azeemguy

Confusion about cover letters and barcode sheets in AOS, IV package

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello guys,

We are in the NVC stage and we are having hard time understanding how to put together the AOS and IV package as according to instructions it has be sent as ONE package.

A little background, my wife who is a US citizen living in USA has sponsored me under IR1 category and I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada.  We have already gotten the petition approved. Now we are in NVC stage and we have already made payments for AOS and IV and I have already submitted DS-260 online and DS-261 has been completed.

Now, I have the Document cover sheet/checklist that I received from NVC and also I have the barcode sheet for AOS as well as barcode sheet for IV. I am having a hard time figuring out in which order to assemble the package. Below is how I am thinking of putting together the package. Can somebody please have a look at it and provide feedback ?

Main Envelope:

The whole package will be sent to following address:

National Visa Center
Attn: DR
31 Rochester Ave. Suite 100
Portsmouth, NH  03801-2914 

Contents

1.     Document Coversheet/Checklist from NVC on top.

2.     A cover letter explaining what is in IV package and AOS package.

3.     IV Package/Envelope.

4.     AOS Package/Envelope.

IV Package/Envelope:

This package will contain principal applicant’s (myself) documents and have following address on it:

National Visa Center

Attn. CMR

31 Rochester Avenue Suite 100

Portsmouth, NH 03801-2914

Contents

1.     IV Barcode sheet on top

2.     Cover letter explaining documents enclosed in the IV package?

3.     Doc1

4.     Doc2

5.     Doc3

6.     And so on …

AOS Package/Envelope:

This package will contain petitioner’s (my wife) documents and have following address on it:

National Visa Center

Attn. CMR AOS

Contents

1.     AOS Barcode sheet on top

2.     Cover letter explaining documents enclosed in the AOS package?

3.     I-864 form.

4.     Doc1

5.     Doc2

6.     Doc3

7.     And so on ….

Edited by azeemguy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Slow down a second. From the description you give (approved I-130, living in Canada) it appears that you want to file for a CR-1/IR-1 immigrant visa. I don't think you need to adjust status, because you would need to be physically present in some other status in the US in order to adjust status.

1 minute ago, Suudsu said:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Slow down a second. From the description you give (approved I-130, living in Canada) it appears that you want to file for a CR-1/IR-1 immigrant visa. I don't think you need to adjust status, because you would need to be physically present in some other status in the US in order to adjust status.

My bad, in my questions I am referring AOS to as "Affidavit of Support" and not "Adjustment of Status" :)

Sorry for the confusion. 

5 hours ago, azeemguy said:

Hello guys,

We are in the NVC stage and we are having hard time understanding how to put together the AOS and IV package as according to instructions it has be sent as ONE package.

A little background, my wife who is a US citizen living in USA has sponsored me under IR1 category and I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada.  We have already gotten the petition approved. Now we are in NVC stage and we have already made payments for AOS and IV and I have already submitted DS-260 online and DS-261 has been completed.

Now, I have the Document cover sheet/checklist that I received from NVC and also I have the barcode sheet for AOS as well as barcode sheet for IV. I am having a hard time figuring out in which order to assemble the package. Below is how I am thinking of putting together the package. Can somebody please have a look at it and provide feedback ?

Main Envelope:

The whole package will be sent to following address:

National Visa Center
31 Rochester Ave. Suite 100
Portsmouth, NH  03801-2914 

Contents

1.     Document Coversheet/Checklist from NVC on top.

2.     A cover letter explaining what is in IV package and AOS package.

3.     IV Package/Envelope.

4.     AOS Package/Envelope.

IV Package/Envelope:

This package will contain principal applicant’s (myself) documents and have following address on it:

National Visa Center

Attn. CMR

Contents

1.     IV Barcode sheet on top

2.     Cover letter explaining documents enclosed in the IV package?

3.     Doc1

4.     Doc2

5.     Doc3

6.     And so on …

AOS Package/Envelope:

This package will contain petitioner’s (my wife) documents and have following address on it:

National Visa Center

Attn. CMR AOS

Contents

1.     AOS Barcode sheet on top

2.     Cover letter explaining documents enclosed in the AOS package?

3.     I-864 form.

4.     Doc1

5.     Doc2

6.     Doc3

7.     And so on ….

Hi I'm at the same stage you are, so you can't count my advice as advice from someone who has already been approved, but this is the order of my package:

Envelope addressed to:

U.S. Department of State

National Visa Center

31 Rochester Avenue, Suite 100
Portsmouth, NH 03801-2915

Cover Letter from me, providing Case number, background and listing package contents containing applicant's civil documents, AOS documents, and other supporting documents

Cover sheet from NVC

Civil documents - photocopies (passport, BC, marriage license, etc...)

