Spotinik

Denied B2 Visa under 214(b). What should I do?

14 posts in this topic

Applied for a US Visa to visit my uncle, as well as visit a couple close friends for a month. I'd amassed as many documents as possible to prove that I do intend on returning, but the consular never bothered looking at or asking for the documents, and instead denied me a Visa based on the interview.

I'm 28, unmarried with no children, and am self-employed (I do freelance work as an artist). I am able to afford my expenses, as I have more than enough money in my savings (they'd never asked me how I intend to support myself to begin with). I do not have my own place, and still live with my parents currently.

I was asked the following questions:

1. What is the purpose of your trip? "I intend to visit my uncle in Seattle, then fly to Virginia to visit a couple of my friends."

2. Have you been to the US before? "Yes, when I was much younger."

3. What other countries have you been to? "Egypt, Turkey, and Amman."

4. Who do you live with? "My parents."

5. What do you do for a living? "I am self-employed, and I do freelance work as an artist."

My best guess is that I was denied because I still live with my parents, and am self-employed which I understand raises red flags. However, I was not expecting to be rejected as I was under the impression having familial ties, a bank account, been to different countries before and have returned every time (Last time I'd been ouf the country was in 2012, is a gap in travel history a possibility for denial?) was evidence for intent to return... Anyway, I would like some advice on what I can do to strengthen my case. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The biggie, which Country?

PS Amman is not a Country

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

What country?

You have traveled to other countries which is a good sign. But a young, single, freelance artist? What's to stop you from using your talents to make it big in the US? That was just a hypothetical question a CO would be thinking when they see your case.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

15 minutes ago, Boiler said:

The biggie, which Country?

PS Amman is not a Country

I should have probably said Jordan. They're very interchangeable over here, at least in my native language. Mix up, I guess. :\

13 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

What country?

You have traveled to other countries which is a good sign. But a young, single, freelance artist? What's to stop you from using your talents to make it big in the US? That was just a hypothetical question a CO would be thinking when they see your case.

15 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

What country?

I forgot to reply to this, sorry!

I'm from Israel. That's fair though, the way you word that. How would you strengthen a case like that?

More travels. Buy property/home. Start a family. High profile stable job.

Who knows. There is no perfect answer. You could simply apply again next year with no changes to your situation and you may get a visa.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline

I thought Israel and Turkey were not on the best of terms?

I am going to guess those countries you have travelled to probably did not help.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, Boiler said:

I thought Israel and Turkey were not on the best of terms?

I am going to guess those countries you have travelled to probably did not help.

Not aware of such; and the trip was when I was much younger. My brother had been to the same countries as I have, and had no issue getting a B2 visa. (Interestingly, he was given a B2 visa to attend a conference while also being unmarried and unemployed somehow. Which is part of why this is all confusing to me.)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
49 minutes ago, NYCruiser said:

SIngle, young, 'freelance artist' is the reason why

Most likely this is the cause. It would be better if you owned some property of your own, or were at least renting a place, and had a more permanent job, that you would be likely to return to.

On 10/11/2017 at 10:57 AM, Spotinik said:

1. What is the purpose of your trip? "I intend to visit my uncle in Seattle, then fly to Virginia to visit a couple of my friends."

The "friends" in Virginia... must be good friends to go all that way. Even after visiting the uncle over here on the west coast, a trip to Virginia to see "friends" is not exactly round the corner. It's a few thousand miles. Is it more than friendship with any of them? Could be that the CO felt that it was more than friendship and you were looking to marry and stay...

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

3 hours ago, JFH said:

The "friends" in Virginia... must be good friends to go all that way. Even after visiting the uncle over here on the west coast, a trip to Virginia to see "friends" is not exactly round the corner. It's a few thousand miles. Is it more than friendship with any of them? Could be that the CO felt that it was more than friendship and you were looking to marry and stay...

You bring up a good point, I wonder if she thought that because of the distance. Even if I just mentioned only one of those two things, I feel like I would have gotten denied anyways. 

I have two very close friends who live there and know eachother as well. We have all known eachother online for a few years now, and both of them invited me over to go hang out with them. They wanted to take me sightseeing, try out new foods, and they wanted me to experience Halloween (I love the aesthetic of it all, but we don't do Halloween here) and go to Howloscream. 

I'm actually also worried she might have judged me based on my slight stutter (might look like lying? Idk, might be overthinking) I'm hearing impaired w/a cochlear and as a result I stutter sometimes. I was admittedly nervous because her tone through the entire conversation was condescending, and she seemed annoyed I'd ask for her yo repeat something a couple times because I didn't hear her.

Timeline

I think you are over thinking, sounds like a standard denial.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.