dvensel1

A Complete guide of what to do for a K1 visa

38 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Process for a K1 Visa
This is a pretty complete picture of what you need to do and to expect in this process.  Nothing here guarantees that something may or may not have changed recently and you need to check this out for yourself.  It serves only as a guide so you know what to expect.  I suggest you peruse sites like the:
~USCIS site:  https://www.uscis.gov/
~NVC site: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/nvc.html
~St. Lukes clinic: http://www.slec.ph/#
~US embassy in Manila:  https://ph.usembassy.gov/
~Consular Agency in Cebu City:  https://www.embassypages.com/missions/embassy19596/
~CFO Site:  http://www.cfo.gov.ph/
~Visa Journey:  http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm
~Bureau of Immigration - Philippines: http://www.immigration.gov.ph/
~NBI:  http://www.techyhow.com/national-bureau-of-invesigation-clearance-nbi-application-and-registration-online/

~YOU WILL NEED A GOOD COMPUTER WITH GOOD INTERNET ACCESS AND A PRINTER WITH INK!  Invest in a pocket WIFI if you need to with enough load.  Money well spent for this.

Definitions:  Alien: The person in the foreign country desiring to come here for  marriage.   
        Petitioner: The person in the USA who desires to bring the alien here for marriage.

1)  Secure all forms required:
    A)  I-129F form for a K1 Fiancé Visa.
    Note:  This form will have many places for information that you will not have to fill in.  Just fill in the things that pertain to your situation.  Example:  The USA does not have provinces, so you would not put anything in that box.  You would put in a state for the appropriate box however.
    B)  G-325 Bio Information form for both people.
    C)  g-1145 Electronic Notification Form (which allows them to use email to you for communications).  You will need a good working email address for this.
    D)  I-864 form - Affidavit of Support.  This is the form petitioner must fill out to prove he can support you (alien) and meets all the income requirements.
    E)  Passport size pictures of alien (Beth).  I suggest getting about 12 of them.    

F)  Passport size pictures of petitioner (David).  I suggest 8 of them.
    ~NOTE for E & F above:  Clearly write the name of the person on the back of each picture.
    G)  Proof of having met within 2 years of the application.
        1) Have plenty of pictures, especially with other people and in known places in your home area (Iloilo in this case).  Family pictures are good where it shows petitioner with alien’s family.
        2)  Receipts for remittances to Beth when she receives money from petitioner.
        3)  Copies of boarding passes when petitioner flew there.
    H)  Copies of alien’s (Beth’s) passport - especially the BIO page where her picture is. Make sure they are clear.  Scan them in color so you can print them out if you need to.  DO NOT take cell phone picture of this.  You need to actually scan them into your computer so you can print them out clearly.
    I) Copies of petitioner’s passport BIOs page to prove he’s a citizen of the USA.
    J)  If it’s possible, screen shots or your conversations on the internet.

Things that will be required:
    A)  Petitioner’s divorce decree if applicable.  A copy is fine but the actual decree is better.        
    B)  Certified True Copy of alien husband’s death certificate if applicable (NSO can provide this for you).  (NOTE:.  I would advise you get a copy of their marriage certificate or contract too.)
    C)  Alien’s birth certificate.  (NSO certified true copy)  You will need to tell them what it’s for because of the different color paper they will use.  Make sure you tell them it’s for a visa.
    D)  Certified copy of petitioner birth certificate.
    E)  Letter of intent from petitioner for his intent to marry immigrant.
    F)  Letter of intent from alien for her intent to marry petitioner.
    G)  A cover letter indicating the contents of the immigration package being sent.
    H)  NSO certificates for any other names the alien has used, such as her married name prior to her husband’s death.  VERY IMPORTANT.
    I)  Information regarding her deceased husband, such as birth date, death date.
    J)  Dates and locations of alien first marriage.  Both marriage date and date it ended as well as the location of each.
    K)  Petitioner’s proof of employment and income.  You will need bank  accounts (both savings and checking), pay stubs, etc. to prove petitioner has enough income for this.  Also, petitioner needs to prove he is employed and for how long and in what position as well as how much he makes.  The record goes back for 10 years employment.  THIS WILL BE  CHECKED OUT BY THE AUTHORITIES to verify it all.  If Homeland Security and USCIS deem his income as insufficient, they will not grant a visa.  
He will need bank statements, past pay stubs to back it up,  IRS income tax returns and W2’s for the past 3 years too.  These can be gotten on line on the IRS web site. They provide a handy way of getting and printing these documents.
    K)  NBI certificates for alien in all names she has ever used (such as married name and maiden name - even if she has taken back her maiden name)

