8 posts in this topic

Timeline

hi to all, and happy weekend!

my husband and i filed our K-3 visa in Mexico City on March 1. On April 18, we got a letter from mexico city that says that our papers have been forwarded to ciudad juarez. in their letter, it says that cd juarez will contact us and give us the information we will need. however, there is no case number or anything like that.

what should i be getting ready? and has anyone else recently filed in mexico city? any ideas about time frames?

last thing, the letter came in my name, but with de and my husband's last name. (like they do in latin america) the thing that surprised me is that i have never changed my name because i wanted to avoid problems with my passport, FM-3, driver's license...etc. isnt that kind of weird that they would just make up a name for me?! well, i guess i should be happy, because at least my name is correct, and i do plan to change my name...i just wont be doing it until i get to the us. :)

thanks for any help you can give!

cindy

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
hi to all, and happy weekend!

my husband and i filed our K-3 visa in Mexico City on March 1. On April 18, we got a letter from mexico city that says that our papers have been forwarded to ciudad juarez. in their letter, it says that cd juarez will contact us and give us the information we will need. however, there is no case number or anything like that.

what should i be getting ready? and has anyone else recently filed in mexico city? any ideas about time frames?

last thing, the letter came in my name, but with de and my husband's last name. (like they do in latin america) the thing that surprised me is that i have never changed my name because i wanted to avoid problems with my passport, FM-3, driver's license...etc. isnt that kind of weird that they would just make up a name for me?! well, i guess i should be happy, because at least my name is correct, and i do plan to change my name...i just wont be doing it until i get to the us. :)

thanks for any help you can give!

cindy

hola senora (it is senora now, right? :D)

You could not have filed for a K-3 visa in Mexico City.. did you file an I-130 petition for alien relative?

If so (most likely), then DF has done what they do--your petition was approved and is being forwarded so the visa application can take place. CDJ will contact you about that.

Unfortunately, I think the wait for an immigrant visa interview is long right now.. like going on 12 months long. Suggest you scroll down to the Latin America forum here in VJ to find other CDJ immigrant visa (CR/IR) applicants.

Looks like they just Mexicanized you there.. it's ok for you to use both names, especially with the local convention of 'de HisLastName'. You don't have to do anything different.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

yes, now i am senora. :) senoracindy sounds funny though. ;)

sorry, yes we filed the I-130 along with the I-129. (at least i think that is what i filed. i have them downstairs and i dont feel like going to look!)

i have been reading the mexico link, but have yet to find anyone else that has a timeline similar to mine.

thanks for your response, meauxna. you are always so quick to write back!

cindy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
yes, now i am senora. :) senoracindy sounds funny though. ;)

sorry, yes we filed the I-130 along with the I-129. (at least i think that is what i filed. i have them downstairs and i dont feel like going to look!)

i have been reading the mexico link, but have yet to find anyone else that has a timeline similar to mine.

thanks for your response, meauxna. you are always so quick to write back!

cindy

If you filed both, you should get a K3 interview date within 4-6 months after CDJ receives it. Only CDJ can give you your CDJ case number. You can email them directly - the address should be on their website.

Timeline

hi kitkat,

you are always so quick to post back too! thanks!

i sent them an email on friday, but they havent written back yet. (not much surprise about that) hopefully they can at least give me the case number, because they dont get too much information correct.

is it true that it will only be 4-6 months more (approximately?!) that would be so wonderful!

thanks for the info. i will try to keep all posted on what i hear.

cindy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

4-6 months seems to average for K3s at CDJ but they do have quite a backlog. It's better than 12 months for a CR1! They usually take a few days to reply to email. Are you filing a waiver as well? If so, be sure to search about the new pilot program on google.

Timeline

i dont think that we have to file a waiver. my husband was previously denied due to drug use, but we have waited out the 3 year ban. my understanding of what they have told us is that when our time comes, we will just go to cdj again. somehow we need to show that he is drug free (which he has been for the last 3 years), so we figure we will bring blood tests and the like. plus he is going to a psychologist, so that will help. *so much fun* i have never really gotten a clear answer about how we are suppose to show that he is drug free, but i think this will work.

but as far as i know, we will not need a waiver.

cindy

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Oh, sorry to speak so quickly then.. have a look next time you're downstairs tho, because I'm curious. First, since you posted in the DCF Forum I made the auto-leap to thinking that you'd filed at USCIS Mexico City and Second, I-129f can't be adjudicated out of the US.

I guess you could've filed I-130 to DF and the I-129f to the US?

As you've seen, it makes a major difference on how quick to the interview.

Hope it's good news! :)

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.