Jump to content

Best Visa option, UK/US Couple

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Quick overview of our situation.


I'm from the UK, And my girlfriend is from the US, at the moment I'm visiting her on an ESTA. We're planning to get married ASAP but were wondering which Visa best suited our circumstances. We don't mind which country we stay in while it's being processed, neither of us wants to be separated during this. We don't meet the financial requirements but would be able to get a family member to co-sign if that's an option. Thanks in advance.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MrChamploo said:

Well do you wanna get married in the US?

Are you tight for money? (Don't mean to pry)


I personally advise marrying outside the states and going for the CR-1.

What do you prefer? To marry her at the US? Get a Fiance visa.


We're renting a place at the moment in the US but neither one of us is employed (Just moved here and spent saved money on seeing each other/deposit and rent.) She's looking for work at the moment, and then when my 3 month ESTA runs out we're going to England and I have somewhere to live rent-free. We don't have a lot of money at the moment but the plan is to begin to save starting now, and then when we move to England. Neither of us is bothered where/when we get married, we're weighing up visa options as to where and when would be most opportune.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So i really advise the CR-1 for multiple reasons.


1. It's cheaper by like 650$ (Not exact but you get the idea)

2. You are already living together so time does not matter as much. Some like the Fiance visa because you get to be together faster.


Please understand though you have to prove you are active in the US. Have to prove domicile.


on Form I-864, petitioners must prove that they have the ability to financially support the visa applicant(s) if necessary. But the petitioner must alsoprove that his or her country of domicile is the United States.


Do some research. A-lot of research. Get all the info you can. That is my personal opnion to you,my advice to you.


Edited by MrChamploo

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do some research into Direct Consular Filing for the CR-1 when you both move to the UK. I'm not well versed in it since we did a straight-up CR-1, but I know it means you get to skip USCIS and NVC. Look at the guides on this site and also check out a site called britishexpats.com. They have a forum similar to this and I think some guides too. Definitely research until your eyes fall out of your head. It's not difficult, but you have to pay attention to detail and do a bit of waiting around.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Back to Top ↑

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Try asking our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.