olah007

Help! my I 485 has been pending for 2yrs 5 months

13 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

i got married in jan 2015 in Indiana, my hubby , who is a US citizen filed for me in june of 2015. they set an interview for aug 2015. a few days to our interview, it was cancelled, and because we didn't check the mail, we went to uscis and we were told my background check is not out and that they will reschedule us soon as its out.

we waited for 3months and when we heard nothing, we started contacting USICS. for the longest time, they kept saying that it is  due to workload not related to my case, not that i had issues. then in sept 2016, they said i was on the interview queue that i should be expecting a mail in 90 days. when we didn't hear from them, we called and called, we also requested info pass several times.

Eventually, they lady at the indianapolis downtown USCIS, told me that my file was sent to Los Angelis USCIS, instead of Indianapolis that she will request expedite request on my case. she also added that my background check has been out and that is should have been scheduled a long time ago. she told me that it will about 60 days or so.

A week later, i got a mail from the LA USCIS that they are still reviewing my case that they cant give me timeframe from when it will be completed. At this time, my case was about 2yrs. when i went back downtown again, the lady told me she has requested my case be transferred 2times already and she then told me that its my background again. i was surprised because she told me the last time that my background was out already.

Anyway, when i hit a dead end again, the LA USCIS sent me another mail saying they are still reviewing. i then reached out to the senate representative in my district and when they enquired for me, they sent me the reply USCIS sent to them and its the same thing: background check. another dead end.

i have called and called since then. Nothing! they at some point started telling me that there is nothing ANYBODY can do, that all i have to do is wait and wait.its been 2yrs and 5 months now. Even lawyers i contacted said they have not worked on cases like mine before, so they are not sure how to handle it.
please i need advice on what to do. all they do is renew my EAD.  i was a student b4 i got married.

thank you  

Edited by olah007
typo error

Contact your congressman or senator's immigration liaison- complete the release of information forms and do a walk in to their local office. They have direct line of communication with USCIS (email, phone) and can sort this out. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

1 minute ago, milimelo said:

Contact your congressman or senator's immigration liaison- complete the release of information forms and do a walk in to their local office. They have direct line of communication with USCIS (email, phone) and can sort this out. 

Thank you. i have done that already and they sent me a copy of USCIS reply to them. Usic is still saying background check. I dont get at all.

When we were in NWI Congressman Visclosky's immigration aide helped us get my GC that USCIS never produced. This was in 2007. She later stayed on top after I sent my removal of conditions paperwork though we didn't have any issues with that. 

I'd say be the squeaky wheel - so senator's office said it's pending background checks. Follow up weekly on the status so they can follow up weekly for you. 

Still do the ombudsman's assistance request. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

14 minutes ago, milimelo said:

When we were in NWI Congressman Visclosky's immigration aide helped us get my GC that USCIS never produced. This was in 2007. She later stayed on top after I sent my removal of conditions paperwork though we didn't have any issues with that. 

I'd say be the squeaky wheel - so senator's office said it's pending background checks. Follow up weekly on the status so they can follow up weekly for you. 

Still do the ombudsman's assistance request. 

ohk.. thank you! will e mail them right now. i just submitted the ombudsman's request a few mins ago. i hope all goes well!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Like others day, contact your congressman.

My case was pending for 16 months and all USCIS says was my case was pending security checks.

I contacted my congressman and he contacted UCSIC straight away and they finally started moving my case.

In my case, after 16 months of waiting, they decided to ask for RFE. I am very very angry about

USCIS's services. They obviously left my file somewhere on the shelf or something for too long and noone cared

until congressman was involved.

:idea: KC

I am going to assume you are adjusting from an F1

~~moved to AOS from work, student, and tourist visa progress reports from US citizenship discussion~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

8 hours ago, NikLR said:

What visa are you adjusting status from?

:time:

i will take time to fill my timeline tonight. 

i came in as a visitor, although it was not my first time in US. I came in in 2013 and i filed for AOS to F1 (STUDENT) thru my college in early Oct. By Dec 15, it was approved.

I got married in Jan and my husband filed I485 for me..so yes, my status as at when I filed for i485 was F1

Edited by olah007
added info

6 hours ago, KC & SC said:

Like others day, contact your congressman.

My case was pending for 16 months and all USCIS says was my case was pending security checks.

I contacted my congressman and he contacted UCSIC straight away and they finally started moving my case.

In my case, after 16 months of waiting, they decided to ask for RFE. I am very very angry about

USCIS's services. They obviously left my file somewhere on the shelf or something for too long and noone cared

until congressman was involved.

I contacted the congressman but that made no difference because it was the same reply USCIS gave them: background check is pending! i also have this feeling deep in my heart that maybe my case is just sitting somewhere or it has been misplaced because they are not asking for no additional info or anything! I mean, what kind of background check can they be doing for 2 yrs and 5 months..and still counting! i even submitted ALL pages of my last 2 passports so they can see where i have been and my timeline of travel in general..maybe i did a little too much! :rolleyes:

• 9 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.