents of USC they are eligible for immediate immigration and it won't take much time (a year or less). Its very easy to prove relationship with parents. The parents decision not to immigrate and going for a b2 proves their intention is only to visit the children. 

Maybe its due to the region. India is considered high fraud but few of the southern states are very low in fraud cases. 

9 minutes ago, dnp2014 said:

Why its weak.. I know plenty of approvals with the above reason... 

They were not approved for that reason. They were approved because they showed sufficient evidence that they were not a risk to abuse/overstay the visa. The CO is less interested in why they want to go to the US but more interested on why they would return to their home country.

Two people go to a bank to get a loan to buy a car. One's credit score is less than 500. The other's credit score is 800. Both have a reason for wanting a loan. It is just one is less of a risk to the bank than the other.

We always advise people who come on here and ask about visitor visas to focus more on strengthening the reasons they would return home (strong ties) over  WHY they want to go to the US.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Timeline
1 minute ago, dnp2014 said:

I don't know if its based on the region.. I know many applicants from South India got B2 approved bec only reason they are parents of USC. They specifically states that they are coming over to see their children. Also the children submit I-134 to support them and the parents provide satisfactory documents. 

The reason is this as parents of USC they are eligible for immediate immigration and it won't take much time (a year or less). Its very easy to prove relationship with parents. The parents decision not to immigrate and going for a b2 proves their intention is only to visit the children. 

Maybe its due to the region. India is considered high fraud but few of the southern states are very low in fraud cases. 

I'm not sure going for the B2 proves intention of only visiting, because I read plenty of changing of one's mind/circumstances and filing to adjust their status.

Also, plenty of threads of people wanting their parents (even from India) to come over on a B2 to help with childcare, which is against the rules.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
Just now, Umka36 said:

I'm not sure going for the B2 proves intention of only visiting, because I read plenty of changing of one's mind/circumstances and filing to adjust their status.

I know many do that but they are eligible for immigration before getting b2...

but if the above is the reason then they should never approve student visas.. there are plenty come with student visa (not eligible for immigration) with intention for AOS

Timeline
3 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

Also, plenty of threads of people wanting their parents (even from India) to come over on a B2 to help with childcare, which is against the rules.

B2 is for tourism, vacation, visit with friends or relatives etc 

Its not a problem if they are looking over their own grandchildren's.. No money is involved then no issue 

5 minutes ago, dnp2014 said:

I know many do that but they are eligible for immigration before getting b2...

but if the above is the reason then they should never approve student visas.. there are plenty come with student visa (not eligible for immigration) with intention for AOS

Isn't the topic about B2 visas for parents? What's student visa have to do with it?

1 minute ago, dnp2014 said:

Its not a problem if they are looking over their own grandchildren's.. No money is involved then no issue 

Wrong!

Does not matter if money is involved. It is illegal.

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2015/08/babysitter_versus_the_border_p.html

Also, a few years ago there was a member on here who's wife died during child birth. He asked his MIL to come over and help with the child while he worked and was grieving. The MiL visited as often as she could but then during a return visit to the US the border officer found out she was using the visitor visa to help with the child and was denied entry and had her visa revoked.

I'm hoping to find the thread to share with you.

Been discussed many times here that babysitting on a visitor visa is NOT allowed.

5 minutes ago, dnp2014 said:

Sure if the sole purpose is for visiting, but coming over to take care of a grandchild is not. It has nothing to be about being compensated monetary.  

Timeline
1 minute ago, BuiQuang said:

welcome to vj.  child care with no money been discuss many time.  illegal.  not allowed on B2.

I am not talking about childcare but some one coming to stay with their grandchildren for few months is not illegal .. period.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
11 minutes ago, dnp2014 said:

Of course it is.

Just now, dnp2014 said:

I am not talking about childcare but some one coming to stay with their grandchildren for few months is not illegal .. period.. 

I visit my Grandchildren, for a few months no.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.