kccb

US Embassy or Consulate

36 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm filling out an I-130 for my Canadian husband. We both live just outside of Toronto, Ontario. I am on questions 61-62 in the I-130. 

the beneficiary is in the us and will apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident at the us citizenship and Immigatrion services. 

61a city or town

61b state

i put n/a because i'm applying outside the us.

the beneficiary will not apply for adjustment of status in the us but he or she will apply for an immigrant visa abroad at the us embassy or us consulate.

62a  city or town

62 b province

62 c country

my question is... there is a us consulate in toronto which is 1 hour away and the us embassy in ottawa that is 6 hours away. am i supposed to name an embassy or consulate in 62 a-c?

Only the Montreal consulate processes immigrant visas in Canada. You should name this one.

https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
7 minutes ago, kccb said:

my question is... there is a us consulate in toronto which is 1 hour away and the us embassy in ottawa that is 6 hours away. am i supposed to name an embassy or consulate in 62 a-c?

If only it were that simple. Unfortunately, the only one in Canada that will process immigrant visas is the consulate in Montreal, QC.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, broppy said:

If only it were that simple. Unfortunately, the only one in Canada that will process immigrant visas is the consulate in Montreal, QC.

thank you!

6 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Only the Montreal consulate processes immigrant visas in Canada. You should name this one.

https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/

Thank you! 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks geowrian and broppy I knew someone would have this answer! I was just wondering if I should write Montreal (since only they do interviews) or Calgary (since we live here and technically there's a consulate).

kccb, I'm filling it out for my Canadian wife, hoping to turn it in this week. Maybe our timelines will be similar :) Also, have you sorted payment? I made an appointment at our consulate for Friday but not even sure if that's correct. Unfortunately it was the only way to get a human; they will only give you an automated system when you call. If it's not the right way, I'm hoping they can at least tell me what to do. I don't have a US checkbook anymore, only debit card. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Courtney86 said:

Thanks geowrian and broppy I knew someone would have this answer! I was just wondering if I should write Montreal (since only they do interviews) or Calgary (since we live here and technically there's a consulate).

I was in Calgary too. It really sucks to be in the Prairies for US immigration - you can't get the medical done anywhere locally either. You've basically got a choice of making an extra day trip to Surrey, BC or spending a week in Montreal. Surrey will courier the results to you the day after the medical - the one in Montreal needs three days before you can pick up the results.

4 hours ago, Courtney86 said:

kccb, I'm filling it out for my Canadian wife, hoping to turn it in this week. Maybe our timelines will be similar :) Also, have you sorted payment? I made an appointment at our consulate for Friday but not even sure if that's correct. Unfortunately it was the only way to get a human; they will only give you an automated system when you call. If it's not the right way, I'm hoping they can at least tell me what to do. I don't have a US checkbook anymore, only debit card. 

It's probably pointless going to the consulate - the fee for filing I-130 needs to be paid in USD with a cheque or money order drawn on a US bank. And later on when it comes to paying fees to National Visa Center, you'll also need US bank account details to make the payments online.

Timeline
8 hours ago, Courtney86 said:

I saw for payment it payment mentioned getting a money order. that is probably what i'll do. do you have to go to the consulate to file the papers? I've read that you can mail them? i'm hoping i can mail them because the consulate is 8 hours one way for me.

Wow! this week. My goal is to have them done the beginning of novmeber. Good luck!!

Timeline
3 hours ago, broppy said:

I was in Calgary too. It really sucks to be in the Prairies for US immigration - you can't get the medical done anywhere locally either. You've basically got a choice of making an extra day trip to Surrey, BC or spending a week in Montreal. Surrey will courier the results to you the day after the medical - the one in Montreal needs three days before you can pick up the results.

It's probably pointless going to the consulate - the fee for filing I-130 needs to be paid in USD with a cheque or money order drawn on a US bank. And later on when it comes to paying fees to National Visa Center, you'll also need US bank account details to make the payments online.

