OlgaP

Interview for CR1 visa

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

Few months ago I wrote here that me and my husband are still waiting for my interview date in Warsaw, Poland. Your help during this process was priceless to me so I'm happy to say  that NVC after months of delays finally scheuled it. We got interview letter on 13th of October and my interview is at 13th of November! How fast! I gathered all civil documents and completed medical examination but I would like to ask you what to expect during this interview? Does our 9 y.o. son have to go for the interview too? What questions they will ask me? How it will look like? And finally, are there any fees to pay at the embassy during interview. We payed everything USCIS and NVC told us to pay but are there any fees I must pay at the embassy on the day of my interview?

Thank you for your help! 

Edited by OlgaP

Congratulations! 

I have written a detailed summary of the questions asked at my interview on my timeline. 

Is your son immigrating too? Or is he a USC? If he's a USC he doesn't need to attend. If he's immigrating, he will have to attend (has he also had his medical?). The questions tend to be very basic unless you have some very unusual or difficult circumstances in your case. Many have reported that their interview lasted less than 10 minutes. Mine was probably around 20 minutes. It was probably the easiest part of the process - except walking through arrivals at the airport! 

Edited by JFH

1 minute ago, JFH said:

Congratulations! 

I have written a detailed summary of the questions asked at my interview on my timeline. 

Is your son immigrating too? Or is he a USC? If he's a USC he doesn't need to attend. If he's immigrating, he will have to attend (has he also had his medical?). The questions tend to be very basic unless you have some very unusual or difficult circumstances in your case. Many have reported that their interview lasted less than 10 minutes. Mine was probably around 20 minutes. It was probably the easiest part of the process - except walking through arrivals at the airport! 

My son is CR2 visa. He had his medical done. He got separate visa interview letter but I read somewhere kids under 14 y.o. doesn't have to attend. He's going with me anyways just in case they will need him there. You just wipped out all my worries! Really? 20 minutes? That is what I wanted to hear since this whole process was for us 2 years of missery... 

Thank you! 

Children under 14 don't have to attend interviews for non-immigrant visas (tourist visa, for example) but must attend for an immigrant visa. 

For children they they usually just ask "are you excited about going to live in America?" and such questions to name sure they are aware that they will be moving far away. The questions will be age-appropriate in line with how much of the situation he should understand. 

Relax...that would be my biggest advice about the interview. If you've made it this far, it's pretty much a done deal. 

5 minutes ago, JFH said:

Children under 14 don't have to attend interviews for non-immigrant visas (tourist visa, for example) but must attend for an immigrant visa. 

For children they they usually just ask "are you excited about going to live in America?" and such questions to name sure they are aware that they will be moving far away. The questions will be age-appropriate in line with how much of the situation he should understand. 

Relax...that would be my biggest advice about the interview. If you've made it this far, it's pretty much a done deal. 

Did you had to pay any fees at the embassy during the interview?

No, all fees were paid to NVC for the visa so nothing to pay at the embassy.

You do have to pay the $220 pp green card fee after the visa has been issued. I paid mine the day I got my passport back. But you can pay this after you arrive here if you wish. They won't start making your plastic green card until you have paid. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.