SierraTenTango

Joint sponsor and other questions. Please help.

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Hello,

me and my husband noticed that he is a couple of bucks short to meet the poverty guideline so we are gonna take his father in law as a joint sponsor.  Here I have two first questions I need the answer for as soon as possible. 

Questions:

1. does the father in law have to live in the same household as my husband to be able to sponsor me?

2. My father and mother in law wrote the affidavits of support (letters) for USCIS to help our case, should we still include them since they will now be my sponsors too?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Answers:

1. No
  2. Include what?  The letters?  If the petition has not yet been filed, don't bother with those letters, they carry little to zero weight in the overall evaluation of a file.  If the petition has already been submitted and those letters are with it, then it's not relevant to your father in-law's qualifications as a joint sponsor.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Please clarify.  Your husband's father in law is your father.  Do you mean your husband's FATHER will be a Joint Sponsor?  If his parents are married filing joint tax returns, his father provides an I-864 and father's wife provides I-864a.  Your husband still provides I-864 whether he qualifies or not.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Hello! Here's another couple of questions because I have read so many stuff over past few weeks I am now completely lost...

Once again we are going to file for IR-1 Visa since we have been married less than 2 years.

1. Where should we send the papers? As far as we understood the address is:   USCIS Arizona 1820 E. Skyharbor Circle Phoenix, AZ  85034 Is that correct? But... My husband is in Washington (state) as for now but he might be moving to Florida in the next couple of months. Should we still send the paperwork to Arizona or should we send it to Chicago office?

2. What exactly should we send in this first package? Only the I-130, I-130a and G-1145 or all the documents from the I-130 package checklist on this page:  http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1  Because on one page it says that only after approval of I-130 the NVC is gonna ask for those documents and on the other site it says we should send everything in one package.

3. When and how do I do that 525$ payment? Do I send the check with the package? 

4. As for bona fide proofs:

- my flight tickets from me visiting two times (spend there 9 months in total on travel visa)

- marriage license (the big wedding we plan to do in Florida)

- photographs 

- flight tickets from the trip to Florida to meet my in-laws. We took my husband's kids with us there.

- tons of Skype calls (12H + we prefer to call than write and barely hang up even if one falls asleep)

- some facebook screenshots (we are not big on Facebook because of his crazy ex who's the mother of the children. Once she found out we got married she filed for a restraining order for her and the kids accusing my husband of abuse etc...)

- Skype conversations - we prefer to call instead and talk

As for the proof of bona fide could we write a letter and attach it to the documents which would include our plans for the future (he plans to visit me once he moves to meet my family in person) and what had happened with his kids, that we are fighting the ex in court atm thus why he can't move to Florida yet. Also why he couldn't put me to the bank account or on the car lease (I don't have SSN obviously...)

5. I haven't changed my name to my new one because I didn't have anything in USA to change it on and we thought we will gonna file the documents ASAP but it didn't happen... If I'll start with changing my last name now in my country it's gonna take at least extra month or even two with the documents.

- Should I just wait and change it? Would it look better or they won't care much what last name I have?

- If I'll change my name can I still go with the CR-1 process on my old passport with my old last name or should I change it too? After all, they would give me CR-1 visa on my new name. I have my travel visa in my current passport and if I would want to visit my husband next year I won't have it in my new passport. 

Warm request.

Please please I beg of you be patient with me.  I know I might be asking something that seems easy to find for you but I really am very stressed (because of the fight in court for the kids which my husband is going through alone and I am a key witness here after all..) and completely confused with the procedures on CR-1 process.

So once again, please, help me with answers to these question with the best of your ability and knowledge. I will thank personally everyone.

Edited by SierraTenTango

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
22 hours ago, SierraTenTango said:

Hello! Here's another couple of questions because I have read so many stuff over past few weeks I am now completely lost...

Once again we are going to file for IR-1 Visa since we have been married less than 2 years.

1. Where should we send the papers? As far as we understood the address is:   USCIS Arizona 1820 E. Skyharbor Circle Phoenix, AZ  85034 Is that correct? But... My husband is in Washington (state) as for now but he might be moving to Florida in the next couple of months. Should we still send the paperwork to Arizona or should we send it to Chicago office?

2. What exactly should we send in this first package? Only the I-130, I-130a and G-1145 or all the documents from the I-130 package checklist on this page:  http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1  Because on one page it says that only after approval of I-130 the NVC is gonna ask for those documents and on the other site it says we should send everything in one package.

3. When and how do I do that 525$ payment? Do I send the check with the package? 

4. As for bona fide proofs:

- my flight tickets from me visiting two times (spend there 9 months in total on travel visa)

- marriage license (the big wedding we plan to do in Florida)

- photographs 

- flight tickets from the trip to Florida to meet my in-laws. We took my husband's kids with us there.

- tons of Skype calls (12H + we prefer to call than write and barely hang up even if one falls asleep)

- some facebook screenshots (we are not big on Facebook because of his crazy ex who's the mother of the children. Once she found out we got married she filed for a restraining order for her and the kids accusing my husband of abuse etc...)

- Skype conversations - we prefer to call instead and talk

As for the proof of bona fide could we write a letter and attach it to the documents which would include our plans for the future (he plans to visit me once he moves to meet my family in person) and what had happened with his kids, that we are fighting the ex in court atm thus why he can't move to Florida yet. Also why he couldn't put me to the bank account or on the car lease (I don't have SSN obviously...)

5. I haven't changed my name to my new one because I didn't have anything in USA to change it on and we thought we will gonna file the documents ASAP but it didn't happen... If I'll start with changing my last name now in my country it's gonna take at least extra month or even two with the documents.

- Should I just wait and change it? Would it look better or they won't care much what last name I have?

- If I'll change my name can I still go with the CR-1 process on my old passport with my old last name or should I change it too? After all, they would give me CR-1 visa on my new name. I have my travel visa in my current passport and if I would want to visit my husband next year I won't have it in my new passport. 

Warm request.

Please please I beg of you be patient with me.  I know I might be asking something that seems easy to find for you but I really am very stressed (because of the fight in court for the kids which my husband is going through alone and I am a key witness here after all..) and completely confused with the procedures on CR-1 process.

So once again, please, help me with answers to these question with the best of your ability and knowledge. I will thank personally everyone.

Answers:

1. Send it to the address that is applicable on the date the form is signed and sealed.
  2. Refer to the instructions for the I-130, you will find them here:  https://www.uscis.gov/i-130
  3. See my answer for #2.
  4. You are sending evidence, not proof; comments on each:
    1. Use boarding passes if you have them, that is evidence of actual travel, not the tickets.
    2. Worthless, what you will actually need is the Marriage Certificate.
    3. quality over quantity
    4. see my first bullet point
    5. Skype records in any form (even if you call instead of write), as long as they are clear are fine.
    6. Such a letter is not necessary.
  5. Changing your name is your own personal choice that does not affect the process in any way, shape, or form.  However, if you want to have your married name on your Green Card, update your passport ASAP since the visa will be issued in the passport name and your green card will be issued in the name on the visa.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline
On 27.10.2017 at 4:58 PM, Ryan H said:

Answers:

1. Send it to the address that is applicable on the date the form is signed and sealed.
  2. Refer to the instructions for the I-130, you will find them here:  https://www.uscis.gov/i-130
  3. See my answer for #2.
  4. You are sending evidence, not proof; comments on each:
    1. Use boarding passes if you have them, that is evidence of actual travel, not the tickets.
    2. Worthless, what you will actually need is the Marriage Certificate.
    3. quality over quantity
    4. see my first bullet point
    5. Skype records in any form (even if you call instead of write), as long as they are clear are fine.
    6. Such a letter is not necessary.
  5. Changing your name is your own personal choice that does not affect the process in any way, shape, or form.  However, if you want to have your married name on your Green Card, update your passport ASAP since the visa will be issued in the passport name and your green card will be issued in the name on the visa.

Thank you very much for help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.