AOS Cover letter from me + signed AOS + financial documents:

1.      Signed Affidavit of Support Form  with barcode

2.      Proof of US Status

3.      Proof of Domicile and supporting documents

a.      Including Tax Transcripts for three recent tax years (2014, 2015, 2016)

4.      Explanations of other unavailable/not applicable documents from document cover sheet

AOS - joint sponsor cover letter from me + signed AOS + financial documents

Other supporting documents (passport pics, info about children, family photos)

What are AOS and IV barcode sheets that you're putting on top of each envelope? Can you please explain this? I have no idea what you're referring to.

Thanks!

i-130 sent in December before fee change- around 12.22.16

1.3.17: Processing date for i-130.

9.27.17: Rec'd e-mail that i-130 approved! 

10.5.17: Case sent to dept. of state for processing.

10.11.17: NVC rec'd case.

10.20.17: Rec'd case number and invoice ID number from NVC over the phone.

10.21.17: Filled out choice of address and agent.

10.24.17: AOS bill opened and paid

10.31: IV bill opened and paid (called 10.26 to ask them to process AOS bill and DS-261)

11.1: Bank processed IV Bill

11.3 DS-260 form filled out online

11.8 NVC package sent!

11.13: NVC package arrives at NVC

11.14: Scan date!

11.16: Sent expedite request to NVC

11.22: Expedite approved by consulate

11.28: Rec'd e-mail from NVC that package was sent to consulate. CEAC tracker states: in transit. Case Complete at NVC
12.11 Rec'd e-mail from consulate that package arrived, together with Pkt 3 instructions.
1.10 Interview apt letter rec'd via e-mail! (scheduled medical appointment)
1.25 Interview in the morning. Was told approved on the spot and visa should arrive in the mail within ten days! Yay!
1.26 CEAC tracker says Visa Issued!
1.30 Visa arrived!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hey @azeemguy

I used a lawyer to help me during IR/CR1 process. I did it exactly as you did. My lawyer included additional cover letters for the AOS and IV packages which were just copy/pasted from the cover letter in the MAIN envelope. It's redundant, but the lawyer said that this was OKAY and makes sure if the two packets get separated everything is still okay. Just an FYI -- make sure you literally stamp your Department of State Case ID, Beneficiary Name, and Beneficiary ID on every scrap of paper (minus the barcode sheets). My lawyer basically printed up these small stickers that had these three pieces of information and she stuck it on everything. 

My application received a case complete within 9 weeks and a smooth approval over at the embassy. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
16 hours ago, Marley_09 said:

What are AOS and IV barcode sheets that you're putting on top of each envelope? Can you please explain this? I have no idea what you're referring to.

After you IV and AOS fees have been paid, there should be a link on the payment webpage to print a "Barcode cover sheet". It basically has a barcode on it and lists information about the beneficiary. There's a separate cover sheet for the AOS and IV packages. I'm not sure that these have to be sent, so long as you send the document cover sheet. But like the OP, when I sent my package I sent the document cover checklist sheet, as well as the IV and AOS barcode cover sheets.

2 hours ago, agripa said:

After you IV and AOS fees have been paid, there should be a link on the payment webpage to print a "Barcode cover sheet". It basically has a barcode on it and lists information about the beneficiary. There's a separate cover sheet for the AOS and IV packages. I'm not sure that these have to be sent, so long as you send the document cover sheet. But like the OP, when I sent my package I sent the document cover checklist sheet, as well as the IV and AOS barcode cover sheets.

Thanks man. That is exactly the two additional cover sheets I am talking about. 

For what it's worth, I called NVC today to clarify this with them. The rep advised that pretty much all barcode sheets are the same and they are all used to quickly identify your case. She advised that so long the Document coversheet/Checklist (barcoded) is attached on top, the other 2 coversheets are not really required. I will attach them to be safe. 

One more thing I asked what about adding 2 separate envelopes for AOS and IV and she advised against it. She advised to simply put all documents together in one bundle. I am thinking of doing that and use tabs to divide the sections. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/7/2017 at 9:11 PM, azeemguy said:

Thanks man. That is exactly the two additional cover sheets I am talking about. 

For what it's worth, I called NVC today to clarify this with them. The rep advised that pretty much all barcode sheets are the same and they are all used to quickly identify your case. She advised that so long the Document coversheet/Checklist (barcoded) is attached on top, the other 2 coversheets are not really required. I will attach them to be safe. 

One more thing I asked what about adding 2 separate envelopes for AOS and IV and she advised against it. She advised to simply put all documents together in one bundle. I am thinking of doing that and use tabs to divide the sections. 

just notice that your case was compiled with the NVC. Can you please explain how did you send your package? 

thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.