FINANCIAL REQUIREMENTS YOU WILL NEED FOR THIS:
1)  It will cost about $535 USD for the actual interview and filing fee to USCIS for alien’s (Beth’s) visa.  And another $265 for the embassy fee in Manila.
2)  It will cost about $330 USD for alien’s physical in Manila
3)  Expect to pay around $30-$50 per night for a hotel room.  Her physical will require her to be in Manila for 4 days and 3 nights.  The actual physical is only 2 days but the flying time won’t line up with flights out of Manila, so she will have to stay an additional day to get a morning flight.
4)  Air flights from Iloilo or Bohol to Manila (for example) will run around $120-200 per round trip each time she has to fly.  Plus there is the Philippine Terminal fees you have to pay each time too.  These run around $30 to $40 each time you fly.
5)  She will need food money to eat with while in Manila.
6)  Alien will need to go to either Manila or Cebu for the CFO seminar that is required by the Philippine immigration service.  Do this after she has her visa so you she doesn’t have to go back later.  This cost around $40.  Plus the cost of getting to Cebu and food while there.  Flights from Iloilo or Bohol (for example) to Cebu run around $150 to $200 depending on when she flies.  She might be able to use a fast sea craft but will take more time and will have to plan accordingly.  When she is in Cebu or Manila, she will have to get rides either in Jeepneys or taxis.  Another cost here. She will not be allowed to board a plane without this CFO sticker in her passport!
NOTE:  After her interview, the embassy will keep her passport.  It will be returned in her visa package a few days later.  DO NOT OPEN THIS PACKAGE!!!  You can however remove her passport from it.  You will need it when you go to the CFO SEMINAR so they can affix the stamp in it.
7)  Each time she has to get a certificate from NSO, there will be a cost.
8)  Passport type pictures will cost according to how many you get.  Get enough so that you don’t have to go back for more.
9)  Charges for courier services will add up if you need to use them.
10)  You both will need good internet connection and a good printer and computer to accomplish this.  Philippine mail system can not be trusted to be reliable.
11)  Pay close attention to how they make you pay for the interview.  There is a specific way that this needs to be done.  Pay attention to the instructions.  For us, it was done at a bank and we had to have a deposit slip to show we had submitted the money in the US Embassy bank account.  Instructions are available when you receive your appointment letter from them.
NOTE:  Expect to pay out $3000 total (before even flying her to you) for this endeavor.  Little things will add up.  Fees, transportation, food, taxis, hotels, flights back and forth, all add up in the overall cost.  Be ready!  Once you start this, you can’t stop it to catch up your finances.
After anything is submitted you should receive an NOA (Notice Of Action) I-797 form indicating they have received your package.  This will happen a couple of times.  On this will be her case number and “A” number.  Keep this safe as this is the proof they have your package and those two numbers can be used to trace where your package is in the whole process.  This can be done on-line.

