Lacosta

Driver license.

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Dominican Republic
Timeline

Hi All:

My husband is coming from Dominican Republic. He has a valid driver license over there. Can he use it here in the State of NY when he arrives?

TIMELINE

29 December 2015 - married in Dominican Republic

USCIS Phase

21 November 2016 - I-130 sent to USCIS Chicago Lockbox 

22 November 2016 I-130 received at Nebraska Service Center

25 November - NOA1 received in the mail

???? - NOA 2 via e-mail, app and USCIS website

????- NOA 2 received in the mail 

????- Case Was Sent to Department of State 

NVC Phase

????- Case received by NVC

???? - NVC case number assigned

???? -  DS-261 Completed Online
???? - Welcome e-mail received, AOS fee paid
????- IV fee Invoiced, IV fee paid
????- DS-260 Completed
???? - AOS and IV package sent

--------------------------------------------------------
??? - Scan date

??? - Case Complete

See the "drivers from other countries" section in this link. He cannot use his overseas license as he will be a resident, not a visitor. He must take the written test, road test and attend a 5-hour course to get a New York license:

https://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/exchange-out-state-driver-license

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

you have entered a grey area

a foreign license ables a person to drive in NY state until  he is a resident

according to state tuition guidelines you are not considered a resident until u have lived in the state a year (use to be 6 months when i went to Cornell)

but u can apply in your country and get an international driving license 

you are required to take the written test and get the learner's permit as soon as u r a resident of NY state

to take the test, you have to prove u live there like by having a SS card, NY ID, mail delivered to u in a NY state address, utility bills at that address, etc.

so ,   when r u a resident????

29 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

so ,   when r u a resident????

The NY DMV site is quite clear on this:

1Definition of Resident per Section 250 (5) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law: "As used in this section, the term 'resident' shall mean domiciliary, that is, one who lives in this state with the intention of making it a fixed and permanent abode. It shall be presumptive evidence that a person who maintains a place of abode in this state for a period of at least ninety days is a resident of this state."

To live in a house, a home, an apartment, a room or other similar place in NYS for 90 days is considered "presumptive evidence" that you are a resident of New York State. A police officer can use this as evidence to issue a traffic ticket if you drive in New York State without a New York State driver license or vehicle registration.

A judge considers the law and the evidence of your intent and decides if you are a resident of New York State. If you pay taxes or your children attend school in another state, a judge considers these facts to decide if your intent is to make NYS a "fixed and permanent" residence. According to this law, students from other states or from other nations who attend school in New York State are usually not considered residents of NYS. DMV does not decide if you are a resident of New York State, if you must get a NYS driver license, or if you must register your vehicle in New York State.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

i guess that depend on each state , i went to pass the driver licence and the person in charge in the DMV told me that my case need to be approved first and to bring the i-797 that will show that . but he said that i can drive with my moroccan licence and have my passport or any thing that can show i entred legally to the country with me till i pass the test . the problem is my wife tried to add me to her insurance car but the company refused that till i get my ID 

Edited by Mehdi-T

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

i lived  40 years in NY state

they consider a person transitional until He, himself,  can prove all of the above

it is often hard for a newbee to get the lease (no credit) 

job would be the best that requires gc or permission to work

hard to get proof until a substanital time has been spent in this state

and i went directly to the DMV site to get my informaiton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.