Jump to content
luv2teach77

November 2017 N-400 Interview Experience - St. Louis Field Office

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Here's a little more detail on my N-400 Naturalization interview yesterday.

 

My interview notice said I was scheduled for 8am so I arrived in the designated office on the 2nd floor at around 7.45. It was the same room I'd been to before to attend various infopass appointments over the last 12 years.  There were 4 or 5 other people already sat around, some had infopass appointments and were called in turn to talk to the woman manning the infopass desk.

 

Luckily, after about 10 minutes, the lady doing the infopass appointments asked if anyone was there for something other than an infopass appointment ?  I told her I was and she said that anyone here for an interview had to place our interview notices in the mailbox at the back of the room.  If she hadn't told me this, I'd have never known that was what was expected.  I could have been there all day !!  Anyways... I mailed my notice in the slot and almost immediately my name was called and I walked back to a smaller office with the interviewing officer.  She told me her name but so quickly that I had to ask for it again after I entered her office.  She made raise my right hand and swear to tell the truth before telling m to sit down.

 

She had my file on her desk already and asked me for my green card, drivers license and my passports (current and expired).  I had made copies of all of those documents plus birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce decrees, last 3 years of tax returns but was never asked for any of them.  Although I came to the US on a K-1 Visa back in 2005, I've been a green card holder long enough to file based on years of permanent residency.  That drastically reduced the amount of supporting documentation I submitted with my application and also what was required for the interview !!

 

The USCIS interviewer told me she preferred to give the test(s) first and started with the reading / writing "test".  I'm 40 years old and English is my first language so this was never going to be a problem but I was tested anyway.  I had to read "What month is Columbus Day ?" and then write "Columbus Day is in October".  Easy peasy !!  Then onto the civics test...

 

I should say that although I've had the book (and accompanying CD) since my biometrics appointment in January, I truly hadn't started looking at it until about 2 weeks ago.  Between several study sessions with my wife and 8 year old daughter and having the CD on a loop in my car during my 2 hour round trip to work, I felt pretty confident.  I was told she had to take my first answer.  She asked the following 6 questions (which I answered correctly so didn't need any more)...

 

1) Who would serve as president if the President and Vice President were unable to ? - Speaker of the house

2) What does the Cabinet do ? - Advises the president

3) How many supreme court judges are there ? - 9

4) How long do we appoint a US senator for ? - 6 years

5) Name one branch of the Federal Government ? - Executive branch

6) <The last question escapes me but I know I got it right :) !!>

 

At that point she very quickly went over my application, verifying some details and updating some others (I started a new job 3 weeks ago).  She thumbed through my passport and asked if I'd made any trips outside the US since applying (I hadn't).

 

At that point she said that she was approving me and that I would be notified of the date and location of my oath ceremony soon.  One piece of information I wasn't aware of was that although I interviewed in St. Louis, my interview will be in Illinois near where I live.  She confirmed that I knew what taking the oath of allegiance meant, had me sign one last piece of paper and that was it.  The whole interview took less than 15 minutes.

 

Hopefully this account is of some use to someone in the future.  The interviewer was very personable and the whole process went very smoothly.

 

Thanks,

 

Mark

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2017 at 8:52 PM, luv2teach77 said:

Here's a little more detail on my N-400 Naturalization interview yesterday.

 

My interview notice said I was scheduled for 8am so I arrived in the designated office on the 2nd floor at around 7.45. It was the same room I'd been to before to attend various infopass appointments over the last 12 years.  There were 4 or 5 other people already sat around, some had infopass appointments and were called in turn to talk to the woman manning the infopass desk.

 

Luckily, after about 10 minutes, the lady doing the infopass appointments asked if anyone was there for something other than an infopass appointment ?  I told her I was and she said that anyone here for an interview had to place our interview notices in the mailbox at the back of the room.  If she hadn't told me this, I'd have never known that was what was expected.  I could have been there all day !!  Anyways... I mailed my notice in the slot and almost immediately my name was called and I walked back to a smaller office with the interviewing officer.  She told me her name but so quickly that I had to ask for it again after I entered her office.  She made raise my right hand and swear to tell the truth before telling m to sit down.