AFTER SHE LANDS HERE:    
1)  Get married as soon as possible.  You only have only 90 days to do this.  The sooner the better.  You will need any birth certificates, death certificates, and divorce papers you have in order to get a license.  Alien will have to have her passport showing she is in this country legally.
2)  Once you are married and you have the marriage certificate, she can apply for her Social Security card.  (Be aware that in NY state, a woman is not allowed to change her middle name as is the tradition in the Philippines.  Only her last name can be changed.  We did it later in court and it’s easy to do.   (If you do this, you will need to inform USCIS legally and pay a charge for it.  Better to just leave her middle name the same and avoid the cost).  If you decide to change her name legally, you don’t need a lawyer to change her name in NY state.  You can use the open court system on-line for the forms and submit them yourself at your local court house for $115.)  NOTE:  You don’t have to do this if she retains her same middle name she has prior to the marriage.  I suggest this path (leaving it the same as prior to the marriage) as it will save you money and headaches later.
3)  Once she has her S.S. card, she can apply for an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) working permission card.  If she submits this at the same time as her application I-130 Removal Of Conditions (for her green card for permanent visa status) it won’t cost her anything.  But if you do it separately, there will be a cost of around $495.  Better to submit it with the I-130 form for her visa.  You will probably receive the EAD card about a week or two before her green card, so many people don’t even bother with this if they can wait a short while.
4)  After you submit your I-130 form (for permanent residency on a 2 year card), you will receive an NOA or Form I-797.  This is simply a form that states they have received your application and it is now pending, meaning it’s up for review at some point.  A short time after that you will receive an appointment NOA stating you need to go to St. Albans Vt. (for our area) for the alien’s BIOs.  This is fingerprints and eye colors and other things like that are used to identify her.  Then you wait.  It will take a few months.  Then one day you will either get her green card or told to report for an interview.  Many people don’t even have to interview.  Once you have the 2 year card, you can sit back and relax and find work.  It's likely the new 10 year card will take 1 year to get.  Please note that on one of the NOA's you receive, it will indicate that her 2 year card is extended one more year.  You are safe to travel as long as you take this with you.  Most countries recognize it as does our own immigration people upon your return.  You need not worry.

AFTER THE MARRIAGE:
You should register the marriage will the Philippine consulate in NY city.  There is a form you can fill out and mail to them directly.  You’ll need certified copies of your marriage certificate too.  There is a cost to do this but it’s not expensive.  You will need to include a postage paid return envelope.  We used the Post Office prepaid envelopes - one big one to send it, and one small on inside the big one, to return it.  Within days or maybe a week, you will get it back and your marriage will now be registered with the Philippine NSO.  This isn’t actually a requirement but it’s good to do if you want to change her Philippine passport at some point.

PASSPORT NAME CHANGE:
If you wish to change the immigrant’s name on the passport (most people do to simplify travel), you will have to actually go to NY City to do it(for us anyway because we live in New York).  There’s a form you have to fill out and then surrender your passport.  This cannot be done on-line as the Philippines is converting to the e-passport system.  Renewal can be done like this but the original name change cannot.  Expect to be there for a little while.  It’s a little crazy there when you arrive and typical of a Philippine office scenario.  It’s easy to get to though.  You can take the train to Grand Central, exit the building and the consulate office is right around the corner and up two or three blocks.  Very simple.  We used Google Earth to map out how to get there.
If you’re planning on going back to the Philippines you can change this when you’re there.  However, you won’t get it back as quickly.  Consider this if you decide to do it there.  You might get stuck in the Philippines waiting for the passport to be returned to you via courier and subsequently miss your return flight.  Doing it here is way better.

Things Immigration will consider:
1)  The validity of the relationship.  They will check this by asking questions related to that relationship such as the petitioner’s address or vehicle color or favorite food.  They will ask for proof of meeting at least once within 2 years of the application.
2) They will ask about the alien’s family ties there, such as children and how they will be taken care of, who will provide for them or a home for them.  They don’t want people deserting their kids or leaving them to fend for themselves.  You need a plan.
3) Pictures are important to prove you have been together at least once prior to the application.  Take many.  You will need to submit about 6 of them in a specific way with the application.  Buy some zip-locks bags and put two pictures in each bag.  Mark the backs of the pictures for ID purposes too.  Make sure that you have some with family members and in places known in the Philippines.

Good Luck and if you need help, write to me.  I'll do the best I can to help along with all the other wonderful folks on this site.  God Bless them all!

"Remember, I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together". Red Green.

Nice List:

I suggest to get her Social Security Number as soon as possible. Rest up and head to SSA and get it, I would wait only about 3 days.

Makes life much easier and they will have SSN to open bank accounts or for other things as needed.  Then once you are married go back and get her SSN update with married name.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

This seem outdated as the G-325 form was discontinued in April or May.  In fact, if you include it now the USCIS will deny the petition for using the wrong form.  All info from the former G-325 is now included in the new I-129F form.

