chi6488

Wil K1 visa get an I-94 at POE???

16 posts in this topic

I am researching how my fiance once in the state will get an I-94.  I am trying to figure out how she can get a drivers license ASAP when she is here so I do not have to driver her everywhere and an I-94 is needed by FL.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 minutes ago, chi6488 said:

I am researching how my fiance once in the state will get an I-94.  I am trying to figure out how she can get a drivers license ASAP when she is here so I do not have to driver her everywhere and an I-94 is needed by FL.

i-94 will be able to be obtained online. Most DMV offices will require a residence proof in her/his name.

8/14/17 --- AOS sent I-485, I-765, I-131

8/16/17 --- AOS Packet received Chicago USCIS Day 0

8/21/17  --- Received email & text notification 

8/23/17  --- Received hard copy of NOA  

9/01/17  --- Biometrics letter notice for I-485 & I-765 & I-131  

9/11/17  --- Biometrics Appointment Done

10/17/17 - Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview

11/30/2017 - EAD/AP Approved
12/01/2017 - Card in Production
12/05/2017 - Received Approval Notice in the Mail
12/06//2017 - Card Mailed (Priority Mail) to Me
12/07/2017 - Card Received 

1/19/18  --- Interview Date 2/21

2/21/18  ---  Approved on the Spot

• 1 hour after the interview received uscis mobile app alert
  • Status changed from "Interview is scheduled" to "New Card Is Being Produced

2/26/18  --- Received hard copy of NOA for the Green Card

2/26/18  --- USCIS Mobile Status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

2/28/18 --- Permanent Resident/Green Card received :jest:

Travelling with Combo Card Feedback 

AOS Interview - Review and Tips

Brazil Instructions After i-129F Approval    and  Emails Sent by NVC and Brazilian Embassy after the i-129F approval

B2 Visa Experience / Mother-in-law financially challenged for visa

Please register for informed delivery if it is applicable in your region - USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

NVC - (603)-334-0700

USCIS - 800-375-5283

" Have you tried the search tool? K1 isnt an easy process and a LOT of reading is required to avoid problems (RFEs) etc, if you dont like reading, be prepared to spend WAY more time and couple more $$$ with an lawyer " 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, chi6488 said:

She will get it at the POE.

Wow for FL we at least need SSN in California for drivers license! 

12 minutes ago, Naes said:

She will get it at the POE.

Wow for FL we at least need SSN in California for drivers license! 

FL requires SSN, I-94  and the proof of residency.  I am sure I can show a marriage license to me and my property tax bills they can look up also for the last 17 years.  FL will accept a certification address form presented by me

Edited by chi6488

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

The I-94 can be obtained online after POE (sometimes it takes a few days for the immigrant to appear in the database). 

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

Click 'Get Most Recent I-94'

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline
12 minutes ago, chi6488 said:

I-94 only last 90 days, I think.

After that you'll have to have work authorization card and SSN in order to be able to obtain driver's license.

but you will only get 1 year (license expires when work authorization card expres).

I am talking about Texas. So Florida may have different rule??

:idea: KC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I can only speak for Maryland but my husband was able to get a temporary 10 month license with his NOA for his I-485 AOS form. He didn't need his EAD or GC. They just looked him up in the SAVE system. He had a SS number already and we had bank statements that had been sent to the house prior to his move in date (he lived in the US prior to having to move and just had his mailed forward to my house before he moved out of the country).

But I know I am in a Maryland Forum and some people in Maryland even had a hard time doing this and were surprised to hear he had such an easy time with him getting his license before his EAD was approved. If it is allowed in your state you might have to explain to the employees at the DMV how it works because some don't understand the procedures but they should be able to look up your fiancé on the SAVE system for proof of AOS.

Prior to this my husband was legally allowed to drive on his Australian license for 60 days (Maryland law is 60 days). We luckily followed all the right procedures because on the 65th day he was hit by a car that ran a stop sign and totaled our car. Lucky for us we followed all the proper procedures for him to be insured and licensed in Maryland.

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'd recommend her going to CAA and getting an international license if she's worried about driving right after arrival. https://www.caa.ca/travelling/international-driving-permit/

It's transcribed from her provincial one and will be valid for a year anywhere in the world, she just has to carry it and her provincial card on her. 

As for the getting the FL license, it looks like the proof of residency needs to have her name and the FL address on it. But looks like there's lots to choose from in the list,  as well as the certification of residence you'd submit. 

https://www.flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/what-to-bring/canadian/ 

Luckily FL is a snowbird state, so I'm sure it's pretty easy for Canadians to navigate the system.

