121 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Annie, I've been reading your thread here & thought maybe this might help you in some way for identifying the reason for the denial -> https://www.google.com/search?q=cambodia+k1+visa+denial+reason+site:www.visajourney.com

Specifically, the search revealed this discussion thread -> link

You'll see this partway down in it:

On 7/17/2012 at 7:05 PM, Csdvii said:

2. CO says the person who introduced us is too involved,

"This is a killer at every consulate in southeast Asia. An immigration lawyer in Saigon who is fairly well known on this forum refers to this scenario as "Uncle Boom Boom". The uncle introduces an American friend to his niece for the primary purpose of helping her to immigrate to the US."

16 minutes ago, GarryAndMarie said:

Hi Annie, I've been reading your thread here & thought maybe this might help you in some way for identifying the reason for the denial -> https://www.google.com/search?q=cambodia+k1+visa+denial+reason+site:www.visajourney.com

"This is a killer at every consulate in southeast Asia. An immigration lawyer in Saigon who is fairly well known on this forum refers to this scenario as "Uncle Boom Boom". The uncle introduces an American friend to his niece for the primary purpose of helping her to immigrate to the US."

Wow.  Excellent info.  That sounds like a very realistic reason for the OP’s denial.  There is so much amazing information here!

The Grandmother/Aunt scenerio does sound like it could be an immigration setup.  That can be easily handled with the correct front loading of a new CR petition.  It may be tough for another K-1, though.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
1 minute ago, John & Rose said:

The Grandmother/Aunt scenerio does sound like it could be an immigration setup.  That can be easily handled with the correct front loading of a new CR petition.  It may be tough for another K-1, though.

From further reading, it seems her fiance may have been accused of "material misrepresentation" which if so, really would be best addressed by an appeal and specific challenge - because material misrepresentation could result in a lifetime ban for him. If I were in her shoes, it would suck but time to lawyer up and have the attorney do a full inquiry to uncover the specific reason for denial, rather than risk another disappointment.

25 minutes ago, GarryAndMarie said:

From further reading, it seems her fiance may have been accused of "material misrepresentation" which if so, really would be best addressed by an appeal and specific challenge - because material misrepresentation could result in a lifetime ban for him. If I were in her shoes, it would suck but time to lawyer up and have the attorney do a full inquiry to uncover the specific reason for denial, rather than risk another disappointment.

They would have to label that way and they didnt.  

I agree to a FOIA but not the doom and gloom others have posted in this thread.  Many have posted this exact same denial for the k1 on here and successfully done a CR1 next trip without a lawyer. 

However the OP has had lots of advice they should take into serious consideration and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
1 hour ago, NikLR said:

They would have to label that way and they didnt.  

I agree to a FOIA but not the doom and gloom others have posted in this thread.  Many have posted this exact same denial for the k1 on here and successfully done a CR1 next trip without a lawyer. 

However the OP has had lots of advice they should take into serious consideration and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.

I don't mean to sound crass or mean, but: Did you perhaps miss the part in OP's letter that clearly stated their petition was being returned for suspicion of fraud or material misrepresentation?

11 minutes ago, GarryAndMarie said:

I don't mean to sound crass or mean, but: Did you perhaps miss the part in OP's letter that clearly stated their petition was being returned for suspicion of fraud or material misrepresentation?

I believe that is in all K-1 refusals due to not having a bona fide relationship. The embassy refuses the visa and sends the I-129F back to USCIS (through NVC) with a P6C (fraud) marker. USCIS does not review returned I-129Fs mostly for this purpose...to avoid an actual fraud finding on every returned I-129F petition. Instead, they let it sit and expire.

So it's not actually a material misrepresentation ban from what I read. It's serious, and the past refusal will take effort to overcome and show a bona fide relationship (or marriage assuming they marry and do a CR-1 next time). It could become a material misrepresentation finding. That's why finding out exactly what happened and whatever else they can about the case via a FOIA request is necessary.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

11 minutes ago, GarryAndMarie said:

Did you miss the part where it said 221g and not the actual 212 material missrep code? Because I have read several letters states just like that on here in the last 5 years and the couple has successfully done a CR1 even from countries such as Nigeria and Pakistan. 

It's not impossible to overcome by any means.  I will not argue with you.  I wish the OP the best.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Annie, please be aware of the distinction between mere *suspicion* of fraud or misrepresentation, and bona fide evidence of fraud or misrepresentation. I think that's what some folks here might have confusion or just lack of knowledge about. Suspicion is serious too, and shouldn't be glossed over. I too wish you the best of luck in your endeavor to find out what's happened.

Here's one more thing that may help you in your search for answers:

"The Office of Visa Services (Visa Office) within the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs issues advisory opinions in nonimmigrant and immigrant visa cases adjudicated at U.S. consulates.  Advocates and applicants may send email inquiries to LegalNet@state.gov to request case-specific responses regarding the interpretation or application of immigration law in visa cases."

