Amica Nostra

Ralph Northam Wins the Virginia Governor’s Race

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/us/politics/virginia-election-democrats.html?action=Click&contentCollection=BreakingNews&contentID=66057421&pgtype=article

Lt. Gov. Ralph S. Northam, an understated physician and Army veteran, was elected governor of Virginia Tuesday, according to the Associated Press, overcoming a racially charged campaign by his Republican opponent and cementing Virginia’s transformation into a reliably Democratic state largely immune to Trump-style appeals.

Mr. Northam was propelled to victory over Ed Gillespie, the Republican nominee, by liberal and moderate voters who were eager to send a message to President Trump in a state that rejected him in 2016 and where he is deeply unpopular.

The campaign between a pair of low-key, establishment politicians was brought to life by national wedge issues, from immigration to Confederate iconography, and Mr. Northam’s win offered a momentary catharsis for Democrats beyond Virginia’s borders, who have been hungry to find political success this year.

Democrats are likely to fare well overall on Tuesday night if they wrest the governorship of New Jersey away from Republican control, and perhaps capture a key legislative chamber in Washington State, which would give the party full control of government on the West Coast. In New Jersey, Phil Murphy, a former Goldman Sachs executive, held a wide polling lead before Election Day.

And Mr. Northam’s victory also handed Democrats a stronger hand to block any Republican attempts at gerrymandering after the next census.

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Timeline
Just now, Jacque67 said:
Reminder: Trump tweeted a bunch for Gillespie, just recorded a robocall that went out today for Gillespie.
25 minutes ago
Kyle Griffin

what did you do?  

" I tweeted" 

But the state of Virginia is like right over there, across the river

"too much work unless I am visiting my golf course "

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Il Mango Dulce said:

So, our so-called president attributes the loss to the fact the candidate was not linked to him? In other words, had the guy won, he'd say it's because of Trump, but since he lost it's because he didn't embrace the Supreme Leader's cult? He must have left his meds back in DC and they're wearing out. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Ahh, remember Trump's support for Strange.

too bad racism and anti-immigrant fearmongering don't get the votes, Gillespie!

As Rick Wilson says, Eveything.Trump.Touches.Dies.

poor old Donnie couldn't make it to the DMZ today.:jest:

Ted Poe and Frank LoBiondo announce their retirements. Justin Fairfax to win Virginia Lt Gov.

Phil Murphy wins NJ. Danica  Roem wins tonight.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊💥💥💥

Timeline
1 minute ago, CaliCat said:

So, our so-called president attributes the loss to the fact the candidate was not linked to him? In other words, had the guy won, he'd say it's because of Trump, but since he lost it's because he didn't embrace the Supreme Leader's cult? He must have left his meds back in DC and they're wearing out. 

I blame Diaper Don! He told Republicans to get out and vote TOMORROW !

Timeline
1 minute ago, Steeleballz said:

I haven't followed this closely. All I recall was some old racist guy trying to run a bunch of kids over. Fortunately it was just a bad dream though.

there were good people on all sides , on the hood, on the roof, on  the trunk, on the bumper....

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Jacque67 said:

But President Donald Trump’s son, Donald Trump Jr., tweeted not once, but twice urging Virginians to vote “tomorrow.”

“Let’s take @EdWGillespie across the finish line tomorrow!” Trump Jr. tweeted to his 2.22 million Twitter followers. “Virginia: get out and vote for Ed & entire @GOP ticket.”

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Timeline
Just now, Il Mango Dulce said:

But President Donald Trump’s son, Donald Trump Jr., tweeted not once, but twice urging Virginians to vote “tomorrow.”

“Let’s take @EdWGillespie across the finish line tomorrow!” Trump Jr. tweeted to his 2.22 million Twitter followers. “Virginia: get out and vote for Ed & entire @GOP ticket.”

He's running.

Timeline

This news has obviously got Don the Con sweating...

At South Korean National Assembly, man at head of the dais advises: “President Trump is now working on the text of the speech to the National Assembly, so could you please wait for a moment."
16 minutes ago
Rebecca Ballhaus