Canada Drivers License switch to US?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
56 minutes ago, mr-mrs-hdc said:

Hey, it was pretty easy for me.

What they needed from me:

1) SSN Card

2) Passport (or you can use birth certificate)

3) EAD Card

4) I-797 NOA for my I-485 (I brought all of my NOA's).

5) 2 pieces of mail to establish residency. (I only really needed one, because of my I-797 had my address on them).

6) I also showed them my Canadian driver license.

I went into the DMV and said I was a new resident and wanted to transfer my license. I filled out a form. Took the eye exam.

The hard part was waiting 70 minutes to finally get called up.... I had my new driver license within 20 minutes of handing over all the documents. They also never punched my Canadian driver license/ made me hand it over. So I guess I have two... I'll just keep the Ontario license as a souvenir now though. 

When did you Arrive? Did you arrive on a specific visa?

Thank you so much for a detailed response

10/26/2017: Priority Date - AOS

11/29/2017: Biometrics Appointment

12/21/2017: EAD/AP Approval in 56 Days

12/18/2018: Interview Day | Approved on the Spot

12/22/2018: Received Green Card (10 Years)

N-400 Application (Orlando)

09/20/2021 - Early Filing Online (3 year -married to US Citizen)

09/20/2021 - Received NOA & status changed to "Case being actively reviewed" & Biometric Reuse

03/31/2022 - Interview in West Palm Beach Fl

- Recommended for Approval & Oath Ceremony will be scheduled notice (My application includes request for name change)

06/16/2022 - Judicial Naturalization Ceremony 

Timeline
42 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New life, from AOS Tourist, Student and Work, Progress and Updates~~

Mod hat off

You are no longer a visitor in Florida. You have set up residency, so technically you cannot use your Canadian DL. Now the not so fun part is you most likely will not be able to get your FL license until you get your EAD

I had to hand over my Canadian license it was that or they wouldn't issue me a AR one. It wasn't worth the fight after them taking forever to verify my status to begin with. 

Isn't there certain # of days tto exchange? I arrived last August, but due to change of circumstances,  I had to adjust status and filed last October 25. 

09/20/2021 - Received NOA & status changed to "Case being actively reviewed" & Biometric Reuse

- Recommended for Approval & Oath Ceremony will be scheduled notice (My application includes request for name change)

10 hours ago, shakeyy said:

Isn't there certain # of days tto exchange? I arrived last August, but due to change of circumstances,  I had to adjust status and filed last October 25. 

You became a resident 6 months after arrival and you have 30 days after that to change it over. If you arrived aug 2016 you're past the time... but without ead you cant prove legal presence quite often. 

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
8 hours ago, shakeyy said:

There is no point of doing exams and road test again if my originating country has reciprocal agreement with USA. 

I just needed to know the legal terms, because some countries has maximum # of days they can use the foreign license before they should acquire the state license. 

If you want to keep your Canadian Driver license, you must take the exams.  If you surrender your Canadian license, no exams needed.  You would need an eye test only.

Once you take residency in Florida, you are supposed to get a FL license within 30 days.

4 hours ago, gregcrs2 said:

If you want to keep your Canadian Driver license, you must take the exams.  If you surrender your Canadian license, no exams needed.  You would need an eye test only.

Once you take residency in Florida, you are supposed to get a FL license within 30 days.

30 days after becoming a resident. For thr OP it sounds like that happens after living there for 6 months.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
6 hours ago, gregcrs2 said:

Now it makes more sense. I am surrendering it. 

1 hour ago, NikLR said:

30 days after becoming a resident. For thr OP it sounds like that happens after living there for 6 months.  

Thank you!!!  it clears up.. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, NikLR said:

You became a resident 6 months after arrival and you have 30 days after that to change it over. If you arrived aug 2016 you're past the time... but without ead you cant prove legal presence quite often. 

Yah thats my confusion. I didnt have plans to adjust status because we were leaning towards moving to Alberta. But i was still out of job thus our decision to adjust last october. :( Do you think they would accept NOA?

Just now, shakeyy said:

Yah thats my confusion. I didnt have plans to adjust status because we were leaning towards moving to Alberta. But i was still out of job thus our decision to adjust last october. :( Do you think they would accept NOA?

You will have to look on the FL website to see what forms of ID they accept.  

did some research you probably could/should have done yourself - https://www.flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/what-to-bring/canadian/

Timeline
37 minutes ago, DrEllaNJ said:

did some research you probably could/should have done yourself - https://www.flhsmv.gov/driver-licenses-id-cards/what-to-bring/canadian/

This is for Canadian's in Florida on Visas, work or student. 

She needs to follow immigrants requirements. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
1 hour ago, DrEllaNJ said:

I saw that. But nothing on my particular case as an adjustment of status applicant. 

Timeline
38 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

This is for Canadian's in Florida on Visas, work or student. 

She needs to follow immigrants requirements. 

Thank you! You've been a big help! I guess i should wait for my EAD card since its sooner than living here for 6 months.

Thanks again!

Edited by shakeyy

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
21 hours ago, shakeyy said:

Hi guys!

Actually i just found my answer..

I think i don't need to do the road test and exams again.... I even have the option to retain my Canada Drivers License. 

I guess, I can't do it at the moment because I don't have proof of residency yet..

I guess my biggest concern is if there is maximum # of days I can keep driving and use my foreign license.

I found this http://fdhsmv.rapidinsites.com/answer/transfer-my-out-country-or-international-license-florida

Really appreciate your feedback!

Capture.JPG

This must vary by state, in Washington State we only needed proof of residency temp green card, proof of address and the Candian DL. No testing.

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

In most of the states, Canadian licenses are totally transferred, so you only need to go to the nearest office and do all the paperwork, they will keep your Canadian license so if you needed to use it in Canada you can go back to the office and switch it again.  You will need your Social Security card to do all this. your License will be also your state ID. When you become a resident you have 30 days  to change your license.  You should validate this information in your state

22 hours ago, shakeyy said:

I have a non GDL Drivers License issued by Alberta. I still use this license to drive and was able to add myself on my husbands insurance

I just received my NOA letters from the mail today, Is there such a rule that I have to switch out my Canadian license to US ASAP?

Is road test needed again?

I'm in Florida

Thank you

10 hours ago, inloveVEN said:

In most of the states, Canadian licenses are totally transferred, so you only need to go to the nearest office and do all the paperwork, they will keep your Canadian license so if you needed to use it in Canada you can go back to the office and switch it again.  You will need your Social Security card to do all this. your License will be also your state ID. When you become a resident you have 30 days  to change your license.  You should validate this information in your state

Most states require some form of a) legal presence (generally EAD or GC) and b) residency.

Not all states keep your old license either (I have my AB license... it's not even voided.) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.