shakeyy

Canada Drivers License switch to US?

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a non GDL Drivers License issued by Alberta. I still use this license to drive and was able to add myself on my husbands insurance

I just received my NOA letters from the mail today, Is there such a rule that I have to switch out my Canadian license to US ASAP?

Is road test needed again?

I'm in Florida

Thank you

10/26/2017: Priority Date - AOS

11/29/2017: Biometrics Appointment

12/21/2017: EAD/AP Approval in 56 Days

12/18/2018: Interview Day | Approved on the Spot

12/22/2018: Received Green Card (10 Years)

N-400 Application (Orlando)

09/20/2021 - Early Filing Online (3 year -married to US Citizen)

09/20/2021 - Received NOA & status changed to "Case being actively reviewed" & Biometric Reuse

03/31/2022 - Interview in West Palm Beach Fl

- Recommended for Approval & Oath Ceremony will be scheduled notice (My application includes request for name change)

06/16/2022 - Judicial Naturalization Ceremony 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

In addition to the below info - You MUST have a FL state issued ID document showing you reside there ( in the state of FL) when you are called in for an interview or when you apply for immigration benefits.

This can be a Photo ID card or a Drivers License - it seems like you would be better off obtaining a FL drivers license.

When must a driver get a Florida driver license?

You must get a Florida license within 30 days of becoming a resident. You are considered a resident of Florida if you:

1.  Enroll your children in public school, or
2.  Register to vote, or
3.  File for a homestead exemption, or
4.  Accept employment, or
5.  Reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months.

Current law requires customers to present proof of legal name, lawful presence, Social Security Number and two forms of residential address. If your name has ever been changed by marriage, divorce or court order, then you must present these documents. You will have to provide proof of any and all name changes. To find out more regarding these documents, please visit GatherGoGet.

• sending I130 05/16/2007
  • cheque is cashed on 06/11/2007
  • NOA1 in mail 06/13/2007 (who said 13 is badluck )
  • 07/30/2007 After no touches and no other signs we just got an email with the APPROVAL of I130....Thank God !....now what ?

• 08/07/2007 Case received by NVC and case number assigned :))

• 08/13/2007 DS3032 and AOS bill were generated

• 08/14/2007 Emailed choice of agent ...i'm so curious when they will accept it...hopefully soon

• 08/21/2007 DS3032 and AOS fee bill arive in mail

• 08/27/2007 paid AOS fee bill
  • 8/28/2007 DS3032 choice of agent accepted
  • 9/3/2007 IV fee bill generated

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
12 minutes ago, shakeyy said:

I have a non GDL Drivers License issued by Alberta. I still use this license to drive and was able to add myself on my husbands insurance

I just received my NOA letters from the mail today, Is there such a rule that I have to switch out my Canadian license to US ASAP?

Is road test needed again?

I'm in Florida

Thank you

Also - to answer your question - you will need to pass the written test and also the road test in order to obtain a first time US driver's license - I was living in PA when I had to do this in 2009. Once you have your first one, you will be able to renew as a regular DL.

• sending I130 05/16/2007
  • cheque is cashed on 06/11/2007
  • NOA1 in mail 06/13/2007 (who said 13 is badluck )
  • 07/30/2007 After no touches and no other signs we just got an email with the APPROVAL of I130....Thank God !....now what ?

• 08/07/2007 Case received by NVC and case number assigned :))

• 08/13/2007 DS3032 and AOS bill were generated

• 08/14/2007 Emailed choice of agent ...i'm so curious when they will accept it...hopefully soon

• 08/21/2007 DS3032 and AOS fee bill arive in mail

• 08/27/2007 paid AOS fee bill
  • 8/28/2007 DS3032 choice of agent accepted
  • 9/3/2007 IV fee bill generated

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Don't sweat it.  You will take a written test and a road test.   They will want to see your green card and some proof of residence such as a lease or home purchase.  Also you will need to have a FL registered vehicle for the road test.  Just went through this with my wife.

Timeline

Hi guys!

Actually i just found my answer..

I think i don't need to do the road test and exams again.... I even have the option to retain my Canada Drivers License. 

I guess, I can't do it at the moment because I don't have proof of residency yet..

I guess my biggest concern is if there is maximum # of days I can keep driving and use my foreign license.

I found this http://fdhsmv.rapidinsites.com/answer/transfer-my-out-country-or-international-license-florida

Really appreciate your feedback!

Capture.JPG

Edited by shakeyy

09/20/2021 - Received NOA & status changed to "Case being actively reviewed" & Biometric Reuse

- Recommended for Approval & Oath Ceremony will be scheduled notice (My application includes request for name change)

Timeline

Are you and your spouse purchasing a home in Florida?  If yes, to receive homestead exemption for taxes, you will need to show a Florida license or a Florida state ID for each person on the home title.  

Timeline
Just now, gregcrs2 said:

Are you and your spouse purchasing a home in Florida?  If yes, to receive homestead exemption for taxes, you will need to show a Florida license or a Florida state ID for each person on the home title.  

my husband already purchased a house 5 years ago :( I wonder if letters from USCIS would be ok. 

Timeline

If he purchased it prior to marriage then it is in his name only.  I don't know what the big deal is about getting a Florida license.  My wife does not speak or understand English as well as a Canadian so it would be much easier for you.  Just go through the temporary pain and get it over with.  My wife passed it on first try and it is good for 8 years even through she has only a 2 year green card.

