6 posts in this topic

My fiance is from  Africa (Nigeria),met in 2012 online (Facebook) and we been together since then.we tired getting a visa for him to visi,sent invitation letters twice for I visitors/tourist visa but he was denied that was in 2015,in 2016 he tried again  the second time but was denied.so I came to Africa for the first time this year March we had alot fun and I met with his family and relatives.i really love him and we intend in getting married.so I said let's try the fiance visa and I hired an immigration attorney to help us do that.am fill the paperwork now and he is filling his too and we plan on submitting it this week to the agency to help us out.but am scared he may be denied again and I have waited a long time to be with him and him being denied again would really break our hearts.what do you think we gotta do or what are our chance of him getting the visa and all? please you help and quick replies would be so very much appreciated.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

You don't need an attorney and you should become knowledgeable of the entire process from start to finish as you are your own best advocate in getting things right and processed.  Nigeria can be a tough go but relax in that the previous tourist visa denials do not reflect negatively on your K-1 application.  To increase your chances of success you want to front load your application.  You do that by providing more details about how you met and proof of relationship.  My advice is to focus on what would show this to be a true relationship and try to put only the most relevant information in there rather than just dumping everything you can think of in.   For instance, you have pictures of you together when you visited him.  So you'd want to include some of those as well as any receipts for hotels you stayed in, boarding passes, even receipts for dinner etc.   Ideally with accompanying pictures.   Pictures can be faked (as can receipts) but if you can put it together the pictures lend weight to the veracity of the receipts and visa-versa.   You ideally would show evidence of a real relationship beyond just your one visit.  Things like excepts from chat logs for significant points in the development of your relationship... Things like how you met, how you discussed family and culture issues, religion, or other issues that might be problematic in your relationship.... Note that if you have any red flags, such as if you are significantly older than him you may want to consider a 2nd or 3rd in person visit.   Also know if you are denied for K--1 it is not the end of the road, you can go there marry and file for a spousal visa although you would want to understand and try to address any reasons for denial..   Think of all of this from the point of view of a skeptical Consulate Officer interviewing him and assuming that he is simply pursuing a green card.   Keep this in mind when assembling your front-load package and see if you can include anything to make a skeptical CO more likely to accept that he is legitimately interested more in being your husband than a green card.  (I'm not sure what that would be but bear that in mind and see if there is anything that your  could include that would be relevant)   

59 minutes ago, JE57 said:

You don't need an attorney and you should become knowledgeable of the entire process from start to finish as you are your own best advocate in getting things right and processed.  Nigeria can be a tough go but relax in that the previous tourist visa denials do not reflect negatively on your K-1 application.  To increase your chances of success you want to front load your application.  You do that by providing more details about how you met and proof of relationship.  My advice is to focus on what would show this to be a true relationship and try to put only the most relevant information in there rather than just dumping everything you can think of in.   For instance, you have pictures of you together when you visited him.  So you'd want to include some of those as well as any receipts for hotels you stayed in, boarding passes, even receipts for dinner etc.   Ideally with accompanying pictures.   Pictures can be faked (as can receipts) but if you can put it together the pictures lend weight to the veracity of the receipts and visa-versa.   You ideally would show evidence of a real relationship beyond just your one visit.  Things like excepts from chat logs for significant points in the development of your relationship... Things like how you met, how you discussed family and culture issues, religion, or other issues that might be problematic in your relationship.... Note that if you have any red flags, such as if you are significantly older than him you may want to consider a 2nd or 3rd in person visit.   Also know if you are denied for K--1 it is not the end of the road, you can go there marry and file for a spousal visa although you would want to understand and try to address any reasons for denial..   Think of all of this from the point of view of a skeptical Consulate Officer interviewing him and assuming that he is simply pursuing a green card.   Keep this in mind when assembling your front-load package and see if you can include anything to make a skeptical CO more likely to accept that he is legitimately interested more in being your husband than a green card.  (I'm not sure what that would be but bear that in mind and see if there is anything that your  could include that would be relevant)   

Yes we have pictures and even videos together in the hotel room,in his family house and we went for dinner together.we Skype and call using Facebook video call and all.

3 hours ago, Sasha Williams said:

Yes we have pictures and even videos together in the hotel room,in his family house and we went for dinner together.we Skype and call using Facebook video call and all.

Just go into this and realize that Nigeria is a high fraud area.  Make sure that you front load your petition with proof of a bona fide relationship.  Videos won't help as they will not get to see those.  Lots of pictures with family will be the key.

From what I've read here, lawyers actually slow the process down and there are a lot of complaints when the petitioner knows more about the requirements than the immigration lawyer.  Make sure you get very familiar with the process so you can recognize if the lawyer is slowing you down.  Good luck to you and again, Nigeria is tough.  Don't leave any doubt in the adjudicator's mind that it isn't a real relationship.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.