CFO is 400 php or around $8.00  The AOS and EAD now includes the SSN.

The rest of this information is awesome.  Thank you for sharing.

Edited by John & Rose

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
41 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Nice List:

I suggest to get her Social Security Number as soon as possible. Rest up and head to SSA and get it, I would wait only about 3 days.

Makes life much easier and they will have SSN to open bank accounts or for other things as needed.  Then once you are married go back and get her SSN update with married name.

Yes, this would of course work just as well.  I wrote this with the assumption that most people get married ASAP after the alien arrives here.  But you are correct. 

Timeline
43 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Question so they are asking for I-864 for the at the USEM at the K1 interview?

Last I heard they had quit asking for it and was only needed for AOS

It's possible now but when we went through it, he looked it over then.  That was 3/2015.  I suppose since it's a requirement to meet the minimum income level they have the right to ask ifg they feel the need.  But I assume if it got as far as the interview, it had already been approved.

Timeline
44 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

This seem outdated as the G-325 form was discontinued in April or May.  In fact, if you include it now the USCIS will deny the petition for using the wrong form.  All info from the former G-325 is now included in the new I-129F form.

Thanks!  I had no idea about that and didn't read it anywhere.  Perhaps I missed it.  This is good news though.  I always thought that it was redundant anyway.  My bad on the CFO.  I could have sworn that's what we paid.  But thanks!  I posted this as a guide and had hoped people would chime in with more current information.  People always come through.

The reason I posted it to begin with is to let people know it's not as simple as paying a check to immigration and off you go.  All the little ancillary fees add up and folks should know about them so they can plan ahead.  One guy I spoke with had no idea it was this involved.  I suggested he do what the rest of most of us did, to get on line and READ READ READ until your eyes hurt.  The go back the next day and read some more.  It's really a pretty simple process once you get the idea of what's going on.  And I'm glad there's checks and balances in this day and age.  So your input is a welcome addition to my post and I thank you.

Timeline

Thank you all!  I wrote this a couple of years ago and waited to post it.  How nice people chimed in to help me out.  Now I can better give someone else a hand to do their visa.  Please, keep it up and let's make the next couple get 'er done.

Doug and Ana

1 minute ago, dvensel1 said:

Thanks!  I had no idea about that and didn't read it anywhere.  Perhaps I missed it.  This is good news though.  I always thought that it was redundant anyway.  My bad on the CFO.  I could have sworn that's what we paid.  But thanks!  I posted this as a guide and had hoped people would chime in with more current information.  People always come through.

The reason I posted it to begin with is to let people know it's not as simple as paying a check to immigration and off you go.  All the little ancillary fees add up and folks should know about them so they can plan ahead.  One guy I spoke with had no idea it was this involved.  I suggested he do what the rest of most of us did, to get on line and READ READ READ until your eyes hurt.  The go back the next day and read some more.  It's really a pretty simple process once you get the idea of what's going on.  And I'm glad there's checks and balances in this day and age.  So your input is a welcome addition to my post and I thank you.

This is really an awesome guide. I was looking for a place that had all the costs right upfront and easy to read. I just know that the form was discontinued and my future asawa took the GCP class earlier this month so I knew it was 400 pesos. 

Thank you you for the guide. I was thinking about doing this once I got through the journey. I know the costs have gone up for Medical starting Oct 1. Are your prices the new or the old  ones?  

Again, thank you so much for this. 

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Variety of errors and outdated info.    Some has been caught by John. ;)   I won't take the time to go through the list ... for others do be aware of current requirements and documents.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

I wouldn't get married very quickly  Spend about 60 days together and then move toward getting married.  I have seen more than one person go back to Philippines during the 90 day period.  It so much easier sending a person home vs having to divorce and sending them home for both parties.

Then you always the handful of people who get married and take years to submit AOS paperwork, so they can get an extended trail.