Timeline
53 minutes ago, gregcrs2 said:

If he purchased it prior to marriage then it is in his name only.  I don't know what the big deal is about getting a Florida license.  My wife does not speak or understand English as well as a Canadian so it would be much easier for you.  Just go through the temporary pain and get it over with.  My wife passed it on first try and it is good for 8 years even through she has only a 2 year green card.

I don't understand which direction you are leading me.

If you are saying I need residency proof to exchange my license, then i don't have that right now since I'm just adjusting status. I should still be able to drive using my current license from Canada.

My MAIN concern was legal stuff if there is maximum days I can only use my current license before the mandatory exchange. That's all.

There is no point of doing exams and road test again if my originating country has reciprocal agreement with USA. 

I just needed to know the legal terms, because some countries has maximum # of days they can use the foreign license before they should acquire the state license. 

But anyway thanks for your time.

Edited by shakeyy

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Each state is different. 

Canadian driver license are usually able to trade in for us equivelant with only an eye test.

Check your states dmv requirements regarding identity and residency. 

I just got got my pa driver license today and had a valid G level Ontario license. I only needed to complete an eye exam to get my PA lic. 

Timeline

If you are legally allowed to obtain a US driver license you are required to transfer your license within usually 60 days.

if you are not eligible for a driver license in the US. Your Canadian driver license is fine to drive with as long as it’s valid. 

Hopefully that answers your question regarding “legality”

candybabe told you what the time limit is in her post. It's 30 days after you exceed 6 months of residence in Florida (the 'residency test'), whether you have evidence of this residency or not. After this time you technically should not be driving in Florida using your Canadian drivers license.

To pass the residency requirements, could you not just open a bank account and use it for 30 days? They'll send you a paper statement if you don't turn statements off. Then, you mentioned above that you have vehicle insurance already, and that would be number two, wouldn't it? Seems like you would have plenty of time to get the state-issued ID before the time of your interview.

Filed I-130 + I485 Priority Mail: 10/13/2017

Received by USCIS / Priority date: 10/17/2017

NOA1 Text/Emails: 10/25/2017

NOA1 Received by Mail: 10/30/2017

Biometrics Appt Notice by Mail: 11/3/2017

Biometrics Appt: 11/15/2017

Interview Appt Notice by Mail: 1/8/2018

I-485 Case Status Updated Online to 'Interview is Scheduled': 1/9/2018

Interview Appt: 2/7/2018

'Further Review' indicated after Interview: 2/7/2018

I-131 Case Status Updated Online to 'Case Was Approved': 2/8/2018

I-765 Case Status Updated Online to 'Card Was Mailed To Me': 2/8/2018

I-485 Case Status Updated Online to 'New Card Is Being Produced': 2/8/2018

I-797 (Approval) for I-131 + I-765 Received by Mail: 2/9/2018

EAD/AP Combo Card Received by Mail: 2/10/2018

I-485 Case Status Updated Online to 'Card Was Mailed To Me': 2/13/2018

US Permanent Resident Card Received by Mail: 2/16/2018

Filed I-751 Priority Mail: 11/5/2019

NOA1 Text/Emails: 11/13/2019

NOA1 Received by Mail: 11/19/2019

Green card (CR-6) expired: 2/8/2020

Received I-751 biometrics waiver by mail: 7/9/2020

Filed N-400 electronically: 11/10/2020

I-751 'Case was transferred' (to NBC11/17/2020

Received N-400 biometrics waiver by mail: 12/14/2020

I-751 I-797 approval notice received: 6/28/2021

Timeline
23 minutes ago, mr-mrs-hdc said:

If you are legally allowed to obtain a US driver license you are required to transfer your license within usually 60 days.

if you are not eligible for a driver license in the US. Your Canadian driver license is fine to drive with as long as it’s valid. 

Hopefully that answers your question regarding “legality”

Thank you! 

What did you show when you did the exchange? (I'd have to check with dmv here to be sure for Florida) 

Just curious if it was hard..

Thanks!

Timeline
25 minutes ago, shakeyy said:

Thank you! 

What did you show when you did the exchange? (I'd have to check with dmv here to be sure for Florida) 

Just curious if it was hard..

Thanks!

Hey, it was pretty easy for me.

What they needed from me:

1) SSN Card

2) Passport (or you can use birth certificate)

3) EAD Card

4) I-797 NOA for my I-485 (I brought all of my NOA's).

5) 2 pieces of mail to establish residency. (I only really needed one, because of my I-797 had my address on them).

6) I also showed them my Canadian driver license.

I went into the DMV and said I was a new resident and wanted to transfer my license. I filled out a form. Took the eye exam.

The hard part was waiting 70 minutes to finally get called up.... I had my new driver license within 20 minutes of handing over all the documents. They also never punched my Canadian driver license/ made me hand it over. So I guess I have two... I'll just keep the Ontario license as a souvenir now though. 

Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New life, from AOS Tourist, Student and Work, Progress and Updates~~

Mod hat off

You are no longer a visitor in Florida. You have set up residency, so technically you cannot use your Canadian DL. Now the not so fun part is you most likely will not be able to get your FL license until you get your EAD

I had to hand over my Canadian license it was that or they wouldn't issue me a AR one. It wasn't worth the fight after them taking forever to verify my status to begin with. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.