Jump to content

Affidavit of support (income not enough of wife

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I received checklist from NVC that aos income not enough and  get joint sponsor, my question is that can I show my bank balance or if my parents help me with some money as well if case officer said that Ur wife's aos is not enough can my bank balance will work or my parents bank balance I m in India ir1 category . I am applicant living in India. And they asked w2 from my wife too wts w2?  If my wife gives them or me w2 will the aos will be fine for them and if not then can I show them some money in my bank account to come up with the difference in aos ? Please help

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't know what a W2 is, it might be best for your wife to be on here asking the questions.  It is really difficult to explain the entire taxation/employment situation to someone who has never lived here.


Basically your wife should have either provided a tax transcript or her tax returns with W2s and 1099s.  She needs to read the directions that accompany the I-864.  

Is her income about 125% of the poverty line for her household size (including you)?


If not, her parents might need to be joint sponsors, if they are US citizens or LPRs.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

- Your income/assets would be of little value in this case. Your parent's assets/income would not be considered. 

- Your wife needs to submit tax transcripts and W-2s for the last three years. W-2 is a document that she receives each year from all of her employers stating her income for the year from that job. If your wife's income does not meet the minimum requirements for income, then your wife would need to add a joint sponsor. 

- Please read the forums/guides for detailed information about what information/documents are to be submitted when using joint sponsors. 

I hope this answers your questions. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2017 at 8:15 PM, mallafri76 said:

You can’t use your parents’ money. If you want to use assets, they must have been in your possession for at least a year and they have to be three times the poverty guidelines. 

Close to correct.  A year is not hard and fast and the assets must be three times the income shortfall.  So with a poverty guideline 125% being roughly $22,000, if income is 18,000 the shortfall would be $4,000 meaning the liquid assets should be well over $12,000.  Smaller amounts of liquid assets coming from abroad, tend to be discounted as much may be depleted almost immediately with travel expenses, etc.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.