2 hours ago, John & Rose said:

CFO is still around?  They still trying to sign people up for Credit Cards at CFO?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
3 hours ago, dvensel1 said:

Process for a K1 Visa
This is a pretty complete picture of what you need to do and to expect in this process.  Nothing here guarantees that something may or may not have changed recently and you need to check this out for yourself.  It serves only as a guide so you know what to expect.  I suggest you peruse sites like the:
~USCIS site:  https://www.uscis.gov/
~NVC site: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/nvc.html
~St. Lukes clinic: http://www.slec.ph/#
~US embassy in Manila:  https://ph.usembassy.gov/
~Consular Agency in Cebu City:  https://www.embassypages.com/missions/embassy19596/
~CFO Site:  http://www.cfo.gov.ph/
~Visa Journey:  http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm
~Bureau of Immigration - Philippines: http://www.immigration.gov.ph/
~NBI:  http://www.techyhow.com/national-bureau-of-invesigation-clearance-nbi-application-and-registration-online/

~YOU WILL NEED A GOOD COMPUTER WITH GOOD INTERNET ACCESS AND A PRINTER WITH INK!  Invest in a pocket WIFI if you need to with enough load.  Money well spent for this.

Definitions:  Alien: The person in the foreign country desiring to come here for  marriage.   
        Petitioner: The person in the USA who desires to bring the alien here for marriage.

1)  Secure all forms required:
    A)  I-129F form for a K1 Fiancé Visa.
    Note:  This form will have many places for information that you will not have to fill in.  Just fill in the things that pertain to your situation.  Example:  The USA does not have provinces, so you would not put anything in that box.  You would put in a state for the appropriate box however.
    B)  G-325 Bio Information form for both people.
    C)  g-1145 Electronic Notification Form (which allows them to use email to you for communications).  You will need a good working email address for this.
    D)  I-864 form - Affidavit of Support.  This is the form petitioner must fill out to prove he can support you (alien) and meets all the income requirements.
    E)  Passport size pictures of alien (Beth).  I suggest getting about 12 of them.    

F)  Passport size pictures of petitioner (David).  I suggest 8 of them.
    ~NOTE for E & F above:  Clearly write the name of the person on the back of each picture.
    G)  Proof of having met within 2 years of the application.
        1) Have plenty of pictures, especially with other people and in known places in your home area (Iloilo in this case).  Family pictures are good where it shows petitioner with alien’s family.
        2)  Receipts for remittances to Beth when she receives money from petitioner.
        3)  Copies of boarding passes when petitioner flew there.
    H)  Copies of alien’s (Beth’s) passport - especially the BIO page where her picture is. Make sure they are clear.  Scan them in color so you can print them out if you need to.  DO NOT take cell phone picture of this.  You need to actually scan them into your computer so you can print them out clearly.
    I) Copies of petitioner’s passport BIOs page to prove he’s a citizen of the USA.
    J)  If it’s possible, screen shots or your conversations on the internet.

Things that will be required:
    A)  Petitioner’s divorce decree if applicable.  A copy is fine but the actual decree is better.        
    B)  Certified True Copy of alien husband’s death certificate if applicable (NSO can provide this for you).  (NOTE:.  I would advise you get a copy of their marriage certificate or contract too.)
    C)  Alien’s birth certificate.  (NSO certified true copy)  You will need to tell them what it’s for because of the different color paper they will use.  Make sure you tell them it’s for a visa.
    D)  Certified copy of petitioner birth certificate.
    E)  Letter of intent from petitioner for his intent to marry immigrant.
    F)  Letter of intent from alien for her intent to marry petitioner.
    G)  A cover letter indicating the contents of the immigration package being sent.
    H)  NSO certificates for any other names the alien has used, such as her married name prior to her husband’s death.  VERY IMPORTANT.
    I)  Information regarding her deceased husband, such as birth date, death date.
    J)  Dates and locations of alien first marriage.  Both marriage date and date it ended as well as the location of each.
    K)  Petitioner’s proof of employment and income.  You will need bank  accounts (both savings and checking), pay stubs, etc. to prove petitioner has enough income for this.  Also, petitioner needs to prove he is employed and for how long and in what position as well as how much he makes.  The record goes back for 10 years employment.  THIS WILL BE  CHECKED OUT BY THE AUTHORITIES to verify it all.  If Homeland Security and USCIS deem his income as insufficient, they will not grant a visa.  
He will need bank statements, past pay stubs to back it up,  IRS income tax returns and W2’s for the past 3 years too.  These can be gotten on line on the IRS web site. They provide a handy way of getting and printing these documents.
    K)  NBI certificates for alien in all names she has ever used (such as married name and maiden name - even if she has taken back her maiden name)

