Rahulsurya202

Can a Green Card holder sponsor his brother-in-law?

14 posts in this topic

To explain further, that is not how work visas are given.

You have to find a company (usually a large corporation) that is willing to file for you. When that company files for you one of the requirements is to show the US government that the work can't be carried out by qualified US citizens. Also, the process is expensive (thousands of dollars). And for certain work visas they are only a limited amount per year given.

A relative or friend simply filing for a foreigner does not work. Otherwise, there would be many who would do it.

Hope this helps.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Having an MBA will help you find a job offer from a company that could sponsor you. However, your particular skill set would have to be exemplary. Companies by law are supposed to give preference to US citizens first, and outsource (sponsor people from other countries) only when they cannot find a US citizen qualified for the job. In other words, if you would like to live and work in the US then you must obtain an education that is highly sought after. A great example would be a doctor, as GPs are always in demand. Research H1B visa occupations and have a look at what qualifies. Keep in mind that if you find your field of study/profession does technically qualify for a US work visa, that does not mean you will get one. As I said before, preference will always be given to US citizens first and you will only obtain a visa if the company proves they cannot find a US citizen to fill the position. The first place to start after getting your MBA would be to apply with different companies in the US. If they have a need to fill a position you qualify for and cannot find a US citizen then they may sponsor you. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I am going to say in principle yes, depends on the details.

I will ask one of our friendly Mods to move this to the right forum.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Bringing Family Members of Permanent Residents to America forum to Work Visas forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

If you do an MBA in the US (like you say) you will have an F1 visa and then you have the chance of OPT for 1 year (getting a job for 1 year). If that goes well, the job can sponsor your H1B. 

It all depends on how much money you have to spend on an MBA (or how big a loan you want) and how good your GMAT and qualifications are. I have friends who did MBA at Chicago, Wharton, etc, and they all got jobs and work visas, but they spent hundred of thousands on the MBA.

Filed: Other Country: Romania
Timeline
On 10/6/2017 at 10:58 AM, Mrsjackson said:

Having an MBA will help you find a job offer from a company that could sponsor you. However, your particular skill set would have to be exemplary. Companies by law are supposed to give preference to US citizens first, and outsource (sponsor people from other countries) only when they cannot find a US citizen qualified for the job. In other words, if you would like to live and work in the US then you must obtain an education that is highly sought after. A great example would be a doctor, as GPs are always in demand. Research H1B visa occupations and have a look at what qualifies. Keep in mind that if you find your field of study/profession does technically qualify for a US work visa, that does not mean you will get one. As I said before, preference will always be given to US citizens first and you will only obtain a visa if the company proves they cannot find a US citizen to fill the position. The first place to start after getting your MBA would be to apply with different companies in the US. If they have a need to fill a position you qualify for and cannot find a US citizen then they may sponsor you. 

My husband is sponsored as an "other worker" no degree needed, the company proved nobody wanted the job, I140 is approved and the visa is current. If the brother in law has a company and he can get a labor certification (multi step process that involves proving that there is nobody who qualifies for the job, and you do have to specify on the application for the labor certification if he is a relative or not, but that shouldn't be an issue) then with that he files an I140 once that gets approved, the visa needs to be current and he can either do AOS or consular processing. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

@Coco8 has answered your question and to add more, let's say if your brother-in-law is working for a XYZ company, he may refer you through the "employee referral" but that will only take you to the screening process of your resume and if your resume gets shortlisted for the interview then it's in your calibre to pass the interview and then the company will sponsor for H1B. 

K-1 (I-129F):

15-Jul-2016- I-129F filed

17-Mar-2017- Interview

19-APR-2017- K-1 Visa Approved

Adjustment of Status (I-485 & I-765):

07-AUG-2017- Date filed

14-AUG-2017- NOA1

04-MAY-2018- AOS interview/Approved

Lifting Conditions (I-751):

01-May-2020- Date filed

04-May-2020- NOA1

16-Sep-2021- Approved/No interview

Naturalization (N-400):

23-Feb-2023: Filed online

23-Feb-2023: NOA1

15-Mar-2023: Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, maryLu said:

My husband is sponsored as an "other worker" no degree needed, the company proved nobody wanted the job, I140 is approved and the visa is current. If the brother in law has a company and he can get a labor certification (multi step process that involves proving that there is nobody who qualifies for the job, and you do have to specify on the application for the labor certification if he is a relative or not, but that shouldn't be an issue) then with that he files an I140 once that gets approved, the visa needs to be current and he can either do AOS or consular processing. 

That's awesome

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2017 at 4:11 PM, Coco8 said:

If you do an MBA in the US (like you say) you will have an F1 visa and then you have the chance of OPT for 1 year (getting a job for 1 year). If that goes well, the job can sponsor your H1B. 

It all depends on how much money you have to spend on an MBA (or how big a loan you want) and how good your GMAT and qualifications are. I have friends who did MBA at Chicago, Wharton, etc, and they all got jobs and work visas, but they spent hundred of thousands on the MBA.

Ditto re the MBAs from good schools. I know 5 or 6 people from my home country who did MBAs at top schools who applied for jobs in the US and they basically all had a few options to choose from upon completion. The big names go a long way (and of course the schools themselves do a lot to help place their graduates).

I’d add a couple of things. It’s not clear if the OP plans to apply for an MBA imminently, but it’s not very common for the good schools to take someone that young as they usually don’t have the type of work experience/progression that the top programs are looking for.  But, even programs that are not top programs or all that good can still be very expensive.  So, not necessarily related to immigration (assuming of course that the OP is not looking at this MBA to simply be a way to get a visa into the US) but it’s definitely worth taking a second look to ensure the cost-benefit of doing an MBA in the US is going to be what the OP expects.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.