AOS from K1 Timeline:

Spoiler

10/25/2017 -Mailed AOS packet including I-485, I-765, I-131 via USPS
10/27/2017 -Packet arrived at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

11/01/2017 -Priority Date
11/02/2017 -SMS Confirmation
11/06/2017 -NOA I-797 received for all 3

12/01/2017 -Went to scheduled biometrics appt
01/09/2018 -Receipt available online: AoS finally updated, EAD/AP still getting "Case number invalid" 

01/09/2018 - AoS is marked ready for interview to be scheduled. waiting for date.

02/02/2018 -Receive Paper approval notices for EAD/AP. Day 94. Receipt numbers FINALLY updated from invalid to approved lol.

02/07/2018 - Receive EAD/AP combo card in the mail. Day 99

30/07/2018 - Received notice of appointment for AoS interview scheduled 9/12

12/9/2018 - Had AoS interview and was approved! Day 320

18 minutes ago, LittleLeaf said:

I'd recommend her going to CAA and getting an international license if she's worried about driving right after arrival. https://www.caa.ca/travelling/international-driving-permit/

It's transcribed from her provincial one and will be valid for a year anywhere in the world, she just has to carry it and her provincial card on her. 

As for the getting the FL license, it looks like the proof of residency needs to have her name and the FL address on it. But looks like there's lots to choose from in the list,  as well as the certification of residence you'd submit. 

Luckily FL is a snowbird state, so I'm sure it's pretty easy for Canadians to navigate the system.

Thanks for the reply.  She does not have a drivers license in in VN so I think I will wait to have her just get a FL license.  I will be doing the "address certification" form for residency.  

On 11/8/2017 at 5:33 AM, chi6488 said:

Check the CBP website for the I-94...usually within days of entering this will already be updated. Once you have i-94 apply for the SSN right away. Get the marriage license as well and make copies. You can use this document as residency requirement because address will be reflected on the license.

I don't know about Florida, but expiration of the DL (here in DMV CA) will be based on the validity of the I-94 as well (90 days from POE).

He/She will be allowed to apply for DL 60 days before I-94 expires...

With my DL application, I was able to get a permit and get the behind-the-wheel driving test (and passed) but wasn't given the actual DL because I was already past 60 days of my I-94 expiry. They will issue me the DL card when I get my EAD though (proof of legal presence). <_<

So timing is very crucial with the DL. The problem I had was obtaining an early appointment for the behind-the-wheel test at the DMV. The earliest date I got was when I was already at the 65th day since my POE.

Some states (Colorado in particular) honor the I-797c of the AOS as proof of legal presence. Check your state's DMV requirements to check

Edited by audacieux89

-=ROC & Naturalization Timeline=-

January 25, 2021 - ROC application received

January 22, 2022 - Case transferred

January 16, 2022 - Naturalization application received

April 7, 2023 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

April 20, 2023 - Oath Ceremony scheduled

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/9/2017 at 2:11 PM, LittleLeaf said:

This does not work. That is only for visitors and she will not be a visitor. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/15/2017 at 4:22 PM, Ontarkie said:

This does not work. That is only for visitors and she will not be a visitor. 

I just mention it because it is required for internationals in some states and is helpful in the interim while waiting for eligibility (some states require EAD before being able to apply for licencing, and that could be many months from POE).

https://www.usa.gov/visitors-driving

As we discussed it looks like FL is pretty lenient and only requires proof of residential address and not status, so they should be good to get one asap. :) 

AOS from K1 Timeline:

Spoiler

10/25/2017 -Mailed AOS packet including I-485, I-765, I-131 via USPS
10/27/2017 -Packet arrived at USCIS Chicago Lockbox

11/01/2017 -Priority Date
11/02/2017 -SMS Confirmation
11/06/2017 -NOA I-797 received for all 3

12/01/2017 -Went to scheduled biometrics appt
01/09/2018 -Receipt available online: AoS finally updated, EAD/AP still getting "Case number invalid" 

01/09/2018 - AoS is marked ready for interview to be scheduled. waiting for date.

02/02/2018 -Receive Paper approval notices for EAD/AP. Day 94. Receipt numbers FINALLY updated from invalid to approved lol.

02/07/2018 - Receive EAD/AP combo card in the mail. Day 99

30/07/2018 - Received notice of appointment for AoS interview scheduled 9/12

12/9/2018 - Had AoS interview and was approved! Day 320

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, LittleLeaf said:

I just mention it because it is required for internationals in some states and is helpful in the interim while waiting for eligibility (some states require EAD before being able to apply for licencing, and that could be many months from POE).

https://www.usa.gov/visitors-driving

As we discussed it looks like FL is pretty lenient and only requires proof of residential address and not status, so they should be good to get one asap. :) 

It is actually useless. All that is is a translation of your licence. Only good for visitors, you are not a visitor. 

If living in a state that requires the EAD or Green card then you cannot drive with your international license. No matter what the insurance company tells ppl. if stopped you will be ticketed. If the search features on here work for old threads you can find many where ppl found that out the hard way. 

Florida does require proof of status also, the days of snowbirds getting a FL licence are long gone. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.