Piersha

B2 Visa application, approved in London, but in Administrative Processing

38 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I had my visa interview for a B2 at the US embassy in London on November 7th 2017. The interview seemed to go smoothly, I wasn't missing or asked for any further documents and he seemed very content with my reasons for applying for a B2 visa. At the end of the interview he said "ok, thank you, you will get your passport back in around 7 business days" - to which I responded, so it's approved? He confirmed "yes, it's approved".

Since the interview I checked the status online and it stated my visa is in Administrative Processing.

I have read a number of horror stories online about AP, so now I am absolutely terrified I won't be getting my passport for weeks / months! 

Why if it is approved, would they put it in AP?

I noticed online that there aren't many posts / queries on AP in London, so it leads me to feel that this isn't a common occurrence in the London embassy. Anybody have any knowledge on this + are my worries misplaced?

Many thanks,

Piers

All applications go through administrative processing for a day or 2. That's why it takes "7 business days" to get your passport back. Administrative processing is an umbrella term for all admin work that goes on between the interview and the passport being ready. It includes printing the visa, adding interview notes to your file, final background checks, etc. Within a day or two it should change to "issued". 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

23 hours ago, JFH said:

All applications go through administrative processing for a day or 2. That's why it takes "7 business days" to get your passport back. Administrative processing is an umbrella term for all admin work that goes on between the interview and the passport being ready. It includes printing the visa, adding interview notes to your file, final background checks, etc. Within a day or two it should change to "issued". 

I hope you're right... still on AP with no status update since the interview. Sure does make you nervous !

3 minutes ago, Juniormember said:

Hi Piersha,

Did your status change yet? As I seem to face a similar issue to yours and had applied on the same day as you? If so when did the status change?

Yes it changed to "issued" on Thursday in the early afternoon. In all about 2.5 days in Administrative processing. 

It's ready to be collected tomorrow from the delivery point...

The embassy was closed on Friday as it was an American holiday, so that will add an extra day / delay to any AP going on...

Good luck

Edited by Piersha

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

Need help to assert my present  situation after B1/B2 visa refusal 214 (b) now it is on Administrative processing.

The first interview was on the 14/11/17 some mistakes were made at the time of the DS-160 Application online, so I was given a straight refusal section 214 (b) The refusal which based on the situation, including family, community, professional, property, and economic ties to the applicant’s outside the United States as well as prior travel history, later rectify the problem and reapply again on the 14/12/17, the  same refusal was given 214 (b) asked the CO why after all these documentations, and he replies many reasons, after a few hours my visa status was placed on administrative processing!

NONIMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION

Administrative Processing

Application ID or Case Number:

Case Created:

14-Dec-2017

Case Last Updated:

14-Dec-2017

Your visa case is currently undergoing necessary administrative processing. This processing can take several weeks. Please follow any instructions provided by the Consular Officer at the time of your interview. If further information is needed, you will be contacted. If your visa application is approved, it will be processed and mailed/available within two business days.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 hour ago, Hemson said:

Hello everyone,

Need help to assert my present  situation after B1/B2 visa refusal 214 (b) now it is on Administrative processing.

The first interview was on the 14/11/17 some mistakes were made at the time of the DS-160 Application online, so I was given a straight refusal section 214 (b) The refusal which based on the situation, including family, community, professional, property, and economic ties to the applicant’s outside the United States as well as prior travel history, later rectify the problem and reapply again on the 14/12/17, the  same refusal was given 214 (b) asked the CO why after all these documentations, and he replies many reasons, after a few hours my visa status was placed on administrative processing!

Case Created:

14-Dec-2017

Case Last Updated:

14-Dec-2017

Your visa case is currently undergoing necessary administrative processing. This processing can take several weeks. Please follow any instructions provided by the Consular Officer at the time of your interview. If further information is needed, you will be contacted. If your visa application is approved, it will be processed and mailed/available within two business days.

If you were refused a visa probably just the system catching up.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 hours ago, Hemson said:

Hello everyone,

Case Created:

14-Dec-2017

Case Last Updated:

14-Dec-2017

If nothing material in your situation changed then the second refusal is not surprising. Sites eg https://www.path2usa.com/214b-refusal will tell you that just providing documents is not usually enough to change a previous refusal.

i presume they gave you your passport back? In which case I’d agree with Boiler’s assessment above.

Hello everyone,

Case Created:

14-Dec-2017

Case Last Updated:

14-Dec-2017

Before the second reapply, I contacted the embassy by email of  new evidence of documents that were not included in the first interview, such as traveled history, used to live in Germany for 6 years, certificates of marriage, kids, personal business documents and also employment contract. Try to show it to the consular but he didn’t look at the documents just replied that I have seen your documents are right before me on the screen.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Documents are usually irrelevant to a B application, any reason you can not use the VWP?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.