NeeRC

Help please- re visa and smoothest immigration process with marriage

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, NeeRC said:

I hate it here in the U.K. Also he'd have to get a passport and start again. Not difficult but there's many things that has happened here in U.K. to me n I wanna escape it. Like there's nothing here for me- I hated coming back and I was not bothered if the darn plane crashed on the return trip.. hey at least being together we make the most of eachother. The only worry is I don't wanna be a burden on him but he says he doesn't mind so much if we can be together eventually.. I'm 18 and trying to find a good career path n get started. He's been abroad but he used a military pass thing instead of a passport when he was stationed  S.K 

18? Wow...young to get married....

Maybe instead of getting married, go the K1 thing. However, while there are less months before approval, it is more expensive...you also will not be able to work for about two months AFTER the submission of the AOS, post marriage....:-(

OP, if you want to escape the U.K and begin a new life in the U.S, I strongly advise to start a new life legally. Get married when you visit, file the CR-1 when you are still there and go home when your itinerary and plane ticket say so. Complete your medical exam and visa interview in the U.K, round everything up -- maybe ship out boxes with belongings you want to keep close and enter the US as a permanent resident. Just do a quick courthouse wedding and eventually plan a bigger wedding where family & friends can witness and celebrate with you. 

We all want to be together fast, as soon as possible. We spend some heavy money on this process but it's 100% worth it because all is done legal and without any problems. 

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

I would also ask what you "hate" so much about the U.K. Most of what you dislike will follow you or be present in the USA too. It's not the land of milk and honey that many people who gave only visited think it is. Getting married should never be to "escape". Have you sought help for depression? Sounds like you could use it. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
2 minutes ago, JFH said:

I wound also ask what you "hate" so much about the U.K. Most of what you dislike will follow you or be present in the USA too. It's not the land of milk and honey that many people who gave only visited think it is. Getting married should never be to "escape". Have you sought help for depression? Sounds like you could use it. 

There’s nothing here. I’m not depressed just given a bad hand of cards at the start of life which has followed me. I have no family or close relatives here. Meeting him and this opportunity to be together and the happiest I’ve ever been- I’m making the most of it. I’ve had a tough few months making things just about work.. bc everything’s has been rising against my efforts. UK system is something that has caused a lot of issues before.. a lot of going backwards and never getting forward. I can see USA ain’t gonna be like the grass being greener kinda thing... 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Dutchster said:

OP, if you want to escape the U.K and begin a new life in the U.S, I strongly advise to start a new life legally. Get married when you visit, file the CR-1 when you are still there and go home when your itinerary and plane ticket say so. Complete your medical exam and visa interview in the U.K, round everything up -- maybe ship out boxes with belongings you want to keep close and enter the US as a permanent resident. Just do a quick courthouse wedding and eventually plan a bigger wedding where family & friends can witness and celebrate with you. 

We all want to be together fast, as soon as possible. We spend some heavy money on this process but it's 100% worth it because all is done legal and without any problems. 

Yea this seems the best way. Thank you. I appreciate fully everyone’s support and I’m glad I’m not the only one facing this. I was kinda out of my depth and legally is best n legit of course. Otherwise I’d be screwing myself over before I can even start. The joke thing is we are against marriage the way the state gets involved.. so we will plan an anti wedding wedding and be just for us and God one.. 

Timeline
On 10/10/2017 at 6:57 PM, NYCruiser said:

18? Wow...young to get married....

Maybe instead of getting married, go the K1 thing. However, while there are less months before approval, it is more expensive...you also will not be able to work for about two months AFTER the submission of the AOS, post marriage....:-(

Yea it's quite young lol. Hey I'm trying to find a solution. I'm preferring the CR1 option- if I go in April for a visit and we have a sort of wedding or a courthouse marriage- what's the next step? Can I file immediately for the CR1 as soon as we are married n then leave... or?? I'm trying to explain this to him too- he's working 24/7 (over the road) so he rarely gets chance to get online... 

id appreciate some advice n everyone has helped so far! Also it gives us chance to save for the next set of flights etc 

6 hours ago, NeeRC said:

Yea it's quite young lol. Hey I'm trying to find a solution. I'm preferring the CR1 option- if I go in April for a visit and we have a sort of wedding or a courthouse marriage- what's the next step? Can I file immediately for the CR1 as soon as we are married n then leave... or?? I'm trying to explain this to him too- he's working 24/7 (over the road) so he rarely gets chance to get online... 

id appreciate some advice n everyone has helped so far! Also it gives us chance to save for the next set of flights etc 

Check the requirements for marriage in the state where you plan to marry in April. Some have a waiting period. We are in Washington state and the waiting period here is 3 days, for example. You can file the I-130 as soon as you have the certified marriage certificate back from the office. You must then leave the country by the end of your authorized stay. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:08 AM, NeeRC said:

We just want to be together and it costs a lot going back and forth. With the addition of the overall visa costs.... 

We understand. After all, you are the only couple who wants to be together.

The rest of us are not really concerned with how long the process takes and how much it costs to travel back and forth.

On 10/10/2017 at 3:39 PM, larnar1309 said:

I married my husband in Dec 2016 and we Filed our CR-1 on Jan 1st while I was still in the states. 

After I came back to the UK it was hard because we had lived in Japan together for several years and difficult being apart. When I went back to visit him I was told the same thing as you that you can file so that you can stay in the US whilst the CR-1 is processing - however during this time you would not be able to work. I don't know how you feel about that but I didn't wanna be a burden to my husband and not contribute to rent etc. or our earnings. It was much easier to continue working in the UK whilst we were doing this process. 

Now we are used to long distance and its true - distance sometimes makes the heart grow fonder. It has been nice missing each other and going for visits. If anything it has shown us how strong our relationship is and that we can get through anything. Even the 3am phone calls that leave me dead at work the next day ;P haha

Good luck whatever you decide but like everyone has mentioned - don't commit fraud or risk any red flags through this process. They will quickly deny you if they suspect anything like that.

Can you please tell me where this information came from about staying in the US while the CR-1 is processing? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.