Link with instructions and guidance on how to make an inquiry & what the Office of Visa Services can or can't do for you -> link

Also -> link

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

@

On 10/19/2017 at 9:37 PM, Nitas_man said:

I would have had a caseworker, a signed waiver, and an email loop open between you, the congressional office, and the embassy before the CO woke up and had morning coffee.  Do it now.

On 10/19/2017 at 10:03 PM, Ebunoluwa said:

Case worker = senator's immigration aide.

Signed waiver = privacy release so the senator's office can inquire on your behalf (see senator's web site), fill out, sign, send or fax.
Sometimes it is hard like pulling teeth to get the reason out of the embassy.
They may say they can not say because it will violate the beneficiary's privacy and sometimes they will inform the senator's liaison.

On 10/19/2017 at 11:35 PM, caliliving said:

By the looks of your picture, you guys seem like a 'normal' couple. you are both the same ethnicity, you both speak the same language and you are the same ages.  you guys seem like you 'match' well together! honestly, i cant imagine their being red flags.  

i really think you are wasting alot of time worrying about this K1 denial,. you should fly there tomorrow and get married! then apply for CR1.  then see what happens and go from there.  i know the wait will suck, but this seems to be the easiest/safest and best approach.  then you will figure out is it just they dont believe your marriage is real or is it an actual misrep ban.  then you can move forward from there! because either way, your K1 is DEAD their is no way to get that back or appeal it. so either you file a new K1 or you file a CR1! Everyone here will agree, filing another K1 is a waste of time. 

On 10/20/2017 at 8:29 AM, NikLR said:

Yes you can file a spousal visa. 

The difference between a fiance and spousal visa denial is what happens after the denial.  A spousal visa would be sent back to the USCIS and they would send you a NOIR (notice of intent to revoke) and you would submit more evidence for specific things.  Then it would be sent back to embassy for another interview and they cannot deny for the same reason as before.  Basically until the USCIS denies the I-130 you can keep interviewing or sit in AP.  With a K1, the I-129F has a self life.  So even if it's sent back to the USCIS, the petition will expire and you have to start over.  Often there will be no explanation of the denial other than the main letter.  While I admit I dont spend a great deal of time in the K1 forum section, I do not think it's common for an embassy to extrapolate on their decisions when it is a K1 visa.  

There are some embassies and consulates where the petitioner needs to be there regardless of what the official stance is.  There are some embassies where even though the petitioner isnt allowed into the embassy for the interview, but just being there is a huge plus and can make the difference between an approval and denial.  

I do not feel that another k1 would be beneficial for you.   While you're trying to get answers you probably should be planning a wedding and moving in that direction.  On a personal note that is a generalization of course,  I have noticed many men do quite poorly when they arrive on a K1.  Anyone who is used to working and sustaining themselves do really.  The inability to work for about 4 months strains a new marriage incredibly so a cr1 may be a better choice. 

On 10/19/2017 at 6:56 PM, missileman said:

and how does it appear if the petitioner jumps in and answers questions directed to the beneficiary? :o

On 10/19/2017 at 7:55 PM, NikLR said:

Op.. this was not a misrep denial. 212(a)(6)(C)(i) is a misrep denial but a 221g is just a denial and they dont believe the relationship is real.  Go get married and file again with a CR1.  Try to be there for the interview this time. Best of luck.  

On 10/20/2017 at 1:57 PM, GarryAndMarie said:

On 10/20/2017 at 2:17 PM, John & Rose said:

Wow.  Excellent info.  That sounds like a very realistic reason for the OP’s denial.  There is so much amazing information here!

On 10/20/2017 at 2:21 PM, GarryAndMarie said:

Sorry didn't know how to just @ everyone... but they responded. I guess it's not as bad as everyone thought?

Screenshot_20171024-054652.png

It's what I thought.  They didnt believe your relationship is real.  

At least you can marry and move forward should you choose.  However you may want to talk to your fiance about the denial reason before that.  

Just go there and get married and file a spousal visa. I’m sorry this happened. There was something he said that made the CO believe it was not a real relationship. You will be fine. You can file for another visa. 

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Marry and file a CR1 and that will satisfy their findings that you have no intention to get married. 

Frontload the petition with lots of relationship evidence and you will be fine. Best wishes !

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

Timeline
3 hours ago, NikLR said:

It's what I thought.  They didnt believe your relationship is real.  

At least you can marry and move forward should you choose.  However you may want to talk to your fiance about the denial reason before that.  

3 hours ago, John & Rose said:

Just go there and get married and file a spousal visa. I’m sorry this happened. There was something he said that made the CO believe it was not a real relationship. You will be fine. You can file for another visa. 

7 minutes ago, Ebunoluwa said:

Marry and file a CR1 and that will satisfy their findings that you have no intention to get married. 

Frontload the petition with lots of relationship evidence and you will be fine. Best wishes !

That's the route we're most likely going to take. Thank you guys!!

48 minutes ago, Annie0913 said:

That's the route we're most likely going to take. Thank you guys!!

Good luck to you!  Never give up on love!  Please let us know how its going when you can!

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
6 hours ago, John & Rose said:

Good luck to you!  Never give up on love!  Please let us know how its going when you can!

Yep I will 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.