So i should open a US bank account for later in the process?

also, I had a daughter in March and am going to file for her as well. Do I file a whole Cr-1 application for her? including the I-130?

3 minutes ago, kccb said:

also, I had a daughter in March and am going to file for her as well. Do I file a whole Cr-1 application for her? including the I-130?

Or use your husband's account. :)

Congrats! Before you file, is the daughter a USC already?

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

Or use your husband's account. :)

Congrats! Before you file, is the daughter a USC already?

My husband is Canadian, doesn't have a US account.

Thanks! No, she is a Canadian citizen

Timeline
4 minutes ago, kccb said:

I saw for payment it payment mentioned getting a money order. that is probably what i'll do. do you have to go to the consulate to file the papers? I've read that you can mail them? i'm hoping i can mail them because the consulate is 8 hours one way for me.

Yup, money order will work. You need to file the I-130 petition at the Chicago lockbox - https://www.uscis.gov/i-130-addresses

2 minutes ago, kccb said:

You'll need one eventually when you move south, so might as well get one sooner rather than later.

2 minutes ago, kccb said:

Did she acquire US citizenship through you? (Are you a US citizen that has been physically present in the U.S. or its territories for a period of at least five years at some time in your life prior to the birth, of which at least two years were after your 14th birthday). If so, file a consular report of birth abroad and get her a US passport.

Timeline
1 minute ago, broppy said:

Yup, money order will work. You need to file the I-130 petition at the Chicago lockbox - https://www.uscis.gov/i-130-addresses

You'll need one eventually when you move south, so might as well get one sooner rather than later.

Did she acquire US citizenship through you? (Are you a US citizen that has been physically present in the U.S. or its territories for a period of at least five years at some time in your life prior to the birth, of which at least two years were after your 14th birthday). If so, file a consular report of birth abroad and get her a US passport.

I was told that my I-130 will go to the Montreal consulate, I"m supposed to send it to Chicago? I can open a US bank account while still in Canada?

No i moved to Canada when I was 7, been here for 19 years other than living in the states for 8 months in 2012. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, kccb said:

I was told that my I-130 will go to the Montreal consulate, I"m supposed to send it to Chicago? I can open a US bank account while still in Canada?

Eventually it will get to Montreal, but you need to mail it to Chicago first for processing by USCIS (read, they'll sit on it for months and eventually get around to processing it).

Yes, you should be able to open a bank account - might take a bit of footwork to find one that will accept a Canadian address - maybe use a friend or relative in the US for mailing address?

No i moved to Canada when I was 7, been here for 19 years other than living in the states for 8 months in 2012. 

Then, yes, she'll also need an I-130 petition filed and will eventually get a CR-2 (or IR-2) visa. There're details in the wiki here.

Edited by broppy

Timeline
1 minute ago, broppy said:

Eventually it will get to Montreal, but you need to mail it to Chicago first for processing by USCIS (read, they'll sit on it for months and eventually get around to processing it).

Then, yes, she'll also need an I-130 petition filed and will eventually get a CR-2 (or IR-2) visa. There're details in the wiki here.

Thanks for all your help! I have one more question. I'm reading theres a stand alone I-130... who is eligible to submit this? I was under the impression I had to do everything under the "Assembling the I-130 Package: Checklist " on this page. http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2 for both my husband and my daughter

Timeline
52 minutes ago, kccb said:

Thanks for all your help! I have one more question. I'm reading theres a stand alone I-130... who is eligible to submit this? I was under the impression I had to do everything under the "Assembling the I-130 Package: Checklist " on this page. http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2 for both my husband and my daughter

That link's for adjustment of status when the alien spouse is already in the US. You want to follow the instructions at http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1 (which is the "standalone" I-130 application). You'll need to complete separate I-130s for your husband and daughter, and an I-130A for your husband only.

Edited by broppy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.