FINANCIAL REQUIREMENTS YOU WILL NEED FOR THIS:
1)  It will cost about $535 USD for the actual interview and filing fee to USCIS for alien’s (Beth’s) visa.  And another $265 for the embassy fee in Manila.
2)  It will cost about $330 USD for alien’s physical in Manila
3)  Expect to pay around $30-$50 per night for a hotel room.  Her physical will require her to be in Manila for 4 days and 3 nights.  The actual physical is only 2 days but the flying time won’t line up with flights out of Manila, so she will have to stay an additional day to get a morning flight.
4)  Air flights from Iloilo or Bohol to Manila (for example) will run around $120-200 per round trip each time she has to fly.  Plus there is the Philippine Terminal fees you have to pay each time too.  These run around $30 to $40 each time you fly.
5)  She will need food money to eat with while in Manila.
6)  Alien will need to go to either Manila or Cebu for the CFO seminar that is required by the Philippine immigration service.  Do this after she has her visa so you she doesn’t have to go back later.  This cost around $40.  Plus the cost of getting to Cebu and food while there.  Flights from Iloilo or Bohol (for example) to Cebu run around $150 to $200 depending on when she flies.  She might be able to use a fast sea craft but will take more time and will have to plan accordingly.  When she is in Cebu or Manila, she will have to get rides either in Jeepneys or taxis.  Another cost here. She will not be allowed to board a plane without this CFO sticker in her passport!
NOTE:  After her interview, the embassy will keep her passport.  It will be returned in her visa package a few days later.  DO NOT OPEN THIS PACKAGE!!!  You can however remove her passport from it.  You will need it when you go to the CFO SEMINAR so they can affix the stamp in it.
7)  Each time she has to get a certificate from NSO, there will be a cost.
8)  Passport type pictures will cost according to how many you get.  Get enough so that you don’t have to go back for more.
9)  Charges for courier services will add up if you need to use them.
10)  You both will need good internet connection and a good printer and computer to accomplish this.  Philippine mail system can not be trusted to be reliable.
11)  Pay close attention to how they make you pay for the interview.  There is a specific way that this needs to be done.  Pay attention to the instructions.  For us, it was done at a bank and we had to have a deposit slip to show we had submitted the money in the US Embassy bank account.  Instructions are available when you receive your appointment letter from them.
NOTE:  Expect to pay out $3000 total (before even flying her to you) for this endeavor.  Little things will add up.  Fees, transportation, food, taxis, hotels, flights back and forth, all add up in the overall cost.  Be ready!  Once you start this, you can’t stop it to catch up your finances.
After anything is submitted you should receive an NOA (Notice Of Action) I-797 form indicating they have received your package.  This will happen a couple of times.  On this will be her case number and “A” number.  Keep this safe as this is the proof they have your package and those two numbers can be used to trace where your package is in the whole process.  This can be done on-line.