 

She had my file on her desk already and asked me for my green card, drivers license and my passports (current and expired).  I had made copies of all of those documents plus birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce decrees, last 3 years of tax returns but was never asked for any of them.  Although I came to the US on a K-1 Visa back in 2005, I've been a green card holder long enough to file based on years of permanent residency.  That drastically reduced the amount of supporting documentation I submitted with my application and also what was required for the interview !!

 

The USCIS interviewer told me she preferred to give the test(s) first and started with the reading / writing "test".  I'm 40 years old and English is my first language so this was never going to be a problem but I was tested anyway.  I had to read "What month is Columbus Day ?" and then write "Columbus Day is in October".  Easy peasy !!  Then onto the civics test...

 

I should say that although I've had the book (and accompanying CD) since my biometrics appointment in January, I truly hadn't started looking at it until about 2 weeks ago.  Between several study sessions with my wife and 8 year old daughter and having the CD on a loop in my car during my 2 hour round trip to work, I felt pretty confident.  I was told she had to take my first answer.  She asked the following 6 questions (which I answered correctly so didn't need any more)...

 

1) Who would serve as president if the President and Vice President were unable to ? - Speaker of the house

2) What does the Cabinet do ? - Advises the president

3) How many supreme court judges are there ? - 9

4) How long do we appoint a US senator for ? - 6 years

5) Name one branch of the Federal Government ? - Executive branch

6) <The last question escapes me but I know I got it right :) !!>

 

At that point she very quickly went over my application, verifying some details and updating some others (I started a new job 3 weeks ago).  She thumbed through my passport and asked if I'd made any trips outside the US since applying (I hadn't).

 

At that point she said that she was approving me and that I would be notified of the date and location of my oath ceremony soon.  One piece of information I wasn't aware of was that although I interviewed in St. Louis, my interview will be in Illinois near where I live.  She confirmed that I knew what taking the oath of allegiance meant, had me sign one last piece of paper and that was it.  The whole interview took less than 15 minutes.

 

Hopefully this account is of some use to someone in the future.  The interviewer was very personable and the whole process went very smoothly.

 

Thanks,

 

Mark

 

Thanks for sharing and congrats 

st Luis is my field office and I’ll be sending my application next week,just wanna know how long it took you from the date they received your app till the interview date

thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, HB05 said:

Thanks for sharing and congrats 

st Luis is my field office and I’ll be sending my application next week,just wanna know how long it took you from the date they received your app till the interview date

thank you

I'm not 100% sure when the St. Louis office received my file.  My online status didn't update between my biometrics being scheduled and receiving my interview notice in the mail.  I submitted my N-400 paperwork in late December, 2016 and just had my interview this week.  I can't be any more specific with the St. Louis part of the timeline than that I'm afraid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, luv2teach77 said:

I'm not 100% sure when the St. Louis office received my file.  My online status didn't update between my biometrics being scheduled and receiving my interview notice in the mail.  I submitted my N-400 paperwork in late December, 2016 and just had my interview this week.  I can't be any more specific with the St. Louis part of the timeline than that I'm afraid.

It’s ok ,just wanna have an idea so if u fill late December and u just got ur interview so we’re looking at 11 months and that’s a lot from what I read ,they said it average 5 to 8 months 

thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, HB05 said:

It’s ok ,just wanna have an idea so if u fill late December and u just got ur interview so we’re looking at 11 months and that’s a lot from what I read ,they said it average 5 to 8 months 

thanks 

Like everything immigration related, potential timelines are very elastic.  Priority dates are pretty rigid from an adjudication point of view and the USCIS stays pretty tight lipped until you reach or exceed that date.  Everything else is pretty fluid and the best plan is to not expect anything to go per the advertised guidelines.  I engaged my local congressman as I approached my priority date but can't be sure if that sped anything up or not.

 

Good luck !!

 

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×