A&G2018

Fiancé visa question

9 posts in this topic

I am getting ready to file for a fiancé visa.  There is so much good info on here but I have a unique question.  

She is a citizen of Venezuela and lives in Mexico.  She does not have Mexican citizenship, so when I file I'm assuming everything will still need to go through the US embassy in Caracas.  Is that correct?  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

If right now she is living in Mexico (legally) then she would have her interview in Mexico. She will need though the police record from Venezuela (wherever she was living there) and if she has been for longer than 6 months in Mexico, she will need as well the one from Mexico. Just make sure to put her current address in Mexico if she plans to live there permanently. 

K1 Visa Process

Nov. 2016 - Applied for K1 Visa
Nov. 2016 - NOA1 

April 2017 - NOA2 (6 months!)

April 2017 - Arrived to NVC

April 2017 - Got the # from NVC

May 2017 - Case left NVC

May 2017 - Arrived to Embassy

May 2017 - Got Package 3 

May 2017- Got Package 4

May 2017 - Interview [APPROVED!]

June 2017 - Visa arrived home

June 2017 - Made it to the US. Finally with my future hubby!!

July 2017 - Married!

AOS Process

August 2017 - Started AOS

August 2017 - NOA1

Sept. 2017 - Biometrics

19th Dec. 2018 - Interview date  [16 months]

Dec. 2018 - GC processing

29th Dec. 2018 - GC arrived home! [10 days!]
Remove Conditions - Soon...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
9 hours ago, A&G2018 said:

I am getting ready to file for a fiancé visa.  There is so much good info on here but I have a unique question.  

She is a citizen of Venezuela and lives in Mexico.  She does not have Mexican citizenship, so when I file I'm assuming everything will still need to go through the US embassy in Caracas.  Is that correct?  

Honestly everything will be easier to process if her home country. 

8/14/17 --- AOS sent I-485, I-765, I-131

8/16/17 --- AOS Packet received Chicago USCIS Day 0

8/21/17  --- Received email & text notification 

8/23/17  --- Received hard copy of NOA  

9/01/17  --- Biometrics letter notice for I-485 & I-765 & I-131  

9/11/17  --- Biometrics Appointment Done

10/17/17 - Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview

11/30/2017 - EAD/AP Approved
12/01/2017 - Card in Production
12/05/2017 - Received Approval Notice in the Mail
12/06//2017 - Card Mailed (Priority Mail) to Me
12/07/2017 - Card Received 

1/19/18  --- Interview Date 2/21

2/21/18  ---  Approved on the Spot

• 1 hour after the interview received uscis mobile app alert
  • Status changed from "Interview is scheduled" to "New Card Is Being Produced

2/26/18  --- Received hard copy of NOA for the Green Card

2/26/18  --- USCIS Mobile Status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

2/28/18 --- Permanent Resident/Green Card received :jest:

Travelling with Combo Card Feedback 

AOS Interview - Review and Tips

Brazil Instructions After i-129F Approval    and  Emails Sent by NVC and Brazilian Embassy after the i-129F approval

B2 Visa Experience / Mother-in-law financially challenged for visa

Please register for informed delivery if it is applicable in your region - USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

NVC - (603)-334-0700

USCIS - 800-375-5283

" Have you tried the search tool? K1 isnt an easy process and a LOT of reading is required to avoid problems (RFEs) etc, if you dont like reading, be prepared to spend WAY more time and couple more $$$ with an lawyer " 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
10 hours ago, A&G2018 said:

She needs to be residing in Mexico legally. Not as a tourist, but as a legal resident of the country. Otherwise, she will have to go through Caracas.

Timeline
59 minutes ago, T_P said:

Honestly everything will be easier to process if her home country. 

Whatever makes you say that? A person can interview in a different country for as long as they have legal residence where they are.  Being in their country of origin will not make the process easier.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, C-ma'am said:

Whatever makes you say that? A person can interview in a different country for as long as they have legal residence where they are.  Being in their country of origin will not make the process easier.

Well.....from MY point of view, knowing where to gather all of your docs, police certificates, birth certificates etc....you are in your home country and you know where to go etc.....thats just my opinion.

Brazil Instructions After i-129F Approval    and  Emails Sent by NVC and Brazilian Embassy after the i-129F approval

Please register for informed delivery if it is applicable in your region - USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

NVC - (603)-334-0700

USCIS - 800-375-5283

" Have you tried the search tool? K1 isnt an easy process and a LOT of reading is required to avoid problems (RFEs) etc, if you dont like reading, be prepared to spend WAY more time and couple more $$$ with an lawyer " 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, T_P said:

Well.....from MY point of view, knowing where to gather all of your docs, police certificates, birth certificates etc....you are in your home country and you know where to go etc.....thats just my opinion.

While I can understand that it is your opinion and it may very well be the truth for some people, it's not the proper feedback to the question asked. You may want to be helpful by providing your opinion but we rely on facts in VJ.

Please, refrain from providing this kind of feedback as it's not constructive and may interfere with someone's process; which is already tedious by nature. In this particular case, advising someone from Venezuela, nonetheless,  that it may be easier to go back home when it's absolutely unnecessary is completely incorrect and could be considered reckless.

Edited by C-ma'am

Timeline

@C-ma'am alright. So the initial question doesn't have all info and so how do we really say for sure that he can go with no issues with his beneficiary living in Mexico? I mean, honestly dont get me wrong, I do not want to make this a long discussion. Truly understand your point and agree with some of it, and like I said, still dont see all info on the original question in order to provide him an 100% answer.

And although yes we want to provide valuable feedback and info to all VJs, and as much as we have lot of info from USCIS to users to gather info and proceed with their K1, even USCIS messes up with some things...so it is hard to provide 100% accurate to somethings.... But anyway Thanks for your insights and info.

Edited by T_P

NVC - (603)-334-0700

USCIS - 800-375-5283

1 hour ago, T_P said:

Pretty much all the document gathering can be done online. I had to get overseas police certificates and did it all online.

The interview and medical cannot be done online and traveling to Venezuela is not without risk at the moment. Maybe she doesn't have anywhere to stay when she gets there? Having the medical in Venezuela would mean taking her Mexican records with her and would certainly complicate matters. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.