AFTER SHE LANDS HERE:    
1)  Get married as soon as possible.  You only have only 90 days to do this.  The sooner the better.  You will need any birth certificates, death certificates, and divorce papers you have in order to get a license.  Alien will have to have her passport showing she is in this country legally.
2)  Once you are married and you have the marriage certificate, she can apply for her Social Security card.  (Be aware that in NY state, a woman is not allowed to change her middle name as is the tradition in the Philippines.  Only her last name can be changed.  We did it later in court and it’s easy to do.   (If you do this, you will need to inform USCIS legally and pay a charge for it.  Better to just leave her middle name the same and avoid the cost).  If you decide to change her name legally, you don’t need a lawyer to change her name in NY state.  You can use the open court system on-line for the forms and submit them yourself at your local court house for $115.)  NOTE:  You don’t have to do this if she retains her same middle name she has prior to the marriage.  I suggest this path (leaving it the same as prior to the marriage) as it will save you money and headaches later.
3)  Once she has her S.S. card, she can apply for an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) working permission card.  If she submits this at the same time as her application I-130 Removal Of Conditions (for her green card for permanent visa status) it won’t cost her anything.  But if you do it separately, there will be a cost of around $495.  Better to submit it with the I-130 form for her visa.  You will probably receive the EAD card about a week or two before her green card, so many people don’t even bother with this if they can wait a short while.
4)  After you submit your I-130 form (for permanent residency on a 2 year card), you will receive an NOA or Form I-797.  This is simply a form that states they have received your application and it is now pending, meaning it’s up for review at some point.  A short time after that you will receive an appointment NOA stating you need to go to St. Albans Vt. (for our area) for the alien’s BIOs.  This is fingerprints and eye colors and other things like that are used to identify her.  Then you wait.  It will take a few months.  Then one day you will either get her green card or told to report for an interview.  Many people don’t even have to interview.  Once you have the 2 year card, you can sit back and relax and find work.  It's likely the new 10 year card will take 1 year to get.  Please note that on one of the NOA's you receive, it will indicate that her 2 year card is extended one more year.  You are safe to travel as long as you take this with you.  Most countries recognize it as does our own immigration people upon your return.  You need not worry.

AFTER THE MARRIAGE:
You should register the marriage will the Philippine consulate in NY city.  There is a form you can fill out and mail to them directly.  You’ll need certified copies of your marriage certificate too.  There is a cost to do this but it’s not expensive.  You will need to include a postage paid return envelope.  We used the Post Office prepaid envelopes - one big one to send it, and one small on inside the big one, to return it.  Within days or maybe a week, you will get it back and your marriage will now be registered with the Philippine NSO.  This isn’t actually a requirement but it’s good to do if you want to change her Philippine passport at some point.

PASSPORT NAME CHANGE:
If you wish to change the immigrant’s name on the passport (most people do to simplify travel), you will have to actually go to NY City to do it(for us anyway because we live in New York).  There’s a form you have to fill out and then surrender your passport.  This cannot be done on-line as the Philippines is converting to the e-passport system.  Renewal can be done like this but the original name change cannot.  Expect to be there for a little while.  It’s a little crazy there when you arrive and typical of a Philippine office scenario.  It’s easy to get to though.  You can take the train to Grand Central, exit the building and the consulate office is right around the corner and up two or three blocks.  Very simple.  We used Google Earth to map out how to get there.
If you’re planning on going back to the Philippines you can change this when you’re there.  However, you won’t get it back as quickly.  Consider this if you decide to do it there.  You might get stuck in the Philippines waiting for the passport to be returned to you via courier and subsequently miss your return flight.  Doing it here is way better.

Things Immigration will consider:
1)  The validity of the relationship.  They will check this by asking questions related to that relationship such as the petitioner’s address or vehicle color or favorite food.  They will ask for proof of meeting at least once within 2 years of the application.
2) They will ask about the alien’s family ties there, such as children and how they will be taken care of, who will provide for them or a home for them.  They don’t want people deserting their kids or leaving them to fend for themselves.  You need a plan.
3) Pictures are important to prove you have been together at least once prior to the application.  Take many.  You will need to submit about 6 of them in a specific way with the application.  Buy some zip-locks bags and put two pictures in each bag.  Mark the backs of the pictures for ID purposes too.  Make sure that you have some with family members and in places known in the Philippines.

Good Luck and if you need help, write to me.  I'll do the best I can to help along with all the other wonderful folks on this site.  God Bless them all!

You dont need Tax Return for the last three years only the current year. That was wrong information. Also as for being employed what about seasonal workers like commercial pilots that only work 6 months per year and make 100k per year and they are off for 6 months. for that 6 months they are unemployed but they have return to work every year in May.

This information is good but with a few mistakes.

5 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

CFO is still around?  They still trying to sign people up for Credit Cards at CFO?

CFO=Commission for Filipinos Overseas

Yep, still around and you can’t get on the plane without their sticker. No credit cards that I know of. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.