followed american naming convention

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Emmz said:

hi just want to ask if i will gonna have a problem

if i followed american naming convention after marriage here in california

Depends.   

Do your plan to complete Report of Marriage?  Do you want your Philippine passport in your married name?  Do you plan to ever buy/own land in your married name in the Philippines?   

Answer yes to any of those and that is the answer to your question as well.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Depends.   

Do your plan to complete Report of Marriage?  Do you want your Philippine passport in your married name?  Do you plan to ever buy/own land in your married name in the Philippines?   

thanks hank, isnt i cant still change my middle name during naturalization without paying the court to change my name in philipine convention

Timeline
7 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Depends.   

@Hank_ any advice in my situation? coz my marriage cert is already in american naming convention i retain my middle name and change only the last name, im in the process of filing AOS do u think wen is the best to change my name in court? after i receive green card or before i fill the AOS? coz my plan was put my name in filipino naming convention in AOS forms but they might notice it in my marriage cert 

Timeline

You can change your name during Naturalization that is true.    

Most states do not allow for the middle name to be changed when getting marriage.   

Completing AOS in the traditional Philippine naming format is a possibility.   My wife did that, then made it official during naturalization ;) 

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

You can change your name during Naturalization that is true.    

Most states do not allow for the middle name to be changed when getting marriage.   

Completing AOS in the traditional Philippine naming format is a possibility.   My wife did that, then made it official during naturalization ;) 

really? do u think they will not give me RFE if i fill out my name in the form in AOS in filipino naming coz the marriage cert was in american naming convention. coz im from california

Edited by Emmz

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Emmz said:

really? do u think they will not give me RFE if i fill out my name in the form in AOS in filipino naming coz the marriage cert was in american naming convention. coz im from california

I know of some that USCIS would not follow the name as shown on the I-485 and kept the middle name as shown on the original visa, but no RFE for that.  Like said naturalization allows you to legally change your name.

You are stressing too much about this.

You can still complete ROM using traditional naming format on the form.  The form you complete for ROM .. THAT is what will show up at PSA when you request a copy of your marriage certificate later.  Not a copy of your marriage certificate.   And THAT will allow you to get your Philippine passport in your traditional married name. ;)  

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
2 hours ago, Hank_ said:

I know of some that USCIS would not follow the name as shown on the I-485 and kept the middle name as shown on the original visa, but no RFE for that.  Like said naturalization allows you to legally change your name.

You are stressing too much about this.

You can still complete ROM using traditional naming format on the form.  The form you complete for ROM .. THAT is what will show up at PSA when you request a copy of your marriage certificate later.  Not a copy of your marriage certificate.   And THAT will allow you to get your Philippine passport in your traditional married name. ;)  

thanks so much i was just scared coz they might think im different person thanks for the help 

11 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Depends.   

Why do you say this my asawa followed the American naming and we had no problem doing ROM. 

Timeline
8 hours ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Why do you say this my asawa followed the American naming and we had no problem doing ROM. 

There are always exceptions, those that slide by without issue.   I have heard of many more where they "got called" on it.  Sort of like with the embassy when an original document is required and they slide by with a copy.

Which